R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme
Default how to fix a dented pipe

guys, may i know how do u fix your dented pipe? coz last time my frenz help me to put in freezer with water in it, but it turn out to be very expanded, thus very big. also how do u seal the hole? how long do u need to put in freezer? how much water to put inside to prevent it from expanding too much. thanks
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

MY FIRST PIPE IN THE FREEZER SPLIT WIDE OPEN. FILL IT HALF WAY FREEZE IT THEN FILL IT THE REST OF THE WAY AND FREEZE IT.YOU MAY HAVE TO DO THIS A COUPLE OF TIMES TO GET THE DENT OUT.IT ONLY WORKS ON SMALL TO MEDIUM DENTS,THE LONGER YOU LEAVE IT IN THE FREEZER THE MORE THE ICE EXPANDS,TO A POINT.HOPE THIS HELPS.
Team Trinity
[url]www.teamtrinity.com[/url]
Gary Figueroa
GFIGUEROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

ok, now my pipe is dented at one side (facing the outside, at the tip), so if i were to fill it with water by half, would it be useful? would it expand at the dented area? and if we didn't fill it all with water, would it expand nicely? btw, wat did u use to cover and tighten the 3 holes with? coz i can't figure out wat to use.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if it's the stingers dented or the area around it is I usually heat it up a little and do a long nose plyer on it, works everytime.

I dented my fuel tank of my superbike once and they simply plug the holes and pressurised it and out come the dent.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

well, for my case, the stinger is fine, its just that i believe some cars bang directly into my pipe, thereby causing the dent, pretty serious. so guys, pls let me know how did u cover up the hole to prevent water from leaking out. thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

MAYBE this is just a idea i have never tried this, Use Hot glue and a wooden tooth pick or somthing and glue the stick to the dent wait till its cold. And try pulling on the stick to undent the area.
Shata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:46 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kyosho3PKRacer Send a message via MSN to Kyosho3PKRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquexme
well, for my case, the stinger is fine, its just that i believe some cars bang directly into my pipe, thereby causing the dent, pretty serious. so guys, pls let me know how did u cover up the hole to prevent water from leaking out. thanks

I put a cork in the biggest hole and taped that down so it wouldn't come out, then put tape tightly over the stinger hole, maybe a few layers. Then either fuel tubing and a screw for the pressure nipple or just tape on that aswell.

But as your freezing it make sure to keep checking to make sure the frozen water doesn't just get pushed out the pressure nipple and stinger holes. Which is why you want the tape tight over it.

Don't freeze too long aswell or it will expand and balloon the whole pipe and you will end up losing performance most likely. So maybe some clamps around the pipe or just keep watching it and take it out as soon as dent has come out.
Kyosho3PKRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Fsturbo15

Use paper towel folded up to cover the stinger and rear hole and then use fuel line tied in a knot for the pressure line hole.

Works for me and I don't get leaks.
Fsturbo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:04 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Repair a dented pipe

The freeze method does work, but if you have a pipe that is really bad, and you want to spend some time on it, this works also.
A friend of mine had a couple of pipes that were just laying around because they were caved in so bad, so I thought I would try a couple of different ways on reapiring them.
A couple of the pipes were the 9886 on-road pipes which are the same one I use.
Anyway, the were dented real bad next to the stingers.
I removed the stingers from the pipes, and used a heat gun and a right angle pick to pull the dent out. Two of the pipes were dented more than 1/2 of the way in. After pulling out the dent, I replaced the stinger, with JB weld, and also made a gusset for the stinger to prevent caving it in again. After the JB weld cured, I used a Dremmel and shaped the gusset. I then changed the sanding disc on the Dremmel to the small wire wheel disc and roughed up the aluminum. I wiped down the complete pipe with denatured alcohol, and then painted the pipe with engine high temp paint.
Next day tried out the pipe, and it works great. Did not lose any power what so ever. Total time, about 1 1/2 hours. Would make great projects on rainy days if you have a couple of damaged pipes, and want to kill some time. I am still using one of the same pipes that were repaired, and that was over 6 months ago.
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK TO PLUG THE PRESSURE NIPPLE JUST USE FUEL TUBING .THE END OF THE PIPE WHERE THE MANIFOLD CONNECTS DON,T NEED TO PLUG JUST STAND PIPE ON IT'S END WHILE IN FREEZER. THE STINGER JUST USE FUEL TUBING,JUST USE LONG PIECE, LONGER THAN PIPE.AS LONG IT'S ABOVE THE WATER LEVEL IT WON'T LEAK.FUEL TUBING GOES INSIDE OF STINGER,THIS ONLY WORKS ON 1/10 SCALE PIPES,1/8 SCALE NEED SOMTHING BIGGER.
AND............

SORRY MY HUSBAND IS VERY BUSY RIGHT NOW I WILL BE DOING HIM IN JUST ONE MOMENT
Team Trinity
[url]www.teamtrinity.com[/url]
Gary Figueroa
GFIGUEROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

ok guys, thanks for all the info, i will try out real soon. but i heard someone saying that milk is better? not sure. is it advisable to totally filled it up or partially? thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I just drank a bottle of wine, then cut up the cork to fit in all the holes of my dented pipe stick it in a zip loc stand it up so the bigger hole is up and froze it. I have'nt had the problem of over freezing cause the water expands and pushes the top cork out and WALLA the dent is gone.
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

hmm, i think its time i DIY mine. i also reckon that not covering up the manifold hole is better, since there are some allowance for the expansion to push, rather than sealed it up as it will expand all ways very big.