R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2003, 06:05 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 88
Send a message via AIM to deanspoors
Default Rody Roem V's Micheal Salven

ok i know the rody is more expensive than the MS but is it worth it. my mate is "supposedly" getting one and is bragging about it! any problems with the rody? heard them knock off glowplugs easily! are they much faster? acceleration - top-speed

Thanks, Dean
deanspoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:20 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Corse-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Posts: 2,121
Default

All two engines are very good and quite powerful, my opinion is choose what you want (I have two Rody versions of engines are very powerful and reliable... My next engine would be another Rody when we talk about modified engines). But many people swear for MS versions.

My RB's 1700-215 and 315R are quite powerful and they don't knock plugs. Blowing plugs are a matter of low quality fuel, improper plug selection and incorrect carb adjustment or engine messed.
__________________
Cheers,
Corse-R
---
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:47 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Weatherford, Texas
Posts: 111
Default

The Rody 5 port would probably be faster due to the 6.5mm carb bore. More fuel in = more revs to a point. I have seen the Rody run and it is very fast!!!
ronin8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:25 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
modellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,447
Default

It would be hard to really choose between the two other than the price. Both Rody Roem and Michael Salvin are top engine tuners and modifiers.

I would have to say that in open reg tuning Rody would be the better of the two. I have used both NovaMega and RB engines over the years. Novamega tend to produce a couple of great engines but then they start to go of the boil. A few engines later they are back.
Very inconsistent for Top End racing.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:02 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
eddiethefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montebello, California
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ronin8451
The Rody 5 port would probably be faster due to the 6.5mm carb bore. More fuel in = more revs to a point. I have seen the Rody run and it is very fast!!!
YES, it is fast. I myself have a JP Black S5 and Rody RB 5 port, gotta tell you that they're both are fast engines.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:51 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
border r/c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 534
Talking the cost

you can also try a sts race monster rs3 much cheaper and great power just a tip
__________________
http://www.the-border.com
Europe's largest 1/8 scale 1/10 rc car warehouse.

3Racing-Ride-BRP-Team Orion-XRAY-HUDY-Serpent-Kyosho-Lrp-Speed Passion-MR33-JG-and many more
border r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
Manticore's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Heaven
Posts: 9,999
Default Re: Rody Roem V's Micheal Salven

Quote:
Originally posted by deanspoors
ok i know the rody is more expensive than the MS but is it worth it. my mate is "supposedly" getting one and is bragging about it! any problems with the rody? heard them knock off glowplugs easily! are they much faster? acceleration - top-speed

Thanks, Dean
I think you have got a MS already? why you start up another thread of the same thing? Are you trying to hear from people that MS 5 port is the best to please yourself?

The answer is no. Serpent MS is expensive and the spec of it is same as novarossi S5. a telfon coated back plate wont make your engine fast. may be the carb. After all. it is not a mod engine but the Rody one is.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
modellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,447
Default Re: Re: Rody Roem V's Micheal Salven

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
I think you have got a MS already? why you start up another thread of the same thing? Are you trying to hear from people that MS 5 port is the best to please yourself?

The answer is no. Serpent MS is expensive and the spec of it is same as novarossi S5. a telfon coated back plate wont make your engine fast. may be the carb. After all. it is not a mod engine but the Rody one is.
In the UK the Serpent parts are a lot cheaper in comparison. I run a Yokomo and while in America the parts are cheaper for these you could hardly buy them here compared to the Serpent. Same with the engines.

But the MS versions are modified. Thats why they are called Michael Salven Novamegas. But again my reply would be that there is hardly any difference between the 2 if properly tuned
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:18 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default Re: Re: Rody Roem V's Micheal Salven

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
I think you have got a MS already? why you start up another thread of the same thing? Are you trying to hear from people that MS 5 port is the best to please yourself?

The answer is no. Serpent MS is expensive and the spec of it is same as novarossi S5. a telfon coated back plate wont make your engine fast. may be the carb. After all. it is not a mod engine but the Rody one is.
Agree!! The Rody 5 port (I own one) has a huge amount of work done to it. The only other motor with the same level of work is a Ritchie Performance RTU/RTO. My JPs are not even close to a Rody and cost aroud the same (well for me anyway).

The Rody 5 port features:

- 6.5mm carb inlet
- biturbo and chamfered crank with altered input timing
- case work to match the porting
- sleeve work to smooth flow, both bottom of sleeve and ports
- Milled piston and ceramic/chrome mix on the sleeve coating
- .21 sized head.

