R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Problem (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/122472-problem.html)

RaceANissan616 07-21-2006 06:02 PM

Problem

I have no idea what is going on here, but here is the problem...I have a HPI RS4 Nitro 3 18ss and I bought it around christmastime and built it and finished it awhile ago but I just started to try and break it in in june and it hasn't been starting at all...So far I've bought a new glow plug and adjusted the high and low speed needles to the manufacturer's break in setting in case they got changed, bought 2 glow plug igniters and I'm starting to think it's my fuel...I bought tower hobbies 15% and I didn't think that fuel could go "bad" but I'm not really sure...I've been in electric for about 4 years and just bought my first nitro this year...so I'm not really a Noob just in nitro ;) but anyway I was wondering if anyone else could give me some troubleshooting advice on this problem...thanks

RaceANissan616 07-21-2006 06:15 PM

and also, the outlaw 18ss engine in the car, is that a .18ci engine? If so what glow plug do you recommend?

Dialed Pile 07-21-2006 06:51 PM

I would try some trinity 20% fuel, that should help it fire up a little easier. Make sure fuel is reaching the carb, apply backpressure to tank by covering exhaust stinger with your finger while cranking engine.

RaceANissan616 07-21-2006 07:04 PM

what if fuel is going through the fuel line to the carb but is not going the carb, does that ever happen?

Dialed Pile 07-21-2006 07:09 PM

Is it pullstart or shaft spin start?? :weird:

RaceANissan616 07-21-2006 07:09 PM

pullstart

RaceANissan616 07-21-2006 07:10 PM

im not saying taht's happening I'm just trying to figure out what MAY be wrong

Dialed Pile 07-21-2006 07:17 PM

Most likely if fuel is going through the line it is reaching the carb. When you are trying to start the engine are you rapidly repeating the pull starter? The reason I ask is because you want the crankshaft and piston spinning at a consistent and somewhat fast rate giving the engine a chance to start. If this does not help you can PM with more questions. Hope I could help! :tire:

RaceANissan616 07-21-2006 07:19 PM

yes i am pulling rapidly with short pulls

jake alton 07-21-2006 09:32 PM

Try to prime the engine. Make sure you have the tank filled, first pull the glow plug out and stick it in the igniter to see if it is working, then pore a little fuel through top of head and turn over a couple of times with out glow plug in. put glow plug back in engine, then try starting.

apollo 07-21-2006 11:30 PM

no no no do not pour fuel down in the head, 1. this could wash dirt into the engine, 2. i promise you that you will most likely flood it

fill the tank with fuel, press the pimer until you see the fuel just get to the carb and no more, then put the igniter on and start to pull, this way it allows the engine to draw the amount of fuel it needs and not be flooded

maskedrider 07-21-2006 11:41 PM

try slightly open the throttle using your controller after you pump the fuel into your carb and pull start your engine...this will help... :nod:

oldnitro 07-22-2006 12:16 AM

try heating up the engine block with a hair dryer or hot air gun.i have found this works well on new engines especially when the weather is cold,as it heats up the air fuel mixture which will burn more easily
good luck

RaceANissan616 07-22-2006 07:33 AM

Will the glow plug get hot if it's working when I stick it in the igniter?

apollo 07-22-2006 07:38 AM

yes the glow plug will get hot if it is a good plug and you have your igniter charged well, this is the whole point of the plug

and everyone is telling you to basically overprime, just bring the fuel to the carb no no more, let the engine take in what it awnts to, and opening the throttle up a little bit from your controller to let it idle high will help start it, on mine i have an adjust button and i turn it up when i start, it fires right up