R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to SinisterEvo
Default Noob... What Tuned Pipe etc. RS4 Evo3

Hey guys,
don't hate on me for being a newbie i'm sorry for these questions. I tried searching, but going through the countless threads i've gathered an idea of mods. Now i'm not sure about fitment or anything since most of the hobby sites don't show for what car etc. I don't know much about my car yet and am just finishing the break in.

I was looking at RD Logics Turbo II Pipe
I don't know what filter to get
I don't know what suspension mods to get

I really have no clue what i'm doing but want to hop up my car, as i'm a decent driver and will be racing this car. I was into r/c cars about 2 years ago but was in a money bind and sold of my first rtr3.

Help me out with mods and where to buy if at all possible! I appreciate all your opinions, but an overall setup would be great.

Thanks!
Jeff
SinisterEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

you want to get carbon/graphite shock towers and the sway bar kit. you could also get new springs.
kpm31390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to apollo

for a pipe i would get this
http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/cate...35S&type=store
i have one and i like it, it is a high end pipe for higher revving engines, the only thing i did not like was how small the opening in the header was, it should be port matched for best power

as for a filter, if you are using a 10mm carb i would suggest this
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCCE1&P=ML
i use to have one and i liked it alot, it is also good to get a fuel filter

and as for graphite upgrades, i would get

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVB89&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHK7&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHK8&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEKJ8&P=7
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Well, i'm about to order everything apollo wrote out.

Should I look into doing the Stage-D conversion also, this would eliminate the need of some of the parts you posted though.

Cans omebody point me to where I can order a set of foam tires pre-glued to some white rims?

Any more opinions on what to do would be greatly appreciate, again this is going to be used for racing and some recreational use in parking lots. Also if you have suggestions please add where I can purchase them.

Thanks so much!
Jeff
Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Tell me what you guys think of this:

Stage-D Drift Kit (comes with some pretty cool stuff)
RD Logics Tuned Pipe (w/o header)
HPI Graphite Front Shock Tower
HPI Graphite Rear Shock Tower
HPI Carbon Graphite Suspension Arms
HPI Hi-Perf Air Cleaner 10mm
DuraTrax Fuel Filter

Does that sound like a logical race set-up? Is the Stage-D conversion an illegal set-up for races?

Let me know guys!

Thanks Again,
Jeff
Old 08-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Tech Master

What you have listed is not a race setup. I'm assuming you are wanting to race at an organized parking lot race or at a permanent track. If you are, you really need to think about getting another car. If you stick with HPI, the R40 is a good solid platform for racing. If you just want to get your feet wet with racing, then spend your money on foam tires, shock oil and springs and go racing.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Correct, I want to do organized parking lot racing to get started out and see how I do. I was under the impression this was a decent intermediate car for racing, but guess I was wrong.

Here's a few questions:
Where can I get the best foam tires pre-glued (4) set?
Any particular brand shock oil? Please link me to purchase site.
What springs? Where do I get them, i'm not sure about the different types and what not. Please help me out sorry i'm quite new to this.

Also those carbon/graphite mods are not worth doing for racing? What is the point of them then?

I really don't want to cash out for another car to race until later. Can you also tell me why this car isn't for racing? I know it doesn't go 60+ mph but the track is smaller.

Is the Stage-D kit legal for racing or is there particular rules against that and what not. If somebody could give me the down low on most of this please help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just trying to learn the ropes and get a good racing set-up to start out and then get a new car a little down the road if this is truely a poor choice for parking lot racing. Opinions on a complete mod list for the car would be amazing.

Direct links to purchase sites would also be great.

I appreciate your help so far!

Thanks, Jeff
Old 08-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As I understand it the D Stage kit is for drifting, its not legal for racing, but it wont give you the best handling. I agree that you should get a different kit. But if you just want to get y our feet wet, just buy foams and and learn how to drive on a track, believe me, its harder than it looks at first. Once you get used to driving a confined track without hitting anything, then you can get a better kit and engine.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

I've been driving r/c cars for a while now, I am out of the crashing my car stage into every curb. I've had r/c cars before, i'm wondering what mods other than foamies will help this car for the track. I am new to all of the mods etc. and which things I should and shouldn't do.

I do want to do a motor saver filter, put a failsafe on, fuel filter for more of the cars benefit than racing.

for racing I wanted to add the foamies, some springs (no clue what is good), a tuned pipe and a few other suggestions.

Again if somebody could write me out a mod list and where to purchase is mainly what I need. Again I do know how to drive my car without bashing it into every corner. I really just need little things that are going to turn this into a race car (for the most part).

-Jeff
Old 08-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Update on parts I will be ordering.

HPI Foam Tires
HPI Graphite Upper Deck
HPI Graphite Front Shock Tower
HPI Graphite Rear Shock Tower
HPI Graphite Carbon Suspension Arms
HPI Performance 10mm Air Cleaner
DuraTrax Fuel Filter
DuraTrax Failsafe
RD Logics Turbo II Pipe

I also want some springs, but have no knowledge on what springs to get along with sizing etc.

How do these mods sound so far? I will most likely do a few at a time just so I don't overwhelm my car and myself to start. Just let me know what you guys think so far.

-Jeff
Old 08-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

bum bum bum bump, bump, bump, bump, bump bump, badada BUMP!