Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smack the boards

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default Smack the boards

Does anyone know of any track that line their borders or walls with foam or rubber material? I ask this because I think everyone can relate to smacking the boards at least once or twice and ending up with their car in pieces. Making the boards "softer" will decrease the number of busted parts. But I guess that wouldn't be good for the track owner because less people will buy parts that would have been replaced. At Rev, everyone hears it when a car kisses the wall at the end of the straightaway and many cars do not come out unscathed after the impact. It would be nice to line that wall with a few layers of rubber matting. I bet alot of drivers would be happy.

Any thoughts???
Old 10-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Here in Florida, we have a track that has soft walls. You can SMACK the walls as you say, preaty hard and no damage to your car. They are very flexible and forgiving. What they used is the kick lining matterial from a semi trailer so that fork lifts don't go through the sides. speedlinebb3.wmv
Old 10-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Tech Addict

james go to BED....
Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

just got up. what about you?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Tech Addict

trying to go to bed
Old 10-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Tech Adept

In europe, most tracks have a grass infield. It's very hard to damage a car there, unless you slam into another car...
Old 10-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

i think the problem with a foam board or something else that is very soft is that when you go into it it would grab the car and pull an arm right off. i've seen tracks that have thin pieces of abs that have a space between them so the car gets bounced back in the drive line which causes it's own set of problems.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

newbies usually have the most problems with breaking. we all crash but as you learn to drive your crashes aren't that hard,cause you have much better throttle control.thus your not over driving the car(getting off throttle when your supposed to)it's not unusual for a good driver to go to 6-7 races without breaking anything,yet he still has a few good wrecks!
Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I don't think the "fix" is making the walls softer, I think it is learning how to drive your own race! Don't overdrive your abilities.