MS 5 port (from what I can tell)

- standard carb with some sort of plastic inlet
- standard 5 port crank
- appears to be no additional case work
- standard s5 sleeve/piston
- teflon coated rear plate.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 05:47 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 88
Send a message via AIM to deanspoors
Default Re: Re: Rody Roem V's Micheal Salven

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
I think you have got a MS already? why you start up another thread of the same thing? Are you trying to hear from people that MS 5 port is the best to please yourself?

The answer is no. Serpent MS is expensive and the spec of it is same as novarossi S5. a telfon coated back plate wont make your engine fast. may be the carb. After all. it is not a mod engine but the Rody one is.
well if you read my first message you will understand why! my friend was going to get a rody and i wanted to know which was better but hes not getting one now so thats okay! oh and where i come from novamega is cheaper than novarossi
deanspoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:35 AM   #11
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default Re: Re: Re: Rody Roem V's Micheal Salven

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
MS 5 port (from what I can tell)

- standard carb with some sort of plastic inlet
- standard 5 port crank
- appears to be no additional case work
- standard s5 sleeve/piston
- teflon coated rear plate.
The MS carb is similar to the Rody or the JP type but not as big as the Rody tuned.

The crank is chromed and has a single turbo scoop like the S5.

Don't have any idea if the crankcase was worked upon. I don't think so.

The sleeve is not the same a standard S5. The end of the sleeve at BDC tapers off (chamfered) a little.

The teflon coated rear plate is correct.

Notwithstanding the above, my preference would be the Rody tuned. But then again, I personally seen an MS smoke a Rody on a back straight Like modellor mentioned, the tuning makes the difference on track in the final analysis.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 04:28 AM   #12
MDS
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 42
Default ha ha ha

Hi deano i had you going, you were absolutly crapping yourself......hahahahahahahaha
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #13
bt
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 107
Default MS sleeve

I don't think you can say that the ms sleeve is the same as a s5 if you look at the s5 sleeve on the novarossi site and the sleeve of the ms 5 port on the mytsn.com site their seems to be considerable sleeve work
bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #14
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hi
Posts: 20
Default stomping that 5 port

First I would like to say the rody motor didn,t show me anything special for the amount of work done to the motor and the cost you dummys are paying for it you should be slap like a redhead step child. I seen a outlaw 3 port by pineapple motors run just as fast as that rody 5 port .Outlaw three port major work done to it cost $150 dollors 60 for mod work total $210 not $300.Also no production motor like the ms or sirio or nova,etc.should run as fast as that rody.I bet for money, richey 5 port, smelts 5 port or pineapple 5 port mod work would stomp that rody 5 port. Before people take this the wrong way Bring your rody to nc state race march 15 and 16 for a stomping down the 215 foot straightway I can drive so the rest of the track doen,t matter to me just bring it. PINEAPPLE MOTORS SIRIO 5 PORT MOD P.s. I have a 6.5 carb too and all that does is let more air in not fuel more air more power. bring it.
sirio .12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:33 PM   #15
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Singapore
Posts: 110
Default Re: stomping that 5 port

Quote:
Originally posted by sirio .12
First I would like to say the rody motor didn,t show me anything special for the amount of work done to the motor and the cost you dummys are paying for it you should be slap like a redhead step child. I seen a outlaw 3 port by pineapple motors run just as fast as that rody 5 port .Outlaw three port major work done to it cost $150 dollors 60 for mod work total $210 not $300.Also no production motor like the ms or sirio or nova,etc.should run as fast as that rody.I bet for money, richey 5 port, smelts 5 port or pineapple 5 port mod work would stomp that rody 5 port. Before people take this the wrong way Bring your rody to nc state race march 15 and 16 for a stomping down the 215 foot straightway I can drive so the rest of the track doen,t matter to me just bring it. PINEAPPLE MOTORS SIRIO 5 PORT MOD P.s. I have a 6.5 carb too and all that does is let more air in not fuel more air more power. bring it.
Ok...so you're trying to tell everyone that you're fast and good. SO WHAT!?!

For all i know, you can port whatever cheap engines and get super performances out of them to beat whatever branded engines in the market (without even breakin in or running in the engines). BUT....may i ask...how long does your engine last you? Definetely no way longer than any of those branded engines...

Its a fact.... brought it!
Gravedigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Nova Mega EVO4 or EVO5 Micheal Salven Parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 03-16-2006 05:55 PM
Rb X12 Rody Roem Modified Fs New |8t R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 05-08-2005 03:37 PM
.12 Rody Roem superslow R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 04-09-2005 06:53 AM
NOVA .21 EVO-4 ( Micheal Salven ) racer_RR R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 28 10-15-2004 02:18 PM
RB C5 Buggy Rody Roem NIB Jspecrcr R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-04-2004 03:43 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:10 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net