R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-31-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to deanspoors
Default Some q's on fuel: blue thunder, sidewinder

give me some info please about;

blue thunder 30% ive heard this stains the engine etc is this true?

sidewinder 30% my mate blew up an engine with this is it okay to use?

any info is greatly appreciated!!! thnx
deanspoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:56 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've had nothing but good luck with the Blue Thunder 20%. No stains or anything like that.

30% is a little too powerful for my blood!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:01 PM   #3
Tech Master

Deanspoors,

The best fuel on the UK market by a huge amount would have to be the Elite Models Pink Power. Just look at the results to this years foam championships in all categories (200mm, 235mm and 1:8th scale). The Top positions in all three class all run the stuff.

You can get it from Elite Models in Mansfield. They are also the main Serpent UK distributor and Walt Bailey (Mr Serpent UK) is probably the best engine tuner in England.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

i am currently using a gallon of bluethunder and it leaves engine parts black or bluegreen and car is filthy also

i have been running on the rich side though

it is a fine performer but leaves a mess

im pretty sure im giong to switch fuel when the gallon is empty

as far as blowing up an engine i dont think it would be a problem considering the mess is caused by the oil

ive heard sidewinder and bluethunder are made by same people

i dont think its the sidewinder fuels fault your buddies engine blew
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:51 PM   #5
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Both Blue Thunder and Sidewinder are low castor oil fuels. I have quit using BT a long time ago. Now I use Sidewinder. If you're buddy blew up his engine then he doesn't know how to tune it. What I like about Sidewinder is my engines run more reliable and are easier to tune. It makes good power but you need to keep it on the rich side. I've already had some carbon deposits on the top of the piston when running under race conditions.

If you want a little more protection, Wildcat and O'Donnell has lots of lube and are good choices.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 05:36 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisO Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisO

i use custom blended fuel with Novarossi 1T3 oil in it, alot of ppl at my track use it and strongly recomend it, it leaves the inside of the engine shiny and smooth
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:10 PM   #7
Tech Master

We used to make our own mixture but these days the Nitro is just too hard to get. Due to the cost we have to buy it in large quantities and when the customs guys find out what it is they automatically think it is being used to make bombs
Now we just buy either Modeltechnics 25% or Pink Power 16% or 25%.

As for O'Donnell and BK etc. We dont get them over here.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:18 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Now we just buy either Modeltechnics 25% or Pink Power 16% or 25%.
What oils you used for custom blend? I custom blend my own fuel and use Klotz Techniplate and Bënol on different percentages.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:50 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Default Some q's on fuel: blue thunder, sidewinder

NO-body I know who is serious about racing uses Blue Thunder fuel.
IMHO; The only thing Blue Thunder is good for is Weed Killer. Even TRAXXAS fuel runs better.

Last edited by popsracer; 02-02-2003 at 07:26 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:01 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

I wouldn't run BT on a bet....(been there,done that)..

any of the wildcat car fuels are great.....in fact,they use benol....and are based on the Model techniques formula....

Trintity monster HP(12% oil content)...HPI's power fuel(14% oil content)....quickfire elimanator(14% also)...also trintity's platinum blend(8%).....

the only fuels I'v used(after running BT,red alert,Odonnell,and a few other's) in my 30 car nitro collection...

NO engine failures in 4 years(fronm the RB 21's in my Serpents and kyosho buggies to all my tourers to my trucks etc)...

and get this....I tune by performance,NOT temps.....the way you're supposed to...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:47 PM   #11
Tech Master

A real racer. Temp guns are a waste of money. Never had one in my life. In fact the only time one was in my engine head was about 12yrs ago when the guys were trying to sell me one.

We mixed 12% Benol, with 18% Nitro for our own blend. We found it was every bit as good as most 25% nitro fuels on the market.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:38 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
A real racer. Temp guns are a waste of money. Never had one in my life. In fact the only time one was in my engine head was about 12yrs ago when the guys were trying to sell me one.

We mixed 12% Benol, with 18% Nitro for our own blend. We found it was every bit as good as most 25% nitro fuels on the market.
lol i use the temp gun to check track temp for tire compound choice
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:20 PM   #13
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I can't speak to the experiences that others have had with Blue Thunder, but mine have been all good. At least with their 20%.

As for no one serious about racing using it, take a look at the racing sheets from the big races. Theirs always someone their running Blue Thunder. It may only be one guy, but theres usually someone up there. And if its happening at almost every large race, in one class or another, it can't be the garbage that some people claim.

Need proof, take a look at the A-main results of the 235mm class of the ROAR Sedan fuel Nationals...the Kyosho Nitro Challenge in the 1/10-scale gas truck class...Its right up there with the Sidewinder, O'Donnel, Trinity and BK(what the hell does BK stand for anyway )

Anyway...

I'm not saying its any better than the other racing fuels, but to say that the even the Traxxas stuff is better is exaggerating a little.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:45 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Default Re: Some q's on fuel: blue thunder, sidewinder

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
NO-body I know who is serious about racing uses Blue Thunder fuel.
IMHO; The only thing Blue Thunder is good for is Weed Killer. Even TRAXXAS fuel runs better.
I was trying for a little humor.

Seriously, I have tried Blue Thunder and was very dissapointed in it. Ran several tank fulls and gave the rest of the gallon away for free (it was that bad). O-Donnell seems to run hotter for me. I recently tried a quart of Sidewinder and my cars would barely idle any more. Traxxas fuel runs OK, and has plenty of oil for hotter running engines.
My favorite fuel for the last several years has been Trinity Monster HP, power blend in 20 and 30%. Runs cool, excellent power, no evil deposits and not too messy.

For those of you who are using BT (Darkseid). Try 1 quart of another brand (any) and I'm sure you will never go back. AND pick up a quart of 30%, you'll love the power.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:21 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mugen, Byron and BK. My Sponsored racers use these three and usually Byron, or Mugen unless we need the little extra power of BK. Typical life expectancy we have seen on Byron is ten gallons. Yes ten. We run 30% in the 12's and 40% in the 21's always. When my sponsored guys started telling me this I about fell over, and we never loose rod bushings ever. These guys race better than 40 weekends ( I wish I had that much time to race) a year and I may see their engines twice for maintenance.

Save the BT for the TMaxx guys.

Last edited by Motorman; 02-02-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote