R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-26-2006, 10:02 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushdude
I dont own either of these so I dont really know the answer to your question. I have driven the RRR on a small high speed and slightly technical track. The only other higher end on-road car that I have driven is my R40. The RRR has similar handling as my r40 does but it powers out of the corners a lot better. Both cars, the mtx4 and the rrr are probably equal enough were it mostly depends on the driver and the set-up. I think your decision should depend on what car your lhs carries the most parts for.
oh...thanks....are you planning to get the RRR?
Miu Miu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #17
Tech Initiate

um! really thanks for all those opinion! somehow, never will be a answer for these type of questions!

$$$ isnt the issue. I am running EP at the moment, so setting u the car shouldnt be a hugh problem. but I just want to hear some opinion on both car from who has really spend time on them.

720? arm......people said is very expensive to replace the parts and hard to set it up! is that true/correct?

thanks
Miu Miu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedrider
thought was MTX-4 who is facing the stripping Spur , but not RRR ..

maybe you can refer to the posting from the MTX4 thread and see yourself
Do you race ?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Do you race ?
Oh man.... I can just see the kind of road that kind of comment is going to lead to....

Dom
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miu Miu
um! really thanks for all those opinion! somehow, never will be a answer for these type of questions!

$$$ isnt the issue. I am running EP at the moment, so setting u the car shouldnt be a hugh problem. but I just want to hear some opinion on both car from who has really spend time on them.

720? arm......people said is very expensive to replace the parts and hard to set it up! is that true/correct?

thanks
no this is not true .
the new 720 is easy to setup or i should say no harder to set up than the other cars.
as for parts just check around serpent prices are on par with the other .
Old 07-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed-dom
Eventhough I'm a Kyosho driver, I'll make unbiased comments as much as I can....

Both are good cars in capable hands!

Kyosho has recently solved the spur stripping problem with new improved materials for all of their spur gears. As for stripping spurs, the MTX4 was and is having the same problem as well, so it isn't isolated to the K car. One of my friend stripped the spurs on his MTX4 at the Byron's race recently while leading the race.

I have a bag full of replacement parts and I haven't needed to replace any parts very often this year. Yes, I have repalced the usual belts, pulleys because of wear and tear, but that's normal.

Just "looking" at a car on the bench doesn't necessary give you an idea how durable a car actually is, unless you actually run it and crash it. I have got to say that I have pushed my RRR hard this year so far, I have hit corners which have a 100lb weight on it hard. So far (knock on wood), no broken arms, shocks, knuckles! And when you go fast, you hit stuff hard!

Here's my advice for you. If you have good experience with setup and familiar with gas sedan racing, go with whatever cars. If you fear of struggling a bit, go with the car that the majority of the local racers run so you have have setup and parts support. Once you gain some of that gas sedan experience, you should have no problem running a car that isn't run by many in your area.

As for Kyosho brand. Many hobby shops carry some kind of Kyosho products, whether it's airplane, offroad stuff, diecast. Any of those hobby shops can order you RRR parts. Also Kyosho America has an online shop as well where you can buy direct!

Dom
p.s. check out www.kyoshoamerica.com

Agree totally....be honest with you I have yet to strip gears on this car I hear of people having this problem but i have yet to notice it and im still using the standard spurs....could it be possibly a mesh issue....i did change the motor mount screws and i am using 2.0mm button type screws to be able to crank down on them...
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert maestrey
Agree totally....be honest with you I have yet to strip gears on this car I hear of people having this problem but i have yet to notice it and im still using the standard spurs....could it be possibly a mesh issue....i did change the motor mount screws and i am using 2.0mm button type screws to be able to crank down on them...
Hey Robert, actually I have only stripped a 2nd spur once so far. And the rest of the RRR drivers locally haven't stripped any. We are all using 2mm button head screws as well. I just call my incident an unlucky one.

Dom
Old 07-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miu Miu

thanks
No No No, the 720 is awesome, and is no harder to set up than any other car. It's not like it has more complicated tuning options or something. I love mine. What I particularly like about it is the access to the diffs. It's just as easy as any other car, but has a slightly different design.
Luke W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedrider
thought was MTX-4 who is facing the stripping Spur , but not RRR ..

maybe you can refer to the posting from the MTX4 thread and see yourself
i guess this kind of thing should not be taken into consideration in comparing cars. it may happen due to improper meshing as well. second, traction sometimes also play roles in stripped spur gears. last week i stripped BOTH of 1st and 2nd gear due to engine mount shifted

before that i never stripped any second gear. and yeah the previous race that i attended i can say maybe 85-90% mtx-4 runners DNF because they stripped their 1st gears. But I can see they are doing fine for this weekend

so, things may happened differently
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #25
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed-dom
Hey Robert, actually I have only stripped a 2nd spur once so far. And the rest of the RRR drivers locally haven't stripped any. We are all using 2mm button head screws as well. I just call my incident an unlucky one.

Dom
Not true I lost both at the last race.but then again it was my fault, loose motor mount.
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

I currently own both cars (MTX4 and RRR WCE). I can tell you, the MTX-4 is much easier to work with and you have to remove less to change stuff. One of this problems is resolved by the stand-up servo on the Evo. The problem in stripping MTX-4 gears can be easily resolved. The main problem comes with faulty clutch bearings, chassis flex (resolved by using aluminum brace), and rough 2nd gear engaging. Also bad mesh and sliding of engine can lead to 2nd gear stripping.

I havent tested my RRR yet, I have had so much trouble changing the front belt that I have even considered selling the car before even giving it a try.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

mtx-4, v1rrr... they are both very fast cars in capable hands.. no question about that.

the support is one of the things you want to look at. another, is parts availability. but with online shops all over the net now, there is no problem with getting parts for almost any car as long as it is current.

for your application, you said you want it to be good for a technical track. maybe a Serpent 720 is worth looking at also. the 720 comes with a diff which most likely will be the choice for the front for your application. it also comes with a one-way (also lockable to make it a pozi front) to be used for more flowing and bigger tracks. it is also the latest car out in the market right now .

good luck and i hope you get the car that is most suitable for you.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #28
Tech Master

The RRR is so great stock with its baseline set-up. I'm willing to put up with an extra 5 minutes in maintenance. It would be nice for quicker changes, but I'm very happy.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

RRR,MTX4,720 in no particular order are the top 3
I have the RRR & had the MTX4 both great cars I just stuck with the RRR
720 on the way & had a 710 the quality on all the manufacturers are superb
look @ your lhs parts support if you don't want to be surfing for parts
either 3 you can't go wrong
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:35 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

If your going to get a RRR WCE, let me know. I'll sell mine to you at a good price with over $250 in parts. And almost all aluminum option parts. I only bought it so a friend of mine could leave the hobby. Kinda doing him a favor.