R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Sealcoating A Track

Has anyone on this forum had experience with sealcoating their track or having their track sealcoated. A new track is going to be opened in Miami, FL, and the owners are in the process of sealcoating it. It would be great if people on this forum who have went through similar procedures could let them know how it turned out, i.e. good vs bad, what types of sealcoat did they apply, how thick, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Go to the Great Lakes Challenge thread and PM Ted Hammer, he would know.

The Toledo track is AWESOME!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My advice would be "DON'T"
Old 07-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemugen
Has anyone on this forum had experience with sealcoating their track or having their track sealcoated. A new track is going to be opened in Miami, FL, and the owners are in the process of sealcoating it. It would be great if people on this forum who have went through similar procedures could let them know how it turned out, i.e. good vs bad, what types of sealcoat did they apply, how thick, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
in sydney australia, our club has just set up a permenant track using boral bitumen with some sort of grit in it.
using old hardcourt tennis courts the serface was cleaned with a members bobcat with rotary brush to take most of the loose bits and dirt off.
the next step was to mark out the layout and test it with our cars to see if it was good to drive it with various classes of car.
once the layout was finalised we got the boys together one sunday and layed it down and painted the infield green .
the bitumen was used on the track only and not the infield and was pored out 2-3 litres at a time and spread out using a squeegie(larger version of the thing you clean your windscreen with at the gas station, about the size of a large broom).
it was done this way to make sure that any cracks were filled to smooth the surface and get the job done quicker.
as they went round the track someone went over all the surface right behind with a foam roller and smoothed and evened out the finish.
by the end of the day 1-2 hours after finishing painting
the track was dry enough to run our cars on.
we did and found the track had good traction straight away.
sunday was our first race day there since it opened and had a great day , the tracktion got better throughout the day and is only going to get better as time goes on
hope this gives you some info to help
hope this is what you ment by sealercoat
cheers
joe
Old 07-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Old 07-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Our local track is on a tennis court.
Guys used a bitumen/tar and sand mix initially last year ,this year they did a resurface were necessary and put a coarser sand in the mix/slurry.
The coarser mix really helped with traction and reduced tyre wear.
Attached Thumbnails
Sealcoating A Track-dmcctrack1.jpg  
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Now thats a nice track !!
Do you have any problems or complaints from having two different surfaces from having only re-surfaced the track in certain area's?

Just a great track though....... congrats to the builders and organizers there.
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Guys had problems with traction in the tight corners ,over some time traction started to decrease on these corners.With the new coarser slurry improved this problem.
Track is usually sugared on Saterdays before Sunday meet.Guys are also practicing on Saterdays.

We are having the second last round of Nationals next week 3-6th August.
Will post some pics of the event and a bit of a report.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Tech Elite

What Ira said! Ask Ted Hammer. The Toledo surface is incredible. Use their traction spray too. Very low tire wear, massive traction, very consistant.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland
What Ira said! Ask Ted Hammer. The Toledo surface is incredible. Use their traction spray too. Very low tire wear, massive traction, very consistant.
i sent ted a pm, so just waiting to hear from him. thanks all for your advice. that bitumen deal sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Joe,

Call Jim Rice from the Ft Myers R/C car track .... He's been around r/c for 20+ years

Crashtopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I think Virgin asphalt is best. The Sugarbowl (Atlanta GA) has been around for at least 6 years, with no sealer. The surface is still as smooth as Toledo (just gray color now off the line) . I have seen some sealers that were OK, like in Toledo, and some that were terrible. Not sure what the differences are, but go with what Toledo has. I am no expert on this, but I think the higher the sand content of the asphalt is also better, makes for a smoother track. Why is everyone sealing tracks? Does it last longer?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
I think Virgin asphalt is best. The Sugarbowl (Atlanta GA) has been around for at least 6 years, with no sealer. The surface is still as smooth as Toledo (just gray color now off the line) . I have seen some sealers that were OK, like in Toledo, and some that were terrible. Not sure what the differences are, but go with what Toledo has. I am no expert on this, but I think the higher the sand content of the asphalt is also better, makes for a smoother track. Why is everyone sealing tracks? Does it last longer?
i agree with you 100% that virgin (unsealed asphault is the best). what happens is that after a while, the asphault will start to crack some spots and flake away. but that is due to improper maintenance. their are two types of sealers out their. the first type is an oil type that is referred to as gilsonite. this is oil based and what it does is actually goes into the asphault and replenishes the supply of oil into the asphault. if this is done once a year, your track will last forever and the best traction. the key is this product does not put a thick cover over the aspault, rather it "refurbishes" the asphault.

the second type of sealer is water based. what this does is actually covers the top of asphault. it tends to have a slicker surface, unless you add sand into it--- which will increase tire wear. also, once you use waterbase, you can never go back to the oil base sealer. the reason being is that when you cover the asphault with waterbased sealer, the oil based sealer can no longer sink into the asphault and once it rains for the first time it will just get washed away. their is a major misconception of what sealer can do. it does not fix cracks or replace missing asphault. the major purpose of sealer is to make driveways look nicer. it actually decreases the traction of asphault. think about it, if sealer increased the life of aspault, how come they don't put it on highways... thats because it is so much slicker. also, when you put a waterbased sealer on top of asphault, it is going to crack more. simply for that fact that you are not allowing the driveway to breathe anymore. you are covering the pours and not allowing anything in, water and air to keep it hydrated.

grinder,
the reason people put the sealer on instead of new asphault is because it is much cheaper. say $500 compared to $20,000.

joe
Old 07-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemugen
i sent ted a pm, so just waiting to hear from him. thanks all for your advice. that bitumen deal sounds like a good idea.
joe,
we have 3 tracks with this bitumen coating in sydney and nearby woollongong,
1 is an indoor track on smooth concrete where rubbers work best because of the smoothness i think, maybe they didnt use bitumen which had a corse enough grit also.
the woollongong track is outdorrs on conrete also but not as smooth as the indoor track and tyre wear is low and grip is good using foams 37 shore.

the only problem you'll find is that when it rains and the track has damp puddles it will take a lot longer to dry out as the surface is not porous and the water just sits in top
but otherwise i highly recomend the bitumen/tar
cheers
joe
Old 07-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
joe,
we have 3 tracks with this bitumen coating in sydney and nearby woollongong,
1 is an indoor track on smooth concrete where rubbers work best because of the smoothness i think, maybe they didnt use bitumen which had a corse enough grit also.
the woollongong track is outdorrs on conrete also but not as smooth as the indoor track and tyre wear is low and grip is good using foams 37 shore.

the only problem you'll find is that when it rains and the track has damp puddles it will take a lot longer to dry out as the surface is not porous and the water just sits in top
but otherwise i highly recomend the bitumen/tar
cheers
joe
i have to agree with you, the bitmuen/tar (which is not considered a sealer) sounds a lot better. i have read up on it on the net a bit and bitumen is actually the main product used in making asphault. so that is probably a very good product to use. thanks for your advice.