R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2002, 02:19 AM   #256
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default Re: Re: Re: John, is that you??

Quote:
Originally posted by jd300zxtt
Lee: is that you?

Sydewynder: whassupp?

Yes jd, it's him.


Wazzup? Not much. Did you run anywhere last Sunday?
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 09:49 PM   #257
Tech Regular
 
adelmundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Posts: 266
Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo
Default

DENNIS - Do you mod HPI NitroStar .12 engines (Don't laugh because it's the NitroStar .12R SC made by NovaRossi). It's the side exhaust Nova engine that has a C12 printed on the side of the crankcase. Not sure if it's the EVO I or II since I bought it 2nd hand. Also what is the difference between the EVO I and EVO II Nova side exhaust engines in terms of both physical looks or performance?
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 10:26 PM   #258
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: sunnyvale, ca
Posts: 56
Default

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adelmundo
[B]DENNIS - Do you mod HPI NitroStar .12 engines (Don't laugh because it's the NitroStar .12R SC made by NovaRossi). It's the side exhaust Nova engine that has a C12 printed on the side of the crankcase. Not sure if it's the EVO I or II since I bought it 2nd hand. Also what is the difference between the EVO I and EVO II Nova side exhaust engines in terms of both physical looks or performance?

Hey Art, this is jd300zxtt....Dennis is off playing down in Ft Myers,
Fla at the Gas Winternationals this week, I think...but, I can
answer your questions, if Dennis doesn't mind. He has modified
the original .12R SC a lot as he used to run these in his HPI
super nitro. Externally you can tell the difference by the use
of the MT12 head with separate button on the new EVO II
while the .12R SC had a smaller round head with a fixed
combustion chamber/button on the bottom. Internally, the
EVO II is virtually identical to the new RS12/RB12 engines in
that it uses the same piston/sleeve (rotated 90 degrees for
side porting), con rod, and crankshaft, while the original .12R
SC had the same crankshaft but the sleeve had much smaller
ports and timing. Hope this answers your questions....
jd300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:27 AM   #259
Tech Regular
 
adelmundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Posts: 266
Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo
Default

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jd300zxtt
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by adelmundo
DENNIS - Do you mod HPI NitroStar .12 engines (Don't laugh because it's the NitroStar .12R SC made by NovaRossi). It's the side exhaust Nova engine that has a C12 printed on the side of the crankcase. Not sure if it's the EVO I or II since I bought it 2nd hand. Also what is the difference between the EVO I and EVO II Nova side exhaust engines in terms of both physical looks or performance?

Hey Art, this is jd300zxtt....Dennis is off playing down in Ft Myers,
Fla at the Gas Winternationals this week, I think...but, I can
answer your questions, if Dennis doesn't mind. He has modified
the original .12R SC a lot as he used to run these in his HPI
super nitro. Externally you can tell the difference by the use
of the MT12 head with separate button on the new EVO II
while the .12R SC had a smaller round head with a fixed
combustion chamber/button on the bottom. Internally, the
EVO II is virtually identical to the new RS12/RB12 engines in
that it uses the same piston/sleeve (rotated 90 degrees for
side porting), con rod, and crankshaft, while the original .12R
SC had the same crankshaft but the sleeve had much smaller
ports and timing. Hope this answers your questions....
Thanks Mr. John Dansby! I will check out the engine now and find out which version it is. By the way, I heard you were going to be at DELTA last Sunday but you weren't there. Did you race at CASTLE instead?
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:33 AM   #260
Tech Regular
 
adelmundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Posts: 266
Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo
Default

Dansby - Can you convert the EVO I to an EVO II engine? Since it uses the same crankshaft, I would just need the EVO II piston sleeve and conrod and use the new head and button?
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:34 AM   #261
Tech Regular
 
adelmundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Posts: 266
Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by adelmundo
Dansby - Can you convert the EVO I to an EVO II engine? Since it uses the same crankshaft, I would just need the EVO II piston sleeve and conrod and use the new head and button?
I was looking at my engine and from the looks of it it has a round head (not the shape of the MT12 head) but the button is not fixed in that it comes off. So I am still unsure if it's EVO I or II.
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 10:39 AM   #262
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: sunnyvale, ca
Posts: 56
Default

Art: I goofed...I just went over and pushed out the button on
the old HPI .12R SC engine that I have sitting on my work bench and it dropped out from the head...d'oh! So you do
have the original .12R SC engine. Yes, you can install a piston/
sleeve from a MT12/RB12 but you either have to move the
alignment pin in the crankcase or dremel a new alignment
slot 180 degrees (opposite side) to the old one...remember that
the sleeve alignment pin is located on the boost port side instead
of on the exhaust port side of the MT12/RB12 engines.... As for
the con rod...I think it is the "new" short rod used in the RB12/
RS12 series of engines, so stick with the longer rod as used in
the MT12/HPI .12R SC EVO 1 engines, as Dennis and I have found
that this seems to give more bottom end response due to a smaller rod angle at 90 degrees of crank angle before and after
TDC.

Have fun and good luck!
jd300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 02:56 PM   #263
Tech Regular
 
got_speed?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 327
Default

Is this how you BREAK-IN an engine??

got_speed? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 07:29 PM   #264
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pomona
Posts: 25
Default Standard Head into a Turbo MT12

Motorman, can you use a standard mt12 button head into a turbo MT 12?
What are the ramifications?
Thanks
BongR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 08:28 PM   #265
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: sunnyvale, ca
Posts: 56
Default Re: Standard Head into a Turbo MT12

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BongR
[B]Motorman, can you use a standard mt12 button head into a turbo MT 12?

BongR: Dennis is sort of on vacation at the Gas Winter Nats
in Ft. Myers...(I need to bug him about getting a laptop so he
can stay in touch!). Anyway, to answer your question: yes,
you can swap out the MT12 Turbo button for a standard MT12
button... you can use the same 0.3 mm aluminum head shim
from the turbo. Ironically, the only things different between
the turbo and standard MT12 are the ROAR legal cut or flute
on the counterweight at the rear of the crankshaft and the
turbo button/turbo plug (C5Tc)... In case anyone at a ROAR
sanctioned race contests the "turbo" crank...point out that the
cut is on the counterweight and not into the aspiration hole.
jd300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 08:58 PM   #266
Tech Regular
 
carpet_killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: k town,tn.
Posts: 260
Default mt12 piston sleeve / rb piston sleeve

so what your saying is that i can get the 5 port piston sleeve from the rb x12t 5 port and put the rb 5 port sleeve in my x12 turbo but i would have to cut a pin alignment on the boost side . right?
carpet_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:16 PM   #267
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: sunnyvale, ca
Posts: 56
Default Re: mt12 piston sleeve / rb piston sleeve

[QUOTE]Originally posted by carpet_killa
[B]so what your saying is that i can get the 5 port piston sleeve from the rb x12t 5 port and put the rb 5 port sleeve in my x12 turbo but i would have to cut a pin alignment on the boost side . right?

Carpet_killa: I just happen to be modifying a couple of RB 5 port
X12Ts at this time....to answer your question: the RBX12 5 port
piston/sleeve is a perfect fit into the MT12 Turbo...no alignment
pin mod needed. The alignment pin location is different on the
SIDE PORT crankcases and in the specific case of the HPI .12R
SC (EVO 1 or original HPI Nova Rossi side port engine), the
alignment slot on the sleeve is in a different location than with
the MT12/RB12/RS12 rear port family of Nova Rossi/RB engines.
IMO, don't waste your time changing the MT12 turbo 3 port
piston/sleeve for the RB 5 port piston/sleeve...as all that
RB did is split the two transfer ports in half with a divider in
both= 4 transfer ports.... If you dremel out the dividers, you
have a RB X12 Turbo 3 port. I have tested the RB X12 Turbo
5 port in stock form and I find that it is softer on the bottom
end, but does pull a bit more on the top end on a big track.
Combine this with the shorter con rod found in the RBs and
RS12s, it makes the motor less than a stellar performer in
stock form. Ask Dennis what he thinks about this motor...
he and I had quite a long discussion over the phone about
what we were going to do when Mugen and Nova Rossi
phase out the MT12....
jd300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 10:00 PM   #268
Tech Regular
 
carpet_killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: k town,tn.
Posts: 260
Default RE:

so just leave my mt12 turbo as is ? what about opening up the carb port? or any other extras i can do? thanks

P.S. : what is your favorite engine out there that is a top notch .12 engine?
carpet_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 10:34 PM   #269
Tech Rookie
 
raysinfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6
Default

OK, I got a question that someone might help clear up. I just recieved the Yokomo/Picco YP-12RRT Type B and I'm curious if the crankshaft #3218 is the newer version or not. Or, if the older and newer crank used the same part number? Sorry to bug you guys about a simple thing like this, I'm still looking into digital calipers...
raysinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 03:02 AM   #270
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: sunnyvale, ca
Posts: 56
Default Re: RE:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by carpet_killa
[B]so just leave my mt12 turbo as is ? what about opening up the carb port? or any other extras i can do? thanks

carpet_killa: if you are running on small to medium tracks...the
MT12 Turbo with 40% nitro, stock .3 mm head shim, stock turbo
plug and the pipe and header that I emailed you about will work
extremely well...in fact, a sponsored friend of mine finished 3rd
behind Barry Baker and Mike Swauger at a local annual race with
150 entries....I saw his car run and it was indeed fast...was it as
fast as Dennis Richey's RTUs....no, was it as fast as my modified
MT12s...no, but it was definitely one of the fastest stock engines
that I have ever seen run...(he ran my pipe and header mods,
BTW)....or, if your engine is still new and not broken in...send it
to Dennis and have the RTU mods done to it....your choice.
jd300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cam modified motors (3) crazymechmow R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 01-15-2006 02:50 PM
FS: Modified motors (7T, 9T) WeatherB R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 09-21-2005 06:56 AM
FS: 3 Richey / Collari modified motors ChrisF R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 12-13-2003 06:03 PM
FS: Richey Modified motors ChrisF R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 08-28-2003 10:22 AM
dennis richey motors for sale dg8one R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 12-10-2002 06:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:23 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net