'Click' sound... what had i broken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Click' sound... what had i broken?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Default 'Click' sound... what had i broken?

Just curious, is the mechanisium inside the clutch shoe/gear/tranny spur fragile and easy to break? I was stripping my car down for a cleanup and unpon installing the engine (with the gear/clutch attached) into the chassis i use a piece of paper in-between the gear & tranny spur for a good mesh before i tighten the engine chasis screw. finally when i remove the paper i had a bit of resistence before i pull the paper out i hear a 'click' sound as if something is broken... i immed unscrew and remount after that to make sure the resistence of pulling out the paper is not so tight.

what is causing the 'click' sound? could i had broken some internal parts by pulling the paper out when it is wedge tight between the spur? I inspect the car visually and roll it on the ground and everything is fine. but i haven't got the time to fire it up due to bad weather.

another thing which i did not pay attention to before is that when i try to use a hex wench to adjust the 2nd speed transmission time on the gear spur through the tiny hole, i had to align the external gear spur's hole to the clutch shoe's hole so that my hex wench can enter slot in to turn the screw in the clutch shoe. is that normal? aren't the clutch shoe suppose to move in union with the gear spur at all time?

I'm using a kyosho car... are the method of tranny speed adjustment the same on all brands?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

The click you heard was probably nothing , it probably came from elsewhere on the drivetrain as you move the spur , but maybe the mesh might be too tight.

As for adjusting the 2-speed , the shoe would not move with the spur all the item , that would defeat the purpose of a clutch. So you will have to line them up each time you want to adjust it.

Adjustment is more or less the same between all brands , some use two shoe spring type clutches and others the cheaper "trigger variety". On the engine side there is the more complex centrifugal or centax clutch. Always refer to your instructions for setting information.