R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default 3.3 4TEC?

Anybody own one? I have a 2.5 and am going to upgrade it to a 3.3. I was wondering if any of you owned one of the new 3.3s.........
berkshiresrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshiresrcguy
Anybody own one? I have a 2.5 and am going to upgrade it to a 3.3. I was wondering if any of you owned one of the new 3.3s.........
I think very few people here run that car... This forum is more for the serious on-road racer... You might be better off posing that question over on the Traxxas forum page... Good luck... Hey, it never hurts to ask

http://monster.traxxas.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

That's what I was figuring, the 2.5 was too hard to control for racing too.
berkshiresrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Default Too fast

I just traded my Savage 25 (with OS 30 engine) for a 4Tec 3.3, and its is just too fast on a tight track. The car is a lot of fun to drive, but I spend most of my time trying to control the rollovers. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to slow the car down. My Advice would be to stick with your 2.5, I'm sure that is more controlable.
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

I was going to get the new 3.3 because of the 70+mph speed but I read that they are very hard to control in the forums. My hobby shop told me that the 4-tec is a very clustered chassis layout and you have to take half of the car apart to do any repairs or maintenance. Too much time!

I decided to stick with my HPI RS4 3 and got a new O.S. .18 CVR-X engine for it. I like it so far but I am still breaking the engine in.

Important thing is to know what to expect from the car and do research. And no matter what you get, have fun with it!!!!!!!!

I think that hook up RS4 is probably a wiser choice
Speedbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbang
I was going to get the new 3.3 because of the 70+mph speed but I read that they are very hard to control in the forums. My hobby shop told me that the 4-tec is a very clustered chassis layout and you have to take half of the car apart to do any repairs or maintenance. Too much time!

I decided to stick with my HPI RS4 3 and got a new O.S. .18 CVR-X engine for it. I like it so far but I am still breaking the engine in.

Important thing is to know what to expect from the car and do research. And no matter what you get, have fun with it!!!!!!!!

I think that hook up RS4 is probably a wiser choice
A car with that much speed and power needs a better radio and steering servo... Traxxas gets in the game with a very good RTR for the first timers and those that want to bash and just go fast... With a higher end radio and steering servo, the car will be much easier to control and setup... Get the car first and when you're able to upgrade the radio and steering servo, you'll be able to bash and do some real track time.. If not, then enjoy what you got. .02

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:18 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Default Radios

I have to agree. The car is uncontrollable with the stock radio, and I was ready to ebay the thing. Before I did, I decided to put a Spectrum DX3 on it, and wow. After some tuning on the radio, it is very easy to control, and aside from the weight penalty and the high center of gravity, ic an catch and pass just bout anything. It still has some oversteer problems, but I hope that'll get solved with the 0 degree read arms I ordered to remove the 1.5 degrees of tow in on the rear.

this is a very fun little car, that turns heads every time I go out to the track. I just started hearing about the 3.3 engines blowing in the revos, but I've yet to have that problem with this one. Hopefully it'll just stay happy and keep running as well as it is now.
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote