R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #46
Tech Initiate

Can't complain man, I really love the rock steady idle and decent power coming out of this mill. It has about 9 tanks through it now and it it showing more power. I don't regret getting this engine I love it.
Speedbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #47
Tech Initiate

My foams just burn up off the line!!!!!!

I see more frequent tire replacements with this engine
Old 10-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to apollo

yeah its a torquey engine....now try a modded one
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #49
Tech Initiate

Yeahawww! Torque is impressive. I will look into the gear ratio you are running in about 2 weeks. It has tooooo much power off the line so I am sure with your gear recommendation it will have a little less of the line but a lot more top speed

I'll keep you posted

Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #50
Tech Initiate

Bad news. I was enjoying my car and then I hear the exhaust get louder.
When I got it close to me I pinched the fuel one and turned it off.

I looked carefully and noticed both of the header screws came off with vibration of the engine I guess.

I forgot to put some lock-tite on the screws

I will be getting a new gasket and screws with lock-tite this time around
Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 AM   #51
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to apollo

threadlock anything metal to metal on a nitro, its a no brainer, you could ahve caused it to run a little lean too, shouldnt be that big of a deal seeing as i pretty much ripped my pipe off on the mt2 and it just kidna sat there and idled
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #52
Tech Initiate

Yeah I know what you mean about it running lean without pressure from pipe.

Good thing It was going slow at the time so I managed to drive it back slowly and shut it down. It was still idling fine before shut down.

I have not put it back together yet b- cuz I will be leaving out of town for vacation so I have been busy packing and stuff.

When I get back I will tear up the asphalt once again

Later
Old 12-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice

Default RS4-3

Hi I am planning in buying an HPI RS4-3 18ss new, with a resonable price. From what I read about it, it seems not a bad car for a beginer. The engine that come with the kit, any views about it? and you can use a starter box to start it up?

Joe F
Malta
Joe Tanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #54
Tech Initiate

Hello to all. I know this is an old topic and I have been too busy to play with my car lately. I took it out the other day and I must say that I am very happy with the engine. The only thing I have not done is change the gears on the car. I am running the stock 2 speed: purple color clutch bell 18/22 with the spurs being 43t for 2nd gear and 47t for first gear.

I am already used to this speed and need a lot less torque and more higher speed. My tires rip up! Pieces of foam just rip constantaly off the line. I notice the engine can get more top end.

I am not sure if I can go with the red clutch bell 19T/23T and 43/39 for the spurs or maybe 43/37 if possible.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Anyone have this 37t spur on rs4 3?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #55
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbang View Post
Hello to all. I know this is an old topic and I have been too busy to play with my car lately. I took it out the other day and I must say that I am very happy with the engine. The only thing I have not done is change the gears on the car. I am running the stock 2 speed: purple color clutch bell 18/22 with the spurs being 43t for 2nd gear and 47t for first gear.

I am already used to this speed and need a lot less torque and more higher speed. My tires rip up! Pieces of foam just rip constantaly off the line. I notice the engine can get more top end.

I am not sure if I can go with the red clutch bell 19T/23T and 43/39 for the spurs or maybe 43/37 if possible.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Anyone have this 37t spur on rs4 3?

Thanks.
You can use any combination of spur and pinion gears. Larger pinion and smaller spur gears will give you more top end. I would go with the largest pinion and smallest spur available for the 2nd gear to start with. If the engine bogs when shifting, then gear up the 1st gear too. To save your tires, don't just yank the trigger. You got more motor then tire right now, so you need to learn throttle control for the best launches.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #56
Tech Initiate

Thanks Rapid Roy. I have heard that tire wear is very normal with the engine because of torque. I have tired taking off slower with trigger control and gradually punch the heck out and it still burns up tires. I am telling you that it really rips! I was just wondering what is the highest gear combo I can use on first and second gears to obtain higher speed with a decent accelaration off the line as well.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #57
Tech Initiate

Hello again. I know this is an old topic but I had not have time to play with my toy too much

Anyways I have probably ran a good 2 gallons through my .18 CVR-X on this car and I just ordered new gears for it to get some higher top end speed.

I got the RED HPI pinion gears 19T and 23 T.

And I also got the HPI spurs 43T and I bought the 39T but also found a 37T one so I will give that one a shot since I am looking for top end here.

Not sure if you guys still around to comment.

The 37t is available at towerhobbies. Maybe this will give a 60MPH speed hopefully.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #58
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Speedbang....

I've just about read through most of this post and was curious as to what top speeds you are achieving now? As far as Top end an acceleration go.....you can't have both (without spending for it (in terms of getting a bigger/better engine))

So you have to ask yourself is it worth it to modify your engine or buy a new engine, just to be the king of your parking lot.

Gearing will help you slightly , but as those other guys said the limit of the engine will not allow for much more improvement. Believe it or not there are plenty of .12 engines that would cream your engine, simply because they rev much higher. The torque your engine produce is awesome, which is great for acceleration, but for top end you need more RPM's

Some things you can try along with your new gears (if you buy them...is getting a longer stinger for greater top end speed) Also don't for get to adjust your shifting points on your two-speed to get the most out of your current engines RPM's

Also get a nice aero-dynamic body for your car...Hell..get a 220 Lola body. I'm sure your friend will start crying foul if you came out there with that

Lastly, consider getting a bump box for startign your car and lose the pull-starter...that alone could add a couple hundred RPM's to your engine. (less rotating mass)

Lastly the 4tech 3.3 is really .20 engine with mad torque...meant for the Revo and Jato off road vehicles. I've seen my friends 4tech ripe tires right off the rims and destroy gears, clutches and transmissions.....you name it, but the fastest he's gotten his gotten it go is 67.8 mph (clocked by police radar gun) Close, but not 70mph. He's using 33% Traxxas fuel too.

If you want a mill that will run him down....I've heard great things about this engine. Others on this forum can attest to it greatness.......and.......wait for it.........its only............$175
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:09 AM   #59

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbang View Post
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone knows how fast would a stock geared RS4 3 SS type go with an O.S. .18 CVR-X (pull start) engine? Has anyone clocked this on a speed trap before?

I am thinking of getting one of these but I am curious of the speed and durablility. What pipe would be good for this? Is this engine a direct bolt on or do I have to modify for it to fit? What motor mounts and flywheel? Would I need any drivetrain hop ups to handle the new power?

Any help would be very appreciated. I am currently running a O.S. .12 CVR-X on this car with the stock gears and pipe and it is probably hitting 40-45mph. Need more speed though

Thanks.
Get different gearing , I dont think the .18 is going to go any faster as a .12 would rev higher.

BTW I had a similiar setup and topped out a 42mph. The .18 would go faster , but by how much not so sure....gearing is what you need to work with.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote