R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Traxxas 4Tec vs Yokomo GT4 ?

Of course its a bit too cold out here now for On-Road cars but soon I will be buying a new nitro car. I have narrowed it down to 2 cars - Traxxas 4Tec or Yokomo GT4.

I just wanted to put up a thread here to find out what the experts think about each car.

Too bad no-one makes either car in kit form but that's not that big a deal.

Does the 3.0cc out weigh the 2.5cc (converted to metric all by myself), etc.

They look about the same and only differ in price by $50.oo.

Just wondering what all-ya-all have to say...

Marker
Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:17 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

The 4 TEC is as good as they come .
if you picked one up I don't think you'll wounder if you made the right choice but thats just my 2 cents.
FASTERTHENU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

I was very impressed with the Traxxas website and how they market the 4Tec (and their other kits). The demo video was very HQ. And the Yokomo was just a couple cars racing around in a parking lot.

If this has anything to do with the car then your right, the 4Tec is probably the best.

I just think there is something EXOTIC about the Yokomo and its 3.0cc engine. Not to mention the print ad in RC Car Action.

Impressed Yokomo but not as much as by Traxxas.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:26 PM   #4
Tech Chat Moderator

The nitro 4-tec will be faster in a strait line out the box than the gt-4 will be. gt-4 is much more on the race car side than the 4-tec. There is a thing called search. If you type in nitro 4-tec, gt-4 or something that has something to do with it and you'll get results about it. The gt-4 has been talked about alot as well as others in these forums. The best thing u can do is read as much as you can. You just cant expect people to hold your hand the enitre way. But most will be glad to help.

Last edited by TheRagunCajun; 01-22-2003 at 08:38 PM.
TheRagunCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:25 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Don't hold my hand...

I was just hoping to get answers more easily thean to read every post about either car.

Just curious.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Maybe I'm missing something. . .

The Yokomo is light-years beyond the Traxxas and it does come in a kit form.

Truthfully, out of the box and bone stock. . .yeah, the Traxxas is going to be faster straightline than the Yok. Of course, if you change the gearing, then the larger motor on the Yok (RTR) is going to win out - more cubic, more power, more speed. But straightline is the most trivial part - my bud can out straightline me hard - but I absolutely eat him up on the infield. . .

The Yok is far more adjustable than the Traxxas. Every adjustment you may ever need is available on the Yok - droop, downstop, aren't available on the Traxxas that I can find. It's also Far FAr FAR easier to adjust a pivotball suspension than one with turnbuckles. . .I hate my ETC3 now that I have been playing with pivot balls!

So, it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to race, go with the Yok. It's a better RACE car.

If you want to bash around in a parking lot and go fast as you can until you have to turn around and come back as fast as you can - get the Traxxas. It's a better toy.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

I agree that the 4Tec is a better TOY and that the Yokomo is much less of a TOY.

The 4Tec may be all I'll ever need. But if I can buy features like "droop" and "down stop" -never heard of that before- for only 50 bucks maybe the Yokomo is best. Plus pivot-ball suspension is more advanced. I wonder how much adjusting I will need to do at the track and in front of the house.

Plus the issue of electric (heavier) and pull-start...

Keep posting this is getting interesting!!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:10 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

now, that IS an interesting piece, though.

I hate pull starts, and Traxxas has shown their system has some stability and reliability.

That is a big plus for the T. . .

So, what do you want to do with it?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Mostly racing around the neighborhood and the race track on the weekends.

The track is an hours drive and not very busy even on the weekend.

So really, I want to do what no-one can do with a real car.

ZZZZoooooommmmm......... 60mph
Old 01-23-2003, 08:36 PM   #10
Tech Chat Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Marker
Don't hold my hand...

I was just hoping to get answers more easily thean to read every post about either car.

Just curious.
Sorry man, didnt mean to sound rude. I dont blame you for not reading every post....i should of thougth about that.b I wouldnt of either.

You might want to make sure that if you plan on getting parts local, who carries what parts. If you plan to order all ya parts, then that isn't important as much. The 4-tec comes with the new EZ starter and with a much stronger engine(ive seen it in a t-maxx) than the older one. I do hate pull staters with a pasion . You might also want to look at alot of pics and articles about them to see how hard it will be to do basic work on it when needed. Youll be wrenching on your car alot. Also check out the aftermarket for each seeing how you must likely wont keep it stock for long.

The engine size isnt important at all unless your going to race. Just cuz the Yok has a .18 doesnt mean it will beat the 2.5 in any contest. I seen the traxxas 2.5 run in a t-maxx and no way it had over 35k rpms. I heard it made 50k rpms but i might be imaginging things cuz thats total BS. Gearing helps speed and power alot too. Of course rpm and hp make a huge difference.

Also check out the gearing ratios for each car. I have a problem with my nrs4-2. I cant get the ratios i want cuz they dont make screw on pinion gears like the ntc3 and other raceing tc's do. I should of thought about that before i spent about 1.2k+ on it. But hey, its fast....in a strait line.

Last edited by TheRagunCajun; 01-23-2003 at 09:50 PM.
TheRagunCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:35 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

I agree that the EZ Start is better than a pull-start. But there is a certain charm about yanking on a cord and watching the car come to life.

I hope to not have to buy all kinds of parts for the car. Looks like when I KISS a rock or tree the body and foam bumper will keep stuff from breaking. Unlike a truck where the wheels are way out there (HPI Savage is over 6 inches long per side) with nothing that would even slightly protect the arms, axles, and even the shocks from a high speed crash.

As far as parts go, my LHS can order anything I need from almost any manufacturer in only 2 or 3 days. Best practice to drive with care.

The gearing trouble you have could be solved by getting taller (or smaller) tires/wheels. I am going to put up another post about how there is nothing for sale to fit a nitro touring car that is any bigger than 26mm wide. Figure the Dodge Viper has 6.6lbs per HP and the 4Tec has 3.2lbs per HP. That means if the 13inch wide rear wheels on the Viper are needed to keep the car on the ground than a touring car should have 2 to 3 inches of rubber on the back - and much wider on the front. I guess this is something the RC engineers overlooked. I also found that the wide foam tires cannot be put on the 200mm touring cars. Something about the wheel adaptors.

Did I get that right about your RS4 and 1.2K in it for upgrades?

Is that in $$ Dollars or Pesos? YEOW!!!

Old 01-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #12
Tech Chat Moderator

I meant USA $.

You cant count on tires and wheels to increase/decrease speed and power. You can only make a few milimeters here and there change. If you go much bigger, the tire will hit the pipe and/or other stuff when u turn. Foams are much better for grip if you set it up right.

Your car should be able to handle crashes but nothing to crazy. The amount of damage really depends on speed and angle of the hit. I foam bumber is a nice upgrade that will help out.

And about the lbs per hp stuff, i have no clue what you are talking about. . The amount of bite(grip) a tc has, depends on how you set it up. Tires play a big role in this as well.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:33 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

What I meant by the lbs per HP was to refer to a indexing method for full scale cars that shows how much power a car has based on engine power and vehical wieght.

As an example:

The Dodge Viper weighs 3300lbs and has an engine rated at 450 HP.

The Nitro 4Tec weighs 4.5lbs and has an engine rated at 1.25HP.

Take the weight and devide by the HP and you get the rating of "lbs per HP" ( Pounds per Horse Power)

This rating system enables buyers and manufacturers to rate any car based on how much it weighs and how powerful the engine is.

So the Viper is rated at about 7.3lbs per HP

And the 4Tec or GT4 is rated at about 3.6lbs per HP

To put it simply the lesser number means the faster vehical. Less weight to be pushed by each HP. Get it??

Figure a 140HP Yamaha R1 Street bike weighs 500lbs. With the Pounds per HP system you can figure about how much faster a motorcycle is than a car. The R1 is 3.5lbs/HP and the Viper is 7.3lbs/HP. Obviously the motorcycle is faster because its pushing a lighter vehical with a very powerful engine.

Anyway, I just want to get the really wide tires like the Viper or R1 has to handle all the power of the car. More power (lbs/HP) needs wider tires to float, right?

Hope no-one is confused...
Old 01-24-2003, 02:19 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Dont Really need tires that wide because the car is so light it is easier for the rubber that it does have to make direction changes in comparison to a heavy car. Plus we gots the 4wd!!
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 05:36 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Even if I did find the really wide tires, I bet the car would not
"DRIFT" around the corners like it should.

I just think for looks - the wide tires look better.

I found a set of tires from Pro-Line called Road Hawg III that are for a 2inch wheel that are 3inches tall and 1.75inches wide. That's about 45mm on the back on a stock wheel. I am going to buy these before I even break in the car.

Watch, later, when I put the stock tires back on they out do the wider ones.

What will happen to the gearing with a tire that is 1/2inch taller. Will the car still work right?