R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   V one RRR gears (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/127064-v-one-rrr-gears.html)

RRR WC 08-26-2006 03:37 PM

V one RRR gears

Can anyone please fill me in on how I can match the first and second gears without striping one of them?? Is there a formula??

Thanks Ned

impalabob64 08-26-2006 03:50 PM

match gearing

Here you go man ,16/61,21/56, 16/60,22/55, 17/61,23/56, 17/60,23/55, 15/61,20/56 ,16/59,22/56 hope the helps.

J.Wright 08-26-2006 03:52 PM

Try threading a piece of paper between the first gear pinion and spur to get a good mesh. If you are having trouble stripping, it aint just you. The new gears I just got are a different color maybe the are working with a new plastic compound.

Jim

jag 08-26-2006 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RRR WC
Can anyone please fill me in on how I can match the first and second gears without striping one of them?? Is there a formula??

Thanks Ned

I use the paper method (previously mentioned) and have only stripped a gear once and that was because of a run-away... not a gear problem.

nigelnuggets 08-26-2006 09:00 PM

you know what, tell you the truth, i ran every combo without stripping at all.

dont be afraid to run the mesh CLOSE. like a little tight even. i never stripped a gear when i ran that car. my .02

drfritz 08-26-2006 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by RRR WC

Thanks Ned

sounds like you have a flex problem or loose motor mounts, only time I ever stripped a gear was because I did not get the motor tight in the car. How old are your pinions, have they become sharp and worn out, do you have the side brace installed?

rmdhawaii 08-27-2006 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
you know what, tell you the truth, i ran every combo without stripping at all.

dont be afraid to run the mesh CLOSE. like a little tight even. i never stripped a gear when i ran that car. my .02

Several top racers have also told me that there is no problem with matching gears.

The most likely cause of gears stripping on a RRR is as follows:

1. The engine moves after the gear mesh is adjusted. A crash or sudden jolt is often the culprit. It's also possible that the screws were not properly tightend down.

2. The gear mesh was not adjusted properly. The "strip of paper" method as shown in the manual is the best way to adjust the gears on a RRR. Don't eyeball it!

3. The gear mesh was not readjusted between races. Smart racers always do this. Never assume that a good run means the gears are still properly aligned.

4. The engine mount was fastened to the chassis without the engine. Mount the engine to the engine mount and tighten down the top screws before aligning the gear mesh and tightening down the engine mount bottom screws. Then undo the top screws and readjust the gear mesh again. Make sure that the engine, engine mount and gear mesh are nice and perpendicular when done. BTW.. Get the one piece engine mount if you don't have it.

5. The side stiffner was not tightened down, while the car was on a setup board prior to adjusting the gear mesh. If the chassis flexes while tightening the side stiffner, the gear mesh may no longer be properly aligned.

6. The pinion gears are worn out. Use the steel ones. They last longer.

7. The 2-speed shaft might be bent. If you're doing everything correctly and it still strips, this may be the cause. Try changing the shaft and see if the problem goes away. Thanks Robert!

Also, use the new RRR Evo spur gears, which is made of a stronger material - especially if you choose to use the steel pinions.

Hope this helps! :)

brc358 08-27-2006 04:09 AM

RRR Gears

J Wright,
Hey bud, e-mail me when you can. thanks brc