Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo receiver pack Question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)
Default Lipo receiver pack Question..

I'm just getting back into racing and bought a G4S and using the spektrum system, everything is great but the spektrum seems to kill the small receiver pack quickley..... does anyone run a lipo in thier sedans and does it last longer...is it beneficial ....any down side to it? Also is there one small enough to replace the small 5 cell aaa pack? ......thanks in advance for any help/info
Old 06-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

The Li-Po packs are smaller and that makes them weigh less. It also requires you run a voltage regulator to go from 7.4v to 6.4 volt. the advantage is it is a consistant 6.4 volts to both servos all the time. Less weight regulated power, it is a choice you will have to make. If you need any help with the batterys let me know.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How much time are you getting Steve?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Rich, Thanks for the info!..... Will it last longer than my standard 800mah pack. I'm worried if I'm in an hour main that I won't make it .....again thanks for the info!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i ran them all last season no regulator with a spectrum and digatal servos and ran many warm ups and a 30 min main on 830 mha in a mtx3 i think the right pack will go well over a hour i allso fly with them there the best if takin care of and charged with the right charger
Old 06-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Bucknuts, I'm not real sure with this new car and receiver pack I've only been able to practice a little bit before rain came in but I had my pack charged then ran a 3 or 4 tanks and started getting hard radio hits on my M8 with spektrum....everyone said to charge the rec. pack because spektrum is real sensative to voltage and that fixed it but I only got to run about 2 more tanks...... just kinda concerned about running a long main
Old 06-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trickponyracing, Thanks for the info!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

one more thing the wieght diff is huge like 60 grams lighter
Old 06-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Respont quickly to your trans. to reciever
Old 06-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SCUBA STEVE
Rich, Thanks for the info!..... Will it last longer than my standard 800mah pack. I'm worried if I'm in an hour main that I won't make it .....again thanks for the info!
mah are the same across the board a 1000mah nimh is the same mah as a Li-Po 1000 mah battery. I DO not recommend running them with o0ut a voltage regulator. I know that there are people that get away with running them with out but it is NOT recommended. The Vxr racing 1000mah receiver battery should fit wil very little to no modification.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Kokam 1200 mah 2cell fits right in where a 5c AAA pack will go. I used that pack in my XR8 last year.
The only thing that I don't have LiPos in is my starter box. Might change that too...
Even though Mah is Mah, seems as though I get FAR more time from the same alleged capacity. Some of this comes from the fact that LiPo packs have almost no loss of capacity when not in use. I can go through several race days without charging my TX.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Default Cannot Peak them...

I never used lipos in my car, but I have them in my radio, and my radio lasts all day with no problems. However, what scares me about running it in the car is you cannot peak li-po's. For instance, my friend HAD one, and loved it. However when he got into a situation like bumping up 2 mains, he had major problems. Nimah packs can be peaked when your in a tight spot, or just to be safe peaked between heats, but li-pos take too long to charge. On normal race days they are great, but on that one day where for some reason your driving more than usual be careful.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

I have never had a problem recharging between races with my transmitter pack, yes you have to charge them slow but all that takes is some planning. If that is an issue get 2 batterys and problem solved.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Something else to consider is that while losing weight is universally considered a good thing in R/C, it can have penalties.

One of the big changes between the G4s and its predicessors (all the other G4 encarnations) is the new weight distribution. That new weight distribution has the receiver pack on the outside of the tank next to the pipe. Before this change was made, the G4 series cars were terribly heavy to the servo side. NOW however, the G4s is perfectly balanced left to right. If you remove a significant amount of that weight by going to Lipo, you will likely have to add weight to get things back in balance.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Something else to consider is that while losing weight is universally considered a good thing in R/C, it can have penalties.

One of the big changes between the G4s and its predicessors (all the other G4 encarnations) is the new weight distribution. That new weight distribution has the receiver pack on the outside of the tank next to the pipe. Before this change was made, the G4 series cars were terribly heavy to the servo side. NOW however, the G4s is perfectly balanced left to right. If you remove a significant amount of that weight by going to Lipo, you will likely have to add weight to get things back in balance.

This however is not a issuse with the Mugen Serpent and Kyosho cars batterys are on the center line in the bottom of the chasis so balance is not an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.