R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default ( new to site ) also can i do this?

Hi, right now i currently have a GXR15 Pull Start Engine for my nitro rc car and i was wondering if it is possible to convert it to a non-pull start engine. I am saying like if i buy a new engine with no pull start will it still work?!?

Thanks,
Shaun
SHAUN707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

post this question in the newbie,or nitro thread and you will get answers.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I moved this to the nitro forum, you should get a better responce here.

Are you looking to convert your GXR15 ( thats a Kyosho engine, right? ) to non-pull start, or are you looking to mount a non-pull start engine in place of your GXR15? Also, what car is it in?

Generally, with many nitro engines - yes you can convert it to non-pull start by buying a new backing plate and becoming creative with a cut-off wheel. There is a lot more to this process than what I am going to type here, as I'm not sure what exactly you want to do. I would probably reccomend getting a new engine rather than going through this process, even more so if you've run quite a bit of fuel through it. And again, generally speaking, most nitro cars you can mount a non-pull start engine in place of a pull start engine. You will have to buy a starter box though. It would also be best to purchase non-pull engine mounts and flywheel to lower the engine - which although not "nessisary" - is definately reccomended as a lower Center of Gravity is one of the benifits of a non-PS engine.

These additional questions should help get the ball rolling on getting you an answer. Welcome to RCTech!
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

yes i am trying to covert it to a non pull start it is a brand new kyosho engine in a FW-05T , any tips on how to convert do i just buy a adapter ( backplate ) or what?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Tech Master

You can convert your old engine to non pull or get a new engine without a pull start. Once you do this, you need to get a starter box or a bump starter in order to start the car. I wouldn't really recomend converting a pull start engine to non pull start. Its just better to get a new non pull start engine when your old engine wears out.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

thanks rapid roy
Old 08-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #7
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAUN707
yes i am trying to covert it to a non pull start it is a brand new kyosho engine in a FW-05T , any tips on how to convert do i just buy a adapter ( backplate ) or what?
Shaun - While it's generally not recommended to do the conversion - and I do not know if it's possible on your specific engine or not. I hope someone else can chime in on that.

I know that the magazines have done a "how to" on this before. Although I do not have any specific magazines or issues on hand to refferance for you. Let me warn you that it does take some dremel work, and if you haven't torn apart a nitro engine before - it's probably not something I would reccomend. I would rather see you beat the living tar out of your PS engine and then buying a non-ps than to accidently screw up your PS engine trying to convert it. However, I don't know how much experiance you have - thats for you to judge.

Beyond that - IF Kyosho offers the parts to do this ( im not familiar with their engines ) - you would need a new backplate for the engine, non-ps engine mounts, and non-ps flywheel. You would need a dremel and cut off wheel to remove the PS nub off the crankshaft.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote