R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-28-2003, 12:04 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Talking I just won a HPI RS4 2 Nitro and wondering what would be my path of upgrades?

Hi, first I would like to say, great looking community you have here!

I am just looking for a step by step for upgrading the car to a "parking-lot" champ. I am not looking for anything incredibly exotic or that will be extremely competitive, but something that is fun to drive.

I won the car by playing the game at www.midnitechallenge.com

It is the HPI Nitro RS4 2 w/ Saleen Bodyshell.

I have a futaba controller already and servos that my dad isn't using by it is made for airplanes (I guess?) but he never got around to finishing the plane. I believe it is 3 or 4-channel. I figure it should e-bay it and get a gun like controller. Thanks for all your help!

~Poonkla
Poonkla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:39 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to sausage_link

id get a nice FM radio

something like a JR XS3 or XR3
sausage_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:40 AM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to sausage_link

then get a new pipe

maybe a paris 6 ring turbo pipe or a cvec
then a 2 speed
sausage_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:58 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Alright, I got ahold of the controller and it is a FP-4NBL AM 4 channel radio control with 3 servos. I guess I will sell it since I need an FM radio. It has never been used, so I should get around 100-120 I think. Those 2 radios are a little too expensive, but I would get one if it is worth it. What do yall think? I have also heard that CVDs are a good investment. What brand? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2003, 12:17 PM   #5
Tech Chat Moderator

Default good ole nrs4-2

Well if you want to see how a hoped up car looks, check out mine. Ill take some newer pics within the next week and 1/2. You dont need a fm radio at all. My nrs4 does great with the stock AM. I would like to buy a FM but seeing how I only bash, i have no need. MIP is the only company who makes CVD's. With that said i like mine. If you build it right then your fine. It will help smooth out your drivetrain a tad. They arent needed at al. stock dogbones will work great. They wont come out unless you have a major crash....and then most times it will still not come out.

As far as for hop ups. I put on just about everything possible for strait line speed. You should get a tuned pipe and HD 2-speed(heavy duty) IMO. I own a cvec pipe(older style) and i love it. Ill be getting a team sts .12 polished pipe and ill see how it works. If you dont have some, get some x-pattern tires. Those tires work great compared to the radials.

The pic below is old. Since then i added 4 alum RRP pulleys, graphite shock towers and y-brace, cvds, alum steering light wieght pulley shaft, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stsmt12-nrs4.jpg (77.2 KB, 544 views)
Old 01-28-2003, 12:47 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Default I just won a HPI RS4 2 Nitro

Poonkla;

In order of importance;

1) Better TIRES.
This is a absolute must if you race.
The HPI X-patterns are NOT better than the tires that come with the Nitro-2 (kit). If you are going to race, do a search for "tires" in this forum and this will pull up many recommendations on tires for Racing.

2) HD 2spd transmission.
Your engine will run cooler and your car will be much faster.

3) Better pipe and header.
The Paris Turbo Ring pipe works great on the stock HPI .15FE engine and is reasonably priced. CEN has some good, strong and inexpensive Headers to fit the HPI.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:49 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the good reply!
Old 01-28-2003, 02:51 PM   #8
Tech Chat Moderator

Your welcome. What kinda of tires come with the kit? I was thinking the radials but thats the rtr. I just checked some old magazines and websites, and both kits include radials. X-pattern do better than radials on parking lots.

As for a manifold. Check out dynamite for there manifolds. They have some that are much bigger in diameter. I have one and it works great. But dont take our word for it alone. You need to read as much as you can before putting the money down. It might help if you ask the people you plan to race with what they use set up wise.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:18 PM   #9
Tech Elite

TheRagunCajun & Poonkla;

Both the Kit and the RTR come with the Radial pattern tires, but the Kit comes with the Softer "Pro" compound which is the same as the X-Patterns. The Advan Tires come in the better "R" series compound, but are hard to find sometimes. I really wound not recommend HPI tires to anyone when there are so many better choices out there.

See "Tire Choices for Parking Lot Racing" thread.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:32 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Okay, another question, I did infact put the controller up on ebay and some other stuff and I was wondering. Is the JR remote control (the 239.99 one with the frequency changing digitally) worth it, or should i get an MX-3 for 129.99?
Old 01-28-2003, 10:15 PM   #11
Tech Chat Moderator

Well i agree on that there are many other brands of tires that are good. It's true. But the x-patterns are good tires. The best...no. I tried my buds x-patterns and they are almost as good as a set of pits i have. V-rage is descent but i find they dont turn as good as id like IMO.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:25 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Default Which Radio?

TheRagunCajun;

I've also tried the HPI X-patterns (per a friend) and they suck. Once you RACE with a better tire you will NEVER run an HPI or a Pro-Line tire again.
Right now, IMHO, the Sorex 36R is the best all around tire for sealed asphalt when track temperatures are above 60F. For a close second choice the Take-Off's 27CS pre-mounted ($30 usd) work almost as good on asphalt and better on concrete. Also this is assuming we are still talking about Nitro cars.

Poonkla;

The MX-3 is a great radio for the price. Right now you can get the Futaba 3PDFM (I have two) for about the same price (no servos) and it is comparable.
Either Radio will serve you well for many years to come and has more than enough features for most people. Unless you have $$$ to burn, there is really no reason to spend more.

Last edited by popsracer; 01-28-2003 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:33 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Well.....

The MX-3 radio has two servos and teh JR has two servos as well. The owners told me that it is better to get the JR because you can change the frequency digitally and that there are no crystals. I am kinda talking myself into it though.

So far I have purchased:

Nitro starter pack from local hobby shop:
Metered MiCd Glow Driver w/ Charger
2 glow plugs
Glow plug wrench
Fast fill 500cc nitro container
Spare fuel line (neon orange)

All of that was 30$ plus tax.

The Tornado Turbo Ring Tuned pipe from Golden Horizons
23$+5$ shipping
A set of 26mm chrome wheels
12$+1$ shipping

Depending on how my auctions will do, I will get the nicer radio since I don't really need anything else right now. The guys at the hobby shop said the best thing to do was to just get used to driving the car, then throw on a 2 speed HD transmission. Hopefully I will receive my car within a day or two!
Old 01-29-2003, 12:40 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Default Hobby Shop advice.

Poonkla;

The Hobby shop guy was right. Get used to the car first. Even better if you can set-up some kind of corner markers somewhere and practice that way.
WARNING***; Make sure you sand/scrape the chrome from the bead area of the wheels before gluing on the tires. The CA will not stick to the chrome plating. A securely glued tire assembly is a must.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:47 PM   #15
Tech Chat Moderator

Poonkla;

You need to pick up some stuff to clean your car too. Like baby wipes, denatured alachol, electric motor cleaner or the stuff made for that sold in hoby shops. The nrs4 2 will get dirty but not filthy unless you egnore it. After a day of running inspect your pulleys. Is a small rock gets caught between the teeth then it will mess it up if you dont tend to it. If you have an air compressor, then that helps a great deal.

Also get some double sided mounting tape. Also some foam rubber to put under your receiver. It will reduce vibration alot. You will also need some good hex drivers, phillips and flat head screw drivers. Well, not so much the hex drivers since the stock car doesnt have many if not none. You'll get a set of tools and they work fine.