R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default AE Starter Box + 12V Battery

Well, I was charging up my gel cells in both my AE starterboxes and getting ready to store them for winter when I noticed that the 12V battery I have in my box for my MTX-4 had a gouge in it from where the starting wheel contacted the battery. Im usually pretty anal about tipping the box so the battery is away from the wheel but guys who pitted for me probably never noticed anything different.

Does anyone make a 12V battery holder or have a solution to this? Should I play it safe and toss this battery or can I keep using it? The gouge is about 3mm deep at its deepest point.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:37 AM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Well, I was charging up my gel cells in both my AE starterboxes and getting ready to store them for winter when I noticed that the 12V battery I have in my box for my MTX-4 had a gouge in it from where the starting wheel contacted the battery. Im usually pretty anal about tipping the box so the battery is away from the wheel but guys who pitted for me probably never noticed anything different.

Does anyone make a 12V battery holder or have a solution to this? Should I play it safe and toss this battery or can I keep using it? The gouge is about 3mm deep at its deepest point.
As long as it doesn't leak then it should be fine, as for a holder just use a velcro or better yet use a double sided tape to secure the battery to the starter box and if you want to play it safe on the area that have been gouge by the wheel then you can use shoe goo to fill up the hole, when it dries it will be as good as new hope this helps
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:

I am sure you have 2 used 3300 mah Nimh batteries around.......remember I have 2 AE boxes like you, and both using the same gel cell from Tower..............THOSE ARE GARBAGE, not saying the batteries are garbage, but I did not know these gel cell need to be constantly CHARGED at all time, including the WINTER TIME...........one of my gel cell will never last for 1 day of racing, so I gave up and re-pack 2 used and old 3300 cells and use it at the Chicago MWS.......2 old cells lasted me a full weekend of MWS for 1/8th and 1/10th with JUICE left behind, not to mention, the box is more powerfull then using the gel cell when fully charged...

At least, charging 2 cell @ 6amps only take 30 minutes....and I know they are charged afterall........the gell cell, on the other hand, need DAYS and never know they are charged or not.........

Not to mention, my boxes are now A TONS lighter then before........

Back to your box.......I don't have a mount for the gel cell, but I cutted a thick "foam cord (board)" and place it between the gel cell and the rubber wheel MOUNT (one of the black plastic piece from your box) in order to prevent the cell SLIDE toward the wheel.........never gave me the wheel rubbing problem untill the cell die on me........
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yea, i remember the foam board stuff you put in. It worked well for the NTC3 because of the way the wheel mounted but with the MTX4, the wheel is mounted 90 Deg from that position. I've never had a problem with my gel cells, I just keep them unpluged when I store them for winter and make sure they have a good charge. I have a float charger for 12V batteries and everytime the voltage level drops, it will charge it. I will try the velcro idea tho. Thanks guys
Old 09-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
yea, i remember the foam board stuff you put in. It worked well for the NTC3 because of the way the wheel mounted but with the MTX4, the wheel is mounted 90 Deg from that position. I've never had a problem with my gel cells, I just keep them unpluged when I store them for winter and make sure they have a good charge. I have a float charger for 12V batteries and everytime the voltage level drops, it will charge it. I will try the velcro idea tho. Thanks guys
No....I don't have that setting for NTC3 for a long time, both of my boxes are setup for 1/10th Serpent 235mm Serpent and 1/8th 950R....just like your mugen
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote