R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-06-2003, 04:51 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Kenji osaka is a pimp
Nytrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:23 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Things are different all over the world guys. I have no doubt that in Europe, Serpent rules. In the Far East, I am sure it’s Mugen and Yokomo. But on the same note, what else has there been in a high quality, professional kit until recently? How available is the NTC3 and it’s support equipment to you guys over seas? The 200mm nitro sedan class is so new, and in such a constant state of development, that manufacturers are always going to be taking “the next step”, making “the next best thing”. But what really changes? What failed on all the other cars at the Worlds that “gave” AE the win? The new Serpent had a transmission failure, a common problem with those cars, right? I don’t think anyone else had problems other than that, besides the AE guys. Mark finished the last 45 minutes of the race with no return spring on his steering, does that qualify as a problem? Everyone had an equal chance at our Nationals, and at the Worlds. The fact remains that AE TQ’d both, placed 6 cars in the “A” at the Nationals, 4 cars in the “A” at the Worlds, and won the Worlds, with a car that was barely 6 months old. They deserve respect, especially in a class “dominated” by belt driven cars. None of the NTC3 owners claim that their car is the “end all”, it’s simply at least as good as anything else.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:30 PM   #18
Tech Master

I am not saying that the NTC3 is a bad car. I just dont agree that shaft drive is better than belts.

Here, Associated have a good support group. Maybe one of the biggest apart from Serpent.

Another way of looking at it is the 705 was racing in its first major race at the World Cup and that was why it was having teething problems with its gearbox etc. The car wasn't even on the market. Yokomo made the Top 10 but the car also had major problems with stripping gears or something.

But the fact remains that in the UK the NTC3 has not been a contender in the foam class at all.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:34 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

God save the Queen if someone decides to run one...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:46 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Good one Harry, good one.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:54 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

On a more serious note, what percentage, or maybe concentration, do you think the market holds in the UK vs. say the U.S., or Japan? I mean, how many guys show up to one of your club races, or a National event? Do you guys over seas get alot of amateurs, or is it mostly the pros that show? This is just to satisfy my own morbid curiosity.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:56 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

having been to the track in ohio and having taken 2 different cars like the mtx-2 and ntc3 with me i can tell you ntc3 has a major advantage on that track

my mtx-2 was great in the infield but on the straight i had to watch my back because the other cars were so much faster

ntc3 had the advantage all the way nearly frictionless drivetrain on a track that is all about speed and almost nothing else

there wasnt much you could run into and break stuff the corners had berms that if you cut to close you would just jump 10-20ft and it wasnt about handling cause it flows really well and there was tons of traction so it came down to 1 thing speed and that is were the ntc3 shines the brightest

i just couldnt keep my ntc3 together for more than a couple qualifiers i blame the car and sleep deprivation for all my problems

i dont believe for a second that ntc3 is the better car for me cause the tracks i race at are all much smaller tight and technical

and as far as AE redesigning and upgrading the ntc3 dont hold your breath they dont like to admit when the have a problem and they dont regularly release new stuff maybe a factory team ntc3 will eventually come out but it will most likely just have aluminum and carbon upgrades that make little real difference
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:57 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

I'll tell you what I would really like to see, the nitro sedan that Losi has been rumored to be working on. Now that could really be interesting.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:58 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

i am interested to see which current touring car the hpi version looks most like

my guess mtx-3
Old 02-06-2003, 06:00 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

that would be cool ive always liked losi cars

but i dont care much for the plastic or carbon parts on losis or AEs
Old 02-06-2003, 06:02 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

I wouldn't be suprised, not to knock them, because everyone does it to some extent, but their electric prototype looked like a hopped up TC3.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Kenji osaka is a pimp
LMAO!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:09 PM   #28
Tech Master

Thats a hard question to answer. Look at the size difference in the two countries to start with.

At club level their are a lot of amateurs (granted) but at our club the only guys running NTC3s (3 in total) are all sponsored.

I dont know what the actual percentages would be else where because or major competitions have a limit on the numbers competing (between 50-100 in most cases). A large number of these are took by Pro racers but a lot of amateurs race too.

I would say there will be more NTC3's this year but the current trend is going towards the Serpent 705 and Mugen MTX3. We started with 6 Yokomos at our club and during the past year it dropped to 3. I was the only one running one competitively. But I will be retiring my Yokomo to Rubber racing this year as I also have went to Serpent for the Foam class.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:16 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by NTC3NUT
On a more serious note, what percentage, or maybe concentration, do you think the market holds in the UK vs. say the U.S., or Japan? I mean, how many guys show up to one of your club races, or a National event? Do you guys over seas get alot of amateurs, or is it mostly the pros that show? This is just to satisfy my own morbid curiosity.
In my state we would get around 60-80 people at a major event, nothing like the US. We don't have pros over here which is why most Australian racers do not have rabid brand loyalty. The top guys over here get alot of their equipment free but they dont get paid to race in the main. The best drivers in my state have all just changed car brand and they still win

The TC3 is not popular here mainly due to tank problems and the fact that it requires more repairs due to damage (allegedly I am just passing along what I hear)
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:16 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jason102276
having been to the track in ohio and having taken 2 different cars like the mtx-2 and ntc3 with me i can tell you ntc3 has a major advantage on that track

my mtx-2 was great in the infield but on the straight i had to watch my back because the other cars were so much faster

ntc3 had the advantage all the way nearly frictionless drivetrain on a track that is all about speed and almost nothing else

there wasnt much you could run into and break stuff the corners had berms that if you cut to close you would just jump 10-20ft and it wasnt about handling cause it flows really well and there was tons of traction so it came down to 1 thing speed and that is were the ntc3 shines the brightest

i just couldnt keep my ntc3 together for more than a couple qualifiers i blame the car and sleep deprivation for all my problems

i dont believe for a second that ntc3 is the better car for me cause the tracks i race at are all much smaller tight and technical

and as far as AE redesigning and upgrading the ntc3 dont hold your breath they dont like to admit when the have a problem and they dont regularly release new stuff maybe a factory team ntc3 will eventually come out but it will most likely just have aluminum and carbon upgrades that make little real difference
The NTC3 is I admit faster on flowing tracks but it does struggle on tighter tracks which we have a lot of here. But the extra speed is not all down to the shaft having less friction. As I showed several people, the NTC3 has what id effectively known as active rear suspension. As the rear of the car droops under acceleration the rear wheels toe-out which in effect gives more straight line speed (BMT was the first to use this system in the mid 90's on their 95R Active and then on the Pantera). Myself and a colleague are working on a new system similar for the Yokomo to prove that it can be just as quick when using the system.