R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-01-2003, 07:27 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by performula
I'd say the GT-4, it seems more "race car" oriented.

I like sticking to roots, belts are the way to go.
I agree. The Yokomo would be the best choice. It is easier maintained than a HPI and a lot cheaper to set up nice. With the HPI most of the settings have to be changed by buying optional parts. With the Yokomo everything on the car is adjustable via ball joints on the wishbones.

Also, it is a great handling car straight from the box and if you do decide to get into competitive racing you wont have to buy another car to do so.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:51 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to NItRO PuPS

Acutally I think the ntc3 is much cheaper to get replacement parts.. but I'm not gonna argue which car is better handling out of the box between the gt4 and the ntc3, its baiscly how the track is and if you can set it up correctly.
NItRO PuPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:47 PM   #18
Tech Chat Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by NItRO PuPS
well buying a rtr is basicly buying a used car but its prebuilt from the factory.
I don't think so man. On a rtr car, everything is new and hasn't seen the light of day, much less it being run.

Also, i think if your going to get a kit, get an engine without a pullstarter and invest in a starterbox. The faster engines do not come with a pull starter. Also rear exaust engines do not come with pull starters.

BTW, i have a nrs4 2. It is a toy, not a race car IMO. It flys in a strait line, but can't turn to save its life.

Last edited by TheRagunCajun; 02-04-2003 at 09:17 PM.
TheRagunCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:50 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Yea I mean that, I'm saying the used car and the rtr is a prebuilt kit just that it was prebuilt at a factory with little dwarfs and elvfs build it for you.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:44 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only disadvantage to me, on buying a RTR, would be if the builder that wrenches the car, doesn't use a snug method, but overtightens screws.

I have never bought an RTR, but when I get my tax return, the GT4 has my eye.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:09 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

if you already have a radio system why would you even consider buying a rtr

why buy 2 radios
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:12 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

heres answer to a question i did in RCCA's zone..in the rs4 3 (ss) thread(forum)....in case you don't want to read it,I'll get to teh point...get the tc3 nitro...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Skateboarder
I have a question, Do you think it would be worth it for me to sell my SS and buy a Ntc3? I got my SS a while ago but only put 3 tanks of nitro through it because my photography was taking up all of my time(and money). I have a T-maxx and a factory team gt (plus 4 other electrics) and I bought my SS just to have fun with in parking lots and to bring to car shows when I go there to shoot.
The only other nitro tc that I will be bashing with is a ntc3 that has a lot of hop ups so even if I got a ntc3 Id get beat anyway.
I know the quality of AE products because Ive been bashing my ft gt for about two years now with out any problems. So do you think that I should just stick with the hpi considering that I wont be doing any major racing?

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK..ready...and this goes for all you guys that think I'm a wack job for stating true opinions.....and remember..I HAVE an SS..teh pictures are a few threads back.....I spend all my mid life crisis time readin,tuning,learning about rc cars...I'm no genius,and I'm no pro driver...BUT...I did put my super nitro into 4th place in teh A main(out of over 50 entrants) in teh NY HPI challenge..and my SS into 9th in the a main in nitro mod..and my racer2 won the B main in nitro mod..and that class had 65 racers in it....and I'm telling you this so you know I put the effort forth to race cars...I run Rally at Barnstormers in NY(5th on teh last point series),and am usually in the a main(3rd last week)....

I also run EVERY tues in Nanuet NY....so I like to race,but I also play.........THAT being said...I have the new issue of RC car in front of me.....and they have an article titled"second look' at the HPI SS.....Keep in mind they loaded the car with options(WAY more money than a tc3 nitro STOCK).....and ran and tested the car with every factory tip they could get from HPI.....

herers what they finished up with at teh end.......

