R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Body painting Impaired!

The last few bodies I have painted have been a joke. I am a one or two color guy, but my biggest problem is the paint chipping off!

I always wash my bodies first and spray light kotes, but a decent wall tap and the paint falls off. I have been using Tamiya spray cans.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Jason Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Tech Adept

I usually wash the body with soap and water and blow dry with compressed air or a dryer.
I use faskolor paints either out of the can or with an airbrush. Usually two or three coats is all I use. I then use two coats of a "backing" color, white or silver. The paint should not chip off if you painted it on the inside of the body. The only time paint comes off is when it gets rubbed (by a wheel or plastic part) or if hot fuel hits it.

Be sure to use paints that are specifically designed for lexan. The model paints for plastic cars is not appropriate.

Doug
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks Flack, but those are all processes I usually follow and I have still been having this problem. Maybe it's the tamiya paint
Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default Paint

Make sure you are using the right paint. Tamiya has two or three paints in spray can form. You have to make sure that its the one for polycarbonate/lexan. Also, you really need to do light coats. The first coat should be thin, and almost look as if you have not even painted anything yet. I used to have the same problem with paint chipping off, and it comes from making the coats too thick...Even if it looks good and there are no drips, if its too thick, as soon as something touches it, or the body flexes...chip chip and more chip. Now I take my time and just paint using very thin coats. When guys say 2 or 3 coats, it usually means 5 to 6 very thin ones.
Lil Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Hey Jason,

Definitely don't spray the paint on too thick. One thing that helps a lot is to use a Scotchbrite pad and scuff the inside of the body and the paint will stick better.

See ya at the races.
Scott
Scott Kimbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Painting sucks! I hate painting bodies more than anything else in the world.

Jason
Tzadkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Thanks a lot guys, I have turned the painting duties over to my buddy who is a tatoo artist, so he is a lot more excited to paint than I have ever been. I will give him all these good tips.

Cya sunday Scott.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Smith
The last few bodies I have painted have been a joke. I am a one or two color guy, but my biggest problem is the paint chipping off!

I always wash my bodies first and spray light kotes, but a decent wall tap and the paint falls off. I have been using Tamiya spray cans.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Guys I am also a 1 or 2 color spray can painter, but I think your problem is coming from not scratching the body with a scouring pad after you apply the window masks. The paint will chip for any painter if the lexan is not lightly scuffed up before painting.

Tom
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:48 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Qlone

Hmm... so far I haven't sanded or whatevered bodies before painting them and I have never had any paint chipping off problems. I do clean the body with hot water and a bit of hand soap before painting though, and make sure to use the right kind of paint (tamiya for lexan).

Once I made the mistake of getting the wrong paint and indeed it does not stay on the body very long...
Qlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker
The paint will chip for any painter if the lexan is not lightly scuffed up before painting.

Tom
I disagree ! I am a painter and Never scuff the bodies, and my paint has never peeled out or flaked off. (faskolor) I do use Bob Divleys liquid mask, and that cleans the body before painting it.
Click on the link in my signature for paint work and take a look.
Paul