R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default 950r front droop problem - can you help?

So I'm fairly new to the 1:8 scene, but I'm hooked for sure.

I'm running a 950r and I ran into a strange problem when setting up front droop.

I can not get 0mm front downstop - the arms (without shocks attached or swaybar connected) will not lay flat on a setup board, they seem to bind.

Looking close at everything, it looks as if the pivotballs are 'hitting' the steering knuckles, not allowing the arms to travel any farther. Strange. With droop screws backed out, the arms rest at about 2-3mm above the chassis.

I could remove some material from the steering knuckle, but concerned it would weaken the knuckle and allow it to pop over the pivot ball.

I would have to think this is something other people have run into...and hopefully solved.

Any suggestions?

thanks...
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

What is your front track width? Are your going to the MWS in Chicago this weekend?
rcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Make sure you have the steering knuckles on their correct sides. Left on left and right on right . I've done this before?
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Tech Master

Default WIDTH

Bob - I will need to measure tonight, but I believe front width is about 255.
Yes, I will race MWS this weekend - you?

YB - good suggestion, I will double look for the 4dots tonight!
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Coming up Friday night
rcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbob
Coming up Friday night
Please, make sure you have those high end video camera ready for some more MWS video.....my car looks alot faster on your pervious video then the real thing...

Eric, check your steering knuckles....I am not sure you have replaced your knuckles recently, but I heard 950 steering knuckles are NOT the same as the 950R one and your "R" might not be the actual "R" (since you got that used), it might be the 950 upgrade to R but still running some 950 PARTS on it...I know cause when I got mine, it was the old 950 parts and when I replaced the left side with the 950R parts, I found out it is differen then the right side.....each parts are a little different but big enough to make the differences.

I have my car set on 0mm now without any binding problem...may be you have your knuckles places the opposite way just like someone mentioned above.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
I can not get 0mm front downstop - the arms (without shocks attached or swaybar connected) will not lay flat on a setup board, they seem to bind.

Looking close at everything, it looks as if the pivotballs are 'hitting' the steering knuckles, not allowing the arms to travel any farther. Strange. With droop screws backed out, the arms rest at about 2-3mm above the chassis.
I haven't built a 950R but just got done building a 960 and we didn't have a problem in this department. Three things you may want to check:

1) Make sure all of your plastic pieces are in the correct location and position in the pivot balls in the knuckles. I have seen all kinds of combinations before when fixing people's cars for them. Make sure the pivot ball drops into the knuckle/upright, plastic thing with the radiused side to the ball, 5mm aluminum keeper threads in.

2) Check your front sway bar blades and make sure they are pressed all the way into their pockets. If the two ends touch in the middle... suspension will bind.

3) If you are running a narrow width, make sure the dogbones/universals are not bottoming out in their slots when the suspension compresses and releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBSLOW
Make sure you have the steering knuckles on their correct sides. Left on left and right on right . I've done this before?
Haha... it's ok brotha... so have I. <LOL>
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
Tech Master

Default ?

So...

-Front track is at 250.
-I double checked - the knuckles are on the correct side.
-CVD's are clear & sway bar is not installed

Thanks everyone for their help, but I'm still stumped.

See attached pic - sure seems like the pivot ball it stopping the travel at the knuckle...

See attached
Attached Thumbnails
950r front droop problem - can you help?-950r_front.jpg  
Old 07-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
Tech Regular

It does appear the Pivot Ball is close to the top of the steering knuckle, however, I think you might want to check something else too. I think the statement "zero droop" and "flat on the set-up board" may not be interchangable here.

Your droop will need to be measured with the "set-up" blocks, which elevate the chassis approximately 20mm off your set-up board. One challenge with the front arms of both my old 950R and my new 960 is the Sway Bar holders which attach and pivot with the lower A arms, actually dangle below the chassis & lower A armsl about 2 mm. So, when you set the chassis on a flat board (not elevated with the chassis blocks) the arms are "pushed" up by the sway bar holders which are lower than the chassis.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #10
Tech Master

Actually, I was using setup blocks. I used the term 'flat to the board' because I think there are a few definition of '0 droop'...but I agree, the sway bar mount will stop the arms when trying to set droop just sitting on a setup board.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Oh well, one less thing that could be wrong!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
Tech Master

well, it was the steering knuckles.

I took some material away, and I was able to get the downtravel. Just removed some material from above the top pivot ball.