R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-19-2003, 06:01 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Car Discussion: Which One Is The Best ?

My friend wanted to upgrade his V1S to a pro kit. He's having a nightmare; which one to buy? Which one performs better? What engine to use with the new kit? Which one will it be; V1RR, Serpent 705, TA Nitro TC3, Mugen MX3 or Trinity Reflex NT Team Only kit?

I myself was interested to know more, and to discuss this with more experienced driver outside there. Let me know your opinion on the pros and cons of these kits.

darthkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:47 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

V1RR comes everything the Mugens, Serpents have and MORE!
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Guys, ya gotta understand. All the pro cars are competive enough to win a race. Whether it be V1R/RR, Trinity Reflex, Serpent 705, Mugen MTX-3, AE NTC3, whatever, they are all capable of winning. With that all said, I love my V1R and Kyosho quality.

SeattleRCRacers.com - come race with us!
skibum989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Default pros and cons of these kits.

darthkir;

I would say that the intended usage would dictate what car you would choose. For large permanent racetracks, the Mugen MTX3, Serpent 705 or the V1RR are probably close to being equal.
I own a Trinity Reflex NT (standard version) and for me it works better on the parking lot type tracks.
The TC3 has some issues with keeping the diffs adjusted properly and can be frustrating for some people (2nd hand info). I would basically recommend what sparks your/his interest and what has decent parts support.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:00 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Yeah, I agree.

The thing is that different racer here will say different things about cars. Some support different brands. Based on technical specs alone; some car like the Yokomo and Reflex NT Team Only introduced better kits with more aluminium parts and hardened plastics than others. These features make decision much worse. I am not even talking about engines selection yet.

Which car has won most competitions, which car handles better. Lets ponder upon this
Old 01-20-2003, 03:01 AM   #6
Tech Regular

The Associated NTC3 and Trinity Reflex with strong factory teams. I believe the NTC3 has taking most of the major victories this year. Kyosho doesn't have a factory team, they should IMHO, even though they have a very strong car. Mugen Seiki has a factory team but I haven't heard if it includes the MTX-3. I have friends that do race that car and they like it very much.
By the way when the Reflex came out it was touted as race ready out of the box, but yet the Team Only version is closer to the spec of the car the factory drivers race with?
vulso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 05:59 AM   #7
Tech Adept

i agree when said that all the above mentioned cars and capable of winning, but when it comes to how good the car looks without the body shell on i would say the MTX3 and the car you guys forgot to mention...YOKOMO GT4 are the best lookers....
Gravedigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I like Kyosho v1r because of the durability, strength, and it;s easy to drive fast out of the box.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:46 AM   #9
Tech Regular

DUDE! I forgot my own car! I own a YOKOMO GT-4R!

Thanks, Gravedigger!
vulso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

my vote is for mtx-3

comes with graphite deck and shock towers a centax 2 shoe 2 speed really low cg and one-way

and if you get kit with engine you get a great engine with almost free pipe and header

i built my kit according to the instructions and using the kit setup was faster than ive ever been before almost took first place in my first race with it

only problem is it need the universals in the front other than that it has been perfect
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:16 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Wow! This is great. Now let's get more specific. Can we list down some pros and cons of these kits? Plus, which manufacturer has won the most competitions, and with which kit?

Old 01-20-2003, 07:43 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

having an Impulse(for 3 years),3 racer2's(HPI';s),a reflex(since last year) and 2 tc3 nitros I like them all(well,maybe I like the oro cars more than my HPIs,and includes my RB SS)...

bit the one I enjoy the most?.......MY 2 rb turbo tc3's......Id rather drive those cars than my veteq,Kanai,gt's,xxx kinwald,hpi rally or any of my other 35 operating cars....WHY?.....

one,its easy to maintain(and tune).....I can change diffs to solid to one way in no time flat......NO ride hgt/camber change geomtry problems like the Impulse...NO belts at all....

two,this has to be the best balanced car I've ever driven....the other cars,when they feel like they're out of control,stay stable(well,NOT the hpis').......but thats my point..the tc3's never feel like they are out of control.....they always end up straight....and are wailin' down the straight........plus,they FLY through corners.....

