Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
carb tuning help! plz. >

carb tuning help! plz.

carb tuning help! plz.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default carb tuning help! plz.

i have a nitro RS4 ver2. w/ a .15fe with a tuned alluminum pipe. im running 20% nirto could you guys possibly give me a good carb setting? i tightened the needle that richens it all the wa in and then 4 turns out and it runs good when the glow ignitor is on but as soon as i take it off it doesent want to run right, i was running it last ngiht on the setting that was on it when i recived it but it was running too lean and was overheating, how many turns should i back this needle out? and when i start it, it wants to take off like the idle is so high it just wants to go. i pick the car up and the weels spin.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ti-isfly
i have a nitro RS4 ver2. w/ a .15fe with a tuned alluminum pipe. im running 20% nirto could you guys possibly give me a good carb setting? i tightened the needle that richens it all the wa in and then 4 turns out and it runs good when the glow ignitor is on but as soon as i take it off it doesent want to run right, i was running it last ngiht on the setting that was on it when i recived it but it was running too lean and was overheating, how many turns should i back this needle out? and when i start it, it wants to take off like the idle is so high it just wants to go. i pick the car up and the weels spin.
It sounds like your low speed needle is to lean and your idle screw is not set correctly... First, put in a new fresh glow plug... How much fuel have your ran through that motor already??? Do you have a temp gauge??? These questions are important as you may have a worn out motor that needs to be replaced... Do these things first and see what happens... If you have the base line settings for that motor, set them there... If you don't know, call HPI and ask for tech support at area code 949-753-1099. That motor is not a common motor and guessing at the needles settings will have you chasing them all day... Once that's done, now to set you low speed needle first... With the motor running, pinch the fuel tubing... The one from the fuel tank to the carb and hold it tight... Your motor should run fine for about 4-5 sec. and then rev up... It it takes longer then 4-5 sec. then your low speed needle is to rich... Now if it revs up right away, then it's to lean... Adjust your low speed needle to idle for 4-5 sec. while pinching the fuel tubing. Once that's done it's putting much set. Restart your motor and lean the high speed needle one hour at a time until the motor is running and reving correctly... leaning one hour at a time is not one full turn, it's one tick on the hour clock sort to speak... Put the car on the ground and run it... Adjusting the high speed needle until you have good power, you're seeing smoke from the tune pipe and your temps are not above 240*... That should get you in the ball park... If you still can't figure it out after all that, take it to your lhs/Local hobby shop... and have them set it for you... Good luck.

RC_Alan
Old 09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Tech Rookie

allright, thanks. i put an o.s. hot plug in and it runs like a chamo now, i guess the plug was toast. i put the needle back where it needs to be and its running alot better, i still have to adjust the idle so that it doesent try to take off on its own. thanks for the help.