R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-26-2002, 01:06 PM   #1066

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
I agree with all of you. Jason thats what I campainged for as did peiter boviets of serpent last year but we got this wishy washy engine rulset again. some progress was made but not enough. I had long discussions with the folks that wrote the rules and I believe they had the best interest of the racers in mind at the time.

However now we have this new problem with all the multiport parts being interchangable in the same engine blocks, this is going to become a real problem at the local level I believe.
It's already happening in the MWS Dennis. There's somebody in our neck of the woods running a JP turbo, dunno if it's multiport, and he's very very good too(won a MWS with it last year too). So where does he get called on it?? It gets to be one of these things where if somebody else is doing and not getting called on it when does it become a free for all?
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #1067
Tech Fanatic

luckily we dont really enforce any engine restriction at club races near me

last season one track ran a 10 week point series where racers were supposed to run unmodded and regular plug 3 ports but i know a few guys were cheating i won point series though with a out the box mt-12 proving its not engine but consistancy that wins point series it didnt hurt the track was kinda small either

keep pushing for those new rules hopefully the new roar leadership will listen to the racers
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 02:23 PM   #1068
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Quote:
Originally posted by jason102276
i won point series though with a out the box mt-12 proving its not engine but consistancy that wins point series it didnt hurt the track was kinda small either

small tracks I agree - engine can't make a huge difference if you're never even hitting second gear. IN memphis we run on a tiny 115X60 foot electric track and for a good part of the year cvr's could beat 5 ports. And from what I see a good bit of racers are losing power in the tuning and engine/pipe combo's more than anything.

But still, there are times when a slew of racers are as good tuners and are as good drivers racing on a decent track and then with the rules the way they are now, the cheese dropped on some of these engines creates imbalances.

Now i'm the first one there to drop 300+ on an engine, but I can see that not everyone wants to do that and it discourages those who can't. And you have to spend about that much to get something appreciably faster than a box-stock mt12.

There are some very, very good electric drivers that will hardly EVER stay on the same lap with factory boyz solely because of the powerplant. Even in club racing there are some mediocre electric drivers that always run at the front - mainly because of their $$$ spent on power plant.

Nitro shouldn't go there...

Its on my list of things to do to email R.Wilson. Hopefully we all will follow through and make a difference.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 02:51 PM   #1069
Tech Fanatic

our track is 130 by 60 i think and believe me im hitting second gear within the first 20-30ft

mainly engine tuning and staying away from the boards has been the key

at nats last year though i was screwed had no hp or luck couldnt keep up speedwise with mtx-2 and couldnt keep the ntc3 to stay together an early wreck bent chassis and i couldnt figure why it kept blowing rear diff gears after that

electric racing wasnt much fun for me motor tuning is difficult to learn and expensive to get all necessary equipment and i wasnt that interested because nitro is way better

luckily rumor has it there will be indoor dirt gas racing opening within a couple hours drive from me

unluckily sedan nats is in cali and that is too far for me
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 11:44 PM   #1070
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by Motorman; 03-08-2003 at 08:51 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:24 AM   #1071
Tech Regular

Yeah , I just read in the mag that the Sirio AAC 5 port sleeve will drop into a OS .12 TR , and into the new Traxxas 2.5 .
Bob
RCsilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 10:03 AM   #1072
Tech Addict

Motorman, check your PM
ME-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 03:16 PM   #1073
Tech Master

Last edited by Motorman; 03-08-2003 at 08:51 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 03:24 PM   #1074
Tech Master

problem is patella were there. At national events everyone tows the line, at local racing events it is getting out of hand. I had a discussion with a western racer an hour ago and he tells me it is becoming a rampant problem at times. There is only 2 solutions

1 confront the offenders and fix it. (does not promote the sport and can get real ugly)

2 remove the engine restrictions except displacement and be done with it. It will flatten out and be over. Then 3 port becomes a sportsman level class like it was supposed to be in the first place. Like the 2wd 235 class. The popular one will rise to the top.

this is just my 2 cents. I'm trying to create a use full discussion so don't take it any other way than that.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:28 PM   #1075
Tech Master

I agree with Motorman. Confronting the baddies only splits or kills the hobby.

The only real way to go is to make it all open. It might hike the prices up for most people but at least there is no arguing over whats legal and whats not.

I prefer open racing. I have grew up racing this way from a kid and will always follow this path. But I also agree that there should a totally standard restricted class especially for newcomers to ease them into the hobby (get them hooked before they see the real costs. lol)

Just my 2cents.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:09 PM   #1076
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Or for those who can't afford the mega expensive motors. I had to save up for my MT12 and really don't want to spend the massive bucks to mod it for the real power.

The situation irks me as well. I would actually be happy if someone came up with a way to enforce the existing rules. If we want to get rid of the rules, fine, but for now, at the LEAST enforce the rules that exist. . .
Old 12-27-2002, 08:23 PM   #1077
Tech Master

There is a way. Do the same thing that Bernie Ecclestone is doing with the FIA in real motorsport. Force Roars hand. Bernie's negotiating a new deal with Mr. Pook to buy the Cart PPG series. In 2007 when the current F1 Concorde agreement finishes the FIA will either have to bow down to the F1 teams or Bernie will declare Cart as the new World Championship series instead of F1 and then the current F1 teams will follow Bernie to Cart and it will become a Worldwide affair with races in several different countries.
The same can be done with Roar/Ifmar. Set up the foundations of a new governing body and persuade as many clubs as possible to run to the new rules. Make it appeal to the clubs that they will be better off. This will force the hand of Roar and they will have to make concrete rules to suit the hobbiest and not the few who are factory sponsored.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 10:44 PM   #1078
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

I don't know if the costs will be that much higher with them open. The 5 port collari is what 40 bucks more than an mt12? That's still a lot less than a modified mt12 from one of the tuners. As long as the tuners can't make something heads and shoulders better than off-the-shelf outlaws we're ok.

I also don't think the problem is ROAR catering to factory drivers in 200mm, I think it's that they have a vision for what the class should be that is not taking into account the reality of what the class already is.

From ROAR's perspective they don't see why if you want to go fast you don't just drive 235mm open, as this class was created when the 2WD 235mm guys wanted to go fast without going to 1/8 scale.

They gave in and made the class and now 2wd 235mm class is on life support. ROAR's take is that if they create another separate outlaw class for sedans the same thing will happen in 200mm...I dunno, maybe they're right?

I do know teching all the ROAR engine rules on a club level would be disastrous and few clubs that want to stay in business are going to do that.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 09:51 AM   #1079
Tech Adept

Hey Dennis I'am still waiting on those pictures you promissed to send me.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 10:00 AM   #1080
Tech Adept

If you guys want a look at the track that will be host to next years nat's goto (www.swrc.biz)

This is our local club website
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote