Wiki Posts
Search

Sx 12 Re Temp

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 03:26 AM
MDS
Tech Initiate

Default Sx 12 Re Temp

Hi what temp should the Nova Mega SX 12 RE Turbo be running at, i have heard that they need to be atleast 240 deg to wake the motor up. is this true?
Old 02-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

What has temp got to do with it. I have never used a Temp Gun in 16 yrs racing professionally. I couldn't care less what temp my engine runs at. You will know by listening to it whether it is running sweet or not.

And as far as I know this is the preferred method of Motorman (Dennis Richey) who does all the great engine modifying.

But between 220 and 240 will work.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default NO!

the answer is NO! MDS so i suppose a little leaning of your engine wont make it whip mine ... if you want to beat mine try 40-50% nitro ha ha ha
Old 02-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Nitro Tech

Lightbulb

Yes,a veteran of nitro engine isn't need temp gun.Because they can know the negine's condition by other way like Listen,Smell,Touch,Feel....etc.I used my finger instead of temp gun because I'm too lazy to take it out.When I feel pain,it's over-heat.haha....
But if you don't have a lot of experiences,temp gun is a good friend of you.Also,220-240F is good.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:13 AM
Tech Chat Moderator

Touch, feel, smell?? Oh come on now. And a properly tuned engine wll feel hot to the touch. I use a drop of water myself. Also i tune by how it runs.....which is important. I also like to see smoke but alot of smoke doesnt mean your engine is running rich. BTW RB's and some toehrs run as high as 280F.

BTW, what's the proper way to do the drop of water test. I put a drop near the plug and see what's what. At my current seting, it just stays there I think it's near the plug and not the top of the head cuz my water never boils on the top of the head.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

I have the same engine. When breaking in the engine run temps around 220F max....after 8 to 10 tanks you can go higher up to 260F . Racing temps go up to 250 to 260F......just watch for that blue trail of smoke......no smoke...very BAD.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:26 PM
JUN
Tech Adept

Last edited by JUN; 10-20-2003 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

A temp gun is pretty good when you've got an engine that seems to have a bad low end setting. If at idle your temp stays around the same or increases, your mixture on the low end is lean. If it slowly drops, then it is fine.

I don't own one, but when the weather changes drastically or when I change my plug from a really old one (covered with crud because I'm too lazy to change it) then I might borrow one from a friend. Temp guns don't help to fine tune the main neddle settings much, and I bench tune well enough in the pits to only require about 1/16 to 1/32 turn out on the track, so I don't have a good enough reason to spend 100 dollars on one.

A temp gun is also good for 20 minute or longer races because we generally run five minute races, so just to be careful I might check the engine with a temp gun.