R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 10 Minute Qualifiers

They are running these in the Pro Series and we ran them at the Byrons race. It is awesome. It brings all aspects into play. It makes the race less of a sprint race and more of an endurance race. With the pit stop, it lets you shine(or dull).
What is everyone's opinions on this?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I agree, I came in early (4:30) for my pit stop in the 4th qualifier and i came back out onto the track with wide open space all around me. By the time the race ended, 2nd place was half a lap behind me. I love the idea and hopefully more and more tracks will adopt the 10 min quals.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the nsw titles is the only race apart from the up and coming club nitro challenge that run 10 minute qualifiers here in this part of australia but this format is more challenging for the competitors as fuel stop strategy comes into play and also consistencey over all out pace.
over all the more racing we get to do on the day the more fun is had by all
Old 07-16-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 10 min qualls

I think it is awesome! After all, in the mains you have to fuel and a quick pit man can make or break you. And it gives your pitman some practice!!
speedracer1bp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1bp
I think it is awesome! After all, in the mains you have to fuel and a quick pit man can make or break you. And it gives your pitman some practice!!
yes love it 10min quals the more track time the better
PNP HOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Uhm... maybe I'm wrong, but your rival at qualifiers aren't the other 9 at the track. Your rival is the chrono. Is on the finals where your rivals are the other 9 racers.

10 minute quals could be a great idea changing your whole vision of the qualifiers, but... what's the objective of 10 min quals? better to have more 5 minute qualifiers (well... IMHO I prefeer to have 6 5min quals rather than 2 or 3 10min qualifiers). This gives me more opportunities of playing with the setup of the car and gives me more opportunities of getting a better setup.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Definately, 10 minutes qualifiers are best for nitro racing. When the RC pro series came to Santa Clara at Rams, the 10 minute qualifiers made a huge difference. More track time means more close racing.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:09 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I personally think that it is very good.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
the nsw titles is the only race apart from the up and coming club nitro challenge that run 10 minute qualifiers here in this part of australia but this format is more challenging for the competitors as fuel stop strategy comes into play and also consistencey over all out pace.
over all the more racing we get to do on the day the more fun is had by all
tamworth cup has always been 10 minute qualifiers, except for this year the racers wanted more heats vs qualifying time which was voted on at drivers meeting... so we changed to what racers wanted 5 minute heats. also i know this year i noticed the winter champs went back to 5 minute heats did the summer nats? i was unable to attend either of these events this year and i'm almost positive in previous years these events held 10 minute qualifiers.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite
tamworth cup has always been 10 minute qualifiers, except for this year the racers wanted more heats vs qualifying time which was voted on at drivers meeting... so we changed to what racers wanted 5 minute heats. also i know this year i noticed the winter champs went back to 5 minute heats did the summer nats? i was unable to attend either of these events this year and i'm almost positive in previous years these events held 10 minute qualifiers.
the last 2 summer nats had 5 minute qualifiers as did last years winter nats from memory
give me 10 min. qualifiers any day, helps practicing your concentration levels for the finals too
maybe i'll try to get the club day qualifiers changed to 10 min. but the electric boys will revolt
Old 07-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Tech Master

On some tracks its getting pretty tight making 5 mins on a tank so I think 8 mins would be better. It gives you a fuel stop and lets you come in within a window so as to not crowd the pits

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I also think it is very fun and challenging to run ten minutes however, I feel like it might be a financial strain on newbies. The expense might scare people away , especially in 8th scale. More tires, motors , and fuel. Just a thought.
Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just finished running race #3 of the Central Division Onroad RC Pro Series and I like the 10 minute qualifiers. I have no issues with the longer qualifying or mains for that fact. Being primarily a nitro racer on a couple of levels, if you can't hang with the longer run times because of your short attention span , then you should be racing electric anyway.

(***Disclaimer*** the last statement is meant to be sacastically funny and not meant to be serious. )
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

I ran the Byron race also that had 10 minute qualifiers. It really adds another piece to qualifying...we liked it. Even though you are racing the clock in qualifying, it gets you more in the grove for the main. Just pack a few more tires...

JEFF