do some guys have problems with teh car?...yep...but just as many have problems with ANY pro car.........

all in all,I have to say,this car just runs great...and FYI.....we run on a 125 x 100 ft track.....we have 10 people running them,ALL with 5 port rb turbos.........every tues nite,for 5 months in a row.....NO blown diffs,no blown gears,2 gas tanks cracked,and a couple shock tower's loose.....Considering the other guys are running 5 port RB Impulse's(REAL TANKS),and reflexes,and we all got hit HARD..thats not bad..esp when you consider thet replaced more belts tha we repaced gears,diffs,and towers combined..and then some....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:53 PM   #13
Tech Adept

How do you compare the TC3 to V One RR and MTX 3? Stability, price-to-performance ratio and durability?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:28 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

so far serpent has probably won the most titles due to its longevity

and now team associated has won worlds with ntc3

their race teams are by far the largest in touring cars

i had a ntc3 a while ago and came to realize it wasnt the car for me so i got rid of it

serpent 705 looked like a nice car but i chose the mugen because my previous experience with them was good and the mtx-3 is the best car ive got from them yet
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:00 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Default My own opinion (Mugen MTX3 vs. Associated NTC3)

I have actually these two cars (MTX3 and NTC3) so I can tell you my opinion about those two cars, but firstly you make to do yourself some questions and ask them with sincerity:

1. Where your brother want to run this car? Permanent tracks, parking lot, street bashing?
- If parking lot or street bashing is your favourite surface, NTC3 has the advantage of sealed transmission vs. belts that can collect debris and little stones, if a permanent track is used, all of two have the same posibilities.
2. How experienced is your brother? Know about setup a car?
- If your brother has little knowledge of how to setup a car, Mugen should be a nightmare, don't come with comments of how to adjust it, in this case the NTC3 is the kit for your brother. Don't get me wrong, NTC3 when adjusted is capable of going as quick and handle like MTX3, but for a newbie is more accesible. MTX3 is a pure breed car who likes a steady hand adjusting it and driving it.
3. What kind of tyres you plan to use with the car?
- If planning to use plain rubbers, NTC3 is your car, comes with dual ball differentials, but with a quick switch to a front one way, you have a killer foam machine, just the opposite to MTX3, comes with a gear diff and front one-way and their suspension geometries are made for running with foams.
4. What quantity of maintenance is planned for this car?
- Proper maintenance is vital for all two cars, but here, with their closed transmission gets a plus, and maybe with a slight dust blow after runnign the car gets ready for the next session, here the MTX3 needs more attention to their belts and exposed BB's.
5. Last but not least.... At your local LHS, what cars are available?
- You can have a killer car, quickest, the one that better handles, but if on your local LHS don't have spare parts and you're on a rush for a spare part, you're dead. Check what cars have good service from your LHS and decide for yourself.

Now my opinion about these two: All two are very good cars, but need a steady hand to drive them quickly, seemed that the NTC3 is more gentle with newbie people and is more easy to drive fast from the start with it.

Got my car and used, abused and raced it, I went changing pieces as they broke, worn or seemed me that I needed (very few, but some), now I have a full equip NTC3 loaded with optional parts EXCEPT graphite conversion. It's a big no-no buying those parts (almost all who whine about NTC3 weakeness go with graphite parts). If you want to whine about weakness, buy this conversion (AE: wake up and retire those damn part, is a poison for the car). Rest of car is a pleasure (well, maybe it's a little ugly, but who cares when you put a body over it?)

I won't be a liar and say to you that using my NTC3 was easy, it needed some tinkering to solve some bad manners that had the early kits (fuel tank basically, now solved with a new tank) and worked my car to adapt to my personal likings. Adjustment and adaptation to your desires is the unique option that none can bring you.

Usually drive the two cars, but now I'm using more my MTX (can be caused for the partial sponsorship that I got for running on nationals this season). Buy what you want, all two are great cars.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote