R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default explain gearing

Can some one please explain gearing to me, I got a used mtx-3 prospec and it came with a bunch of gears that I dont know how to use. correct to if im wrong running .8 means that you should have no more then a 6tooth gap? my current gearing is 20/28 and 60/53 will this work or is this way off all the gears I have except for the default pinions and Im trying to make this work with out breaking anything. I was also wondering how come the default gears are so different then the serpent 710
rcjayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to apollo

if you add up the total number of teeth on the first gear (pinion and spur) it should also be the same as the total 2nd gear

example: my rs4

1st: 19t+43t=62t
2nd: 23t+39t=62t

get it?
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Actually you can mix and match pinions and spurs however you like on the MTX-3 , be it the 0.8 or 1.0 module. It's true that some cars need to be geared in certain combinations , like the RS4 3 but most "track" cars have pinions that retain the same overall diameter despite the number of teeth , so you can gear them any which way.

As to why the 710 and other cars have different teeth pinions and spurs , that's just one part of the equation. When your gearing your looking at the Final Drive Ratio , cars have different internal ratios so you can have different pinions and spurs between cars but still arrive at the same FDR.
budachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the reply, I think im getting it now. since I have a bunch of gears I should be able to do something like 20/28 and 53/60 and be OK? what is the thing about the 6 tooth max?

thanks again
Old 09-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The thing about the 6 tooth maximum is that most of the times the engine will not be able to pull such a big split. In other words, when the tranny shifts into 2nd gear the engine will bog down, and because of lack of power it will stop accelerating.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

with these new powerful .12's this should no longer be a problem right?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

right ?
they just strip gears now! lol
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm running the new Orion CRF Wasp .12 and I had accidently matched a 5 tooth spread on first and 6 tooth spread on 2nd and....oops!! spur gear was gone! Don't mix gear spread numbers, make sure it stays consistent or you will be replacing gears about every 5 minutes, if that.
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Tech Master

You need to ask this question in the MTX-3 thread because the answers you have gotten so far may not be correct. First, if your car came with 0.8 pitch gears only use those to run the car. The 0.8 gear pitch is more efficient and will make your car accelerate faster then the standard pitch. If you choose the standard pitch, use ONLY standard pitch pinions and spur gears. Next, I beleive that the Mugen 0.8 pinions are actually variable pitch. The outside diameter of the gear for all the different pinions are the same. That way you can use any combination of 1st gear pinion/spur with any 2nd gear pinion/spur gear. You need to confirm this in the Mugen thread though.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
You need to ask this question in the MTX-3 thread because the answers you have gotten so far may not be correct. First, if your car came with 0.8 pitch gears only use those to run the car. The 0.8 gear pitch is more efficient and will make your car accelerate faster then the standard pitch. If you choose the standard pitch, use ONLY standard pitch pinions and spur gears. Next, I beleive that the Mugen 0.8 pinions are actually variable pitch. The outside diameter of the gear for all the different pinions are the same. That way you can use any combination of 1st gear pinion/spur with any 2nd gear pinion/spur gear. You need to confirm this in the Mugen thread though.
He's correct. You can use any combination of gearing you want as long as it is within the same pitch. The days of a certain "tooth split" is gone.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Just to make it clearer in my first reply , I meant that you can mix and match pinions and spurs for 0.8 and 1.0 however you like within their respective module/pitch. The parts list for your car will list all the pinions and spurs you can use.

And "tooth split" is not gone , some cars still need to be geared specifically , mostly the RTR's , but yeah not likely to be seen on a "race" car nowadays. What your hearing about this so called "6 tooth gap" is probably someone trying to tell you not to gear too wide apart between first and second , as someone else mentioned on this thread. And even with the power of .12 nowadays , under or over gearing will still net you a sick engine. Only way to gear a car is ... correctly?

As far as gearing goes , just run whatever is optimal for your track and engine. If there are some people that run the same car ... ask em! As long as the engine doesn't blow up and it goes like a rocket , your all set.

Here's a link for you too regarding your question about gear/ratios.

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/cars/fastmath.asp

All the best!
budachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

thanks, you guys are awesome and im getting a better understanding now, I posted this in the mugen mtx 3 thread and I didnt get many replies (I guess everyone has a mtx 4 now ) the last thing I need to figure out is there a way to look at the gears and tell which ones are 1.0 and .8 because the guy that sold me the car gave me a mixture of both and I dont want to mix them or I will really have problems.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Tech Adept

How do u guys determine what gear ratios is fastest for a particular track? Do u try the stock setting first, then time the laps, then change different gear ratios and time the laps? Or u remove the second speed spur and pinion, try different first speed spur and pinion combo and time the laps to find out what is the fastest first speed gear combo, then try second speed gear combo likewise?
raceblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjayy
thanks, you guys are awesome and im getting a better understanding now, I posted this in the mugen mtx 3 thread and I didnt get many replies (I guess everyone has a mtx 4 now ) the last thing I need to figure out is there a way to look at the gears and tell which ones are 1.0 and .8 because the guy that sold me the car gave me a mixture of both and I dont want to mix them or I will really have problems.
You will need to count the teeth, I then took a xacto marked last number of pinion v for 25, ll 22 ect.........

I have attached a link that should help you figure out which gears are which.
I run a prospec .8 and a plain mtx-3 for my back up 1.0 it was a pain until I marked the pinions.
http://www.mugenseiki.com/mtx3-gearratio08m.pdf
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker
You will need to count the teeth, I then took a xacto marked last number of pinion v for 25, ll 22 ect.........

I have attached a link that should help you figure out which gears are which.
I run a prospec .8 and a plain mtx-3 for my back up 1.0 it was a pain until I marked the pinions.
http://www.mugenseiki.com/mtx3-gearratio08m.pdf
thanks, OK - from what I understand by counting the teeth what ever chart it falls under (1.0 or .8) thats what pitch it is?