R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-01-2003, 10:01 PM   #1516

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
Kevin you have mail.
This is a recent common occurance. After you read my PM you will understand what I believe is the issue. Brad and I are struggling with this to as of late. I barbecued a new engine last race. We have a handle on it I believe we just need the right parts.

The serios run pretty good for the price however I hear many guys are using novarossi carbs on them.
Hi Dennis, Since I can't seem to get any replies to you on engines anymore I have went to Matt at Smeltz. I switched to sirrios and they seem to have better mid range then your MT's, be it the RTO or RTU's. It maybe the short rod versus the long rod I dunno? The sirrio's are the first short rod engines I have ever used.
My question, do you know why people use nova carbs on the sirros? I have no problem with the sirrio carbs. Do they help top end? That's where the sirrio seems to lack and your MT's take over! I feel the the sirrio top end trouble is do to the short rod. As far as pricing goes I pay the same for sirrio and mt's $140. Any comments?

Last edited by bbntc3; 07-01-2003 at 10:06 PM.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:15 PM   #1517

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Quote:
Originally posted by kevink2
777: I thought the Sirio's needed to be run cooler because the AAC is more easily distorted from excess heat.
I have 2 sirrios 1 stock and one modified with almost 1 gallon of 30% fuel,8% Klotz syn oil ran through them. They have more compression then my MT's did with the same amount of fuel ran through them. My main complaint is the the piston seems to get stuck at TDC if you shut the engine off and leave it at TDC. I have no heating issues and no scuffing or scoring problems. Is this due to AAC configuration?
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:29 PM   #1518
Tech Fanatic

The reason I replaced mine was leaking. I tried seal it where I found was leaking, but it leak somewhere else. Then a guy told me he replaced with Nova, straight fit.
Why try to fix it when you can replace it!

Since we will have a Sirio Cup 2 weeks, I started to reuse it for racing. but I can't get the torque ( different to what people have found from sirio) instead of Top speed to match the latest Nova. I just changed to AAC sleeve.
kitracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:32 PM   #1519
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3
I have 2 sirrios 1 stock and one modified with almost 1 gallon of 30% fuel,8% Klotz syn oil ran through them. They have more compression then my MT's did with the same amount of fuel ran through them. My main complaint is the the piston seems to get stuck at TDC if you shut the engine off and leave it at TDC. I have no heating issues and no scuffing or scoring problems. Is this due to AAC configuration?
Thank you very much for your respond-it is very intersting info. Any way I recomend you never leave piston in TDC a specially when the engine is hot. Most likely it is related to the material set ups and to the geometry of the piston Usualy on AAC it is done this way (At list we did it in boating). Why is it bothering you? It can be pretty easy fix without loosing performance( even can gain some).
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:36 PM   #1520
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kitracer
The reason I replaced mine was leaking. I tried seal it where I found was leaking, but it leak somewhere else. Then a guy told me he replaced with Nova, straight fit.
Why try to fix it when you can replace it!

Since we will have a Sirio Cup 2 weeks, I started to reuse it for racing. but I can't get the torque ( different to what people have found from sirio) instead of Top speed to match the latest Nova. I just changed to AAC sleeve.
Where it was leaking? Can you describe, may be it can be fixed-if from front bearing it is easy!
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:46 PM   #1521
Tech Fanatic

On the carb.

First it was between the carb and engine. Sealed it, then it was on the idle..

no more problem after using Nova carb. Some people suggested I was running at too hot before, but nothing wrong with the engine after using Nova carb
kitracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:52 PM   #1522
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by kitracer
On the carb.

First it was between the carb and engine. Sealed it, then it was on the idle..

no more problem after using Nova carb. Some people suggested I was running at too hot before, but nothing wrong with the engine after using Nova carb
typical problem found on composite carb.

I ditched the sirio carb right from the box and have been using a novarossi carb right fromt he first start up of the engine. so far so good.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:07 PM   #1523
Tech Rookie

Default Sirio Carb

I've got a sirio outlaw 12, and i've got carb issues, specifically the idle adjustment. When i increase the idle to where it needs to be, it interfers with the movement of the slide and gets real stiff and sticky. when I back it off (lower the idle speed) the slide works fine. I work around the low idle setting by using the radio trim control, unfortunately the motor often dies when i hit the brakes... Any thoughts ??

Other than the idle setting the motor is great and runs amazingly cool.
Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:24 PM   #1524
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3
I feel the the sirrio top end trouble is do to the short rod.
I don't think so... Short rod engines are suppose to be better at the top end.

Anyway, I actually physically measured the Sirio conrod. Their lenghts are actually the same as the Collari engines (Picco based). The only difference was the bushing hole was bigger. I would think that since Dennis once categorised the Collari as a mid rod engine, the Sirio should also fall into the same category. Neither short nor long
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:34 PM   #1525
Tech Champion

I wonder how people could tell the performance of an engine by only MEASURING the conrod?

Old 07-01-2003, 11:57 PM   #1526
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
I wonder how people could tell the performance of an engine by only MEASURING the conrod?

Who says length doesn't matter?
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 12:00 AM   #1527
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
Who says length doesn't matter?

what length you are talking about fish? worm or what?
Old 07-02-2003, 12:03 AM   #1528
Tech Master

Quote:

what length you are talking about fish? worm or what?
I meant the length of the conrod, not the fish Jr.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:05 AM   #1529
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
I meant the length of the conrod, not the fish Jr.
fish jr!!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:11 AM   #1530
Tech Master

Quote:
fish jr!!!!
And, it's a LONG rod, not MID rod, ok?