"The Type SS is one of those cars that suffers from an identity crisis.HPI doesn't market it as a racer,but based upon feedback from our readers,theres some confusion as to where the SS slots. For example,we get many letters in which we are asked "which should I get,a TYPE ss or serpent 705?".....this is,of course,jsut an example,but there are people who consider teh type SS to be in the high end racing catergory.......IT ISN"T....WHY?.....the drivetrain is fron an off road truck,and in comparison with that of say,teh NITRO TC3,it comes across as less precise and not as efficiant......

we think that HPI thrust the type SS onto teh market to quell unrest from from those critical of the RTR 3 and its HO HUM performance...we really like this as a high performance fun car..if you build it well,install good radio gear, AND find the right set up,you can be succesful at your club track...ABOVE THAT LEVEL OF COMPETITION,YOU'LL BE AT A DISADVANTAGE"..but again,a s a parking lot racer,the SS has everything....a truly good engine,a two speed,solid design,a durability.

Just don't confuse it with the higher priced thoroughbreds.....

(end of article)...................
__________________________________________________ ___--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres my whole point in a nutshell....WHY NOT BUY THE DAMM TC3 and run that in a parking lot?.....they just loaded a SS and TOLD YOU the car can't be compared to any of the pro cars....

in a parking lot its fun..blast up and down teh lot,etc.....But blow teh lot off,set up a track,and you'll see the limitations quick..esp if a NON hpi car shows up..and that guy can half way tune and drive....

so skateboarder,heres my answer..if you want a low maintenance car..and all you're gonna do is play and bash the SS is fun.....

but I have to admit..I take the 2 cars(the RB powred SS and tHE RB TC3 nitro) out for some parking lot practice by myself,set up pylons and frisbees..and every time I do it I'm stunned by how much better the tc3 runs....

the car turns in a perfect arc......it SMOKES the SS in take off and top speed,and just glides through corners......and every time time I drive the SS keep thinking what the heck is HPI thinking?....

Last edited by fastharry™; 02-03-2003 at 12:14 PM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:28 PM   #23
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: nitro touring car

Quote:
Originally posted by rcracer123
What in your opinions is the best nitro touring car for around 300 that is race legal and can go from the box to the track with the most success?

These are my guesses:

ntc3
rs4 3
gt-4 (not sure if its legal)
rs4 3 type ss
I went to Revelation, CA yesterday and have seen a guy running NTC3 RTR. Gotta tell you that the car runs pretty ok, even with only single-speed on it. The handling of the car is no doubt one of the best. Later, an NTC3 RTR owner can go from putting the 2-speed on it, a faster engine, and many other hopups widely available.

It's just my humble opinion. I first picked the HPI RS4 RTR3, and later got the Mugen Seiki MTX-2. It would have been nice to stay with only one car, but oh... well.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:07 PM   #24
Tech Addict

It's okay to get a hpi since its great for the beginners but it dose start to suck money out of your wallet after a while, I used to have a nrs4 and spent maybe 500+ on it till just stay with some of the cars on the track but still had problems where the car coulden't handle the mt12 power, but them I finnally sold it for $300 luckly *just chassis* and I got myself a ntc3, I have not added one single hopup, i've only replaced the bumper to a rpm bumper and replaced one little ball cup, other than that this car is bone stock.

Also another car to suggest is the kyosho voner, some people I know say this car is a tank compared to the ntc3 where i've heard people breaking the bulkheads and stuff and even I think the car seems fragile and very easy to strip the screw holes which sucks.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:40 PM   #25
Tech Chat Moderator

Yeah, the nrs4 is good. IMO, go for the ntc3. Im now at the point where i want to tune my hpi car(nrs4-2) to actually turn. Well, i cant adjust it how i want so thats a no.

nitro pups also mentioned the hpi car not being able to hanble the power. Mine sure cant the power with my sts mt12....or my old rb c12 turbo. But my problem is set up and tires, not to mention the piss poor gear ratios i have to use.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:44 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Well it does in straight lines, but it sucks on track when I was racing on a good day, cept it broke 2 front dogbones, broke off a rear HARDEN outdrive. Other than that it was fine.