R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-31-2003, 09:45 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default personal transponders

i want to know what you guys think about them

i plan to get them for both my cars this year

but a friend told me that his mounted near his reciever had caused him to glitch anyone else have a similiar problem

he had changed 2 things to correct the problem and was unsure whether it was the transponder or the other thing that caused his problem
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:58 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi jason102276,

Personal Transponders are convenient to have especially if the guy using it before you have a bad habit of not returning it after his heat. You may find yourself scavenging for it while the others are already warming up for the heat.

About the glitch, the same thing happened to me the first time I installed one. What you wouldn't want to do is to install it directly onto the Carbon Fiber Upper deck (if you're using one). But if there is no other better place for you to put it, just try to make sure you have a thicker padding/insulation in between the transponder and the Carbon Fiber Upper Deck. You may use a thick double sided tape or a thick velcro patch. The idea is to separate it as much as possible from vibration and/or things that allows conduction of energy (ie. Carbon Fiber)

I personally have mine on my front bumper and it is glitch free. The only problem with this is that the transponder is at risk of damage when you hit you're car hard .

Hope this helps.

RON
Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

i was thinking of mounting it to the reciever mount on my mtx-3 i figured i could tie the wires up easy and the mount is plastic but i worry about radio glitches
Old 01-31-2003, 03:21 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

this is where i run my transponder and have no problems
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transponder.jpg (87.9 KB, 140 views)
chookgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:23 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

top view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car with transponder.jpg (94.7 KB, 124 views)
chookgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisO Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisO

iv seen them mounted on the front bumper, you gotta cut a place for it in the foam part, i also have one on my ntc3...havnt been able to use it yet coz the clubs decoder had to be up dated for the new PT's
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:29 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisO Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisO

haha chookgb u just beat me
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:27 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Jason,

All my on-road cars have a PT. They're mounted basically where chookgb has his, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with glitching.
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:55 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I mount mine in the bumper too, but a few guys I know have had no problems with them on the MTX-3 mount
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mtx3 001.jpg (74.0 KB, 123 views)
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:45 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool P.T. Mount

I dont have a problem with mine on top graphite deck.

However, mine is on a Impulse PRO!!
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:57 PM   #11
Tech Adept

man.....mtx-3's are absolutely the coolest lookin car of all 1/10th all you see is that big piece of carbon, that shiny front oneway, and then you start to look for the steering servo..................................alas, you cannot find it, cause its so damn LOW
Nytrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:09 PM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Nytrochaos
man.....mtx-3's are absolutely the coolest lookin car of all 1/10th all you see is that big piece of carbon, that shiny front oneway, and then you start to look for the steering servo..................................alas, you cannot find it, cause its so damn LOW
you just burst somebody's bubble !
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 01:13 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Personally, I've installed mine transponder on the mugen holder and haven't had any problems, only reliable lap counting, but last day I run the car, a friend 'won' me because their transponder passed over the antenna slightly before than mine

Plan to put on the foam bumper or installing an 'extension brace' of 1Ft in front of the car next time.

Hey! I got another use for the 'extension brace'.... T-boning and impalling device.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:15 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

i just dont want to mount it up front in the bumper because the wire stretches all the way across the chassis the worst part is when it goes over shock tower i see someone put fuel tubing over but otherwise could cut wires

i could use the mount supplied but i got my wires really neat and would have to redo them to move the switch

sparsky you do confirm however that mounting it close to the reciever will cause glitching

i have a friend who made a really cool mount in his mtx-2 where he cut out the graphite top deck and mounted it underneath showing through as far as i know he didnt glitch but i dont think the mtx-3 has the same amount of room for this type of install

i might mount it over the steering servo with servo tape or possibly over layshaft but that is right in front of fuel tank so maybe not such a good idea
Old 02-04-2003, 07:12 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

put a pice of elec tape on chassi and bolt to chassi next to the swich there is a button head screw there put servo tape betwen transponder and elec tape for vibration there is your fix
ilaybrk is offline   Reply With Quote