R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-26-2003, 10:38 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Fiream
Angry 2 Speed Troubles

Okay,

Heres the trouble i'm having. As you know I have a HPI Nitro RS4-2 the trouble is te my 2 speed keep stalling my motor. I have had this 2 speed for about 4 months now and this started about 2 months ago. What happens is I start my car up run it around easy until it get warmed up. Like at the start of a race i'll come to a stop at the line, it will run for about 5-10sec and then it will let out a loud but short screech and the motor will stall. I've taken this 2 speed apart about 4 or 5 time already to see i anything was stuck in it or out of place but i have found nothing. I really could use some help cause Its getting pretty embarassing to have someone hold or car before you start.

Thanks,
Rob
Fiream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Tech Regular

hmmmmmm is it the tyeps off schreech that comes from a bearing or from alloy to alloy

it sounds more of a clutch problem
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:28 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I've check the clutch bel & shoes and they are fine. Even the guy at the hobby store who has been doing this for awhile can't figure it out....

Rob
Old 01-26-2003, 11:35 PM   #4
Tech Regular

your spring could be streched or sofened up in either configaration

or the idel might be a bit higer than normal and the clutch is just engaging and then it grips and stalls

could be a bearing on the shaft too
Old 01-27-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
Tech Chat Moderator

Ok, if you didnt take down the entire 2-speed assembly then you need to and inspect every part. With that out the way, then your tuning could be off, most likely lean.

When does this problem acure? If i am reading right, it happens while the car just sit there(idleing). If that's the case, then it isnt your 2 speed cuz idling has nothing to do with a 2 speed. Check out the washers and needle bearing on your pilot shaft. It could be missing a washer or something is worn. INSPECT everything on it. I have the nrs4-2 with the hd 2-speed on it as well. What gearing are you running with your 2-speed. I noticed with the use of a 15/18, 13/18, 13/20 clutchbell i have to add or subtract washers. I also have to use 2 washers to hold on the clutchbell since the clutchbell hole is much larger than the stock clutchbell. Till this day i dont understand why the clutchbell hoel is bigger than stock.....i mean the single washer dosent do jack as far as i can tell.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I have inspected the 2 speed many times and nothing seems to be wrong with it. I do know that when I first installed it that the gears riding on the bell housing were very tight even after I meshed the gears with a piece of thin plastic. After that I oiled the gears and they start to loosen up. but I can tell you it is a 2 speed problem, if I spin the gear of the 2 speed in reverse they will make the squeeking noise, it's almost as the inner clutch is binding... I'm really puzzled as to whats wrong and I don't want to end up buying another $90 2 speed....

Rob
Old 01-27-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
Tech Elite

There is a simple solution. HPIs piece of junk 2 speed only includes 2 small BUSHINGS along with the needle bearing. These bushing which ride on the pilot shaft eventually lose their lube and start to bind the clutch to the pilot shaft. Solution is to get rid of these bushings and replace them with bearings.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:44 PM   #8
Tech Master

If the engine is stalling while you are sitting idle it cannot under any circumstance be anything to do with the 2-speed gearbox. It only becomes effective once the clutch engages.

If it is stalling after hearing a screeching noise that would definately suggest that a bearing is gone. It may not necessarily be any bearings on the clutch which would explain why you cant find anything wrong.

I suggest you strip the engine and replace the front bearing and the big end bearing inside the engine case. One of these is most likely your culprit.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 07:16 PM   #9
Tech Regular

yeah modller that what i was trying to put accross

Old 01-27-2003, 07:29 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trust me guys it is what I said. I had a HPI back in the day and it did the exact same thing.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:29 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Default Fiream;

Listen to AMGracer. What he says is correct. It's NOT your engine, it's your clutch bearings/bushings squealing from lack of lubrication.

Inspect the clutch needle bearing too and replace if it is melted. The small bearings to replace the bushings are only a few $$ each. Once repaired, be sure to disassemble the clutch and put a drop of lube on all 3 bearings every once in a while. (you can grease the needle bearing) Just not too much or the clutch will slip.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:33 PM   #12
Tech Regular

i was refering to the bearings that the clutch bell runs on

i didnt read modellors post right
Old 01-27-2003, 09:55 PM   #13
Tech Chat Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
When does this problem acure? If i am reading right, it happens while the car just sit there(idleing). If that's the case, then it isnt your 2 speed cuz idling has nothing to do with a 2 speed. Check out the washers and needle bearing on your pilot shaft. It could be missing a washer or something is worn. INSPECT everything on it.
I agree with RagunCajun
Old 01-27-2003, 11:57 PM   #14
Tech Master

The clutch bearings would be the first thing I would look at also. But in his post Fiream said that it was checked over several times and no problems were found. Thats why I suggested that one of the main engine bearings might be gone.

But I agree that the problem does appear to be clutch bearing related.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:07 AM   #15
Tech Regular

yeah that or the front bearing shims are too big and itsbinding on the seals ??????

i work at a hobbie shop and i do rember thatthe hpi need differnt shims for it ?????????