R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-21-2003, 10:20 AM   #16
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Its amazing how many of these "which one is best" threads that continue to pop up. Its amazing because the answer is always the same.

Theres a really easy way to look at this...

Before the Losi XXX-S came out, all the local fast guys ran TC3s. Once it came out, all the fast guys switched to it. Now, after the switch.....their still the fast guys!

same with nitro...

Before the NTC3 came out, all the fast guys ran MTX-2s. Once the NTC3 came out, all the fast guys switched to it. Now, after the switch......their still the fast guys! Now, some of them are switching to the MTX-3, and although we haven't started our outdoor season here yet, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that they'll still be the fast guys!

Now, if anyone missed the point, its that there is no "best car". I have yet to see anyone gain or lose significant speed because of a car switch. Barry Baker was winning with the Yok GT-4 before he left the team, and he went right into being fast with the NTC3.

So instead of worrying about whats the "best", take a look at all the cars and they're features...and they're price...and see what you like best. And no body can help you know what you like best.

I now own a ReflexNT because I liked the car, not because of who has won or lost with it. If I had an infinite bank account, I would own a NTC3, MTX-3, and Serpent 705. Because from what I can see, they all look like they can win.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:30 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
I now own a ReflexNT because I liked the car, not because of who has won or lost with it. If I had an infinite bank account, I would own a NTC3, MTX-3, and Serpent 705. Because from what I can see, they all look like they can win.
Basically all cars are capable of doing a 'spank the competition' session , it comes from the driver, not the car.

This is one of those threads that pop-up from time to time, but the answer is almost all the same. Buy the ones that carries your LHS (well, with some exceptions) and lots of practice and adjustment.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:50 AM   #18
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

"...doing a spank the competition session!"
Old 01-21-2003, 02:45 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Its amazing how many of these "which one is best" threads that continue to pop up. Its amazing because the answer is always the same.Theres a really easy way to look at this...

Before the Losi XXX-S came out, all the local fast guys ran TC3s. Once it came out, all the fast guys switched to it. Now, after the switch.....their still the fast guys!

same with nitro...

Before the NTC3 came out, all the fast guys ran MTX-2s. Once the NTC3 came out, all the fast guys switched to it. Now, after the switch......their still the fast guys! Now, some of them are switching to the MTX-3, and although we haven't started our outdoor season here yet, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that they'll still be the fast guys!

Now, if anyone missed the point, its that there is no "best car". I have yet to see anyone gain or lose significant speed because of a car switch. Barry Baker was winning with the Yok GT-4 before he left the team, and he went right into being fast with the NTC3.

So instead of worrying about whats the "best", take a look at all the cars and they're features...and they're price...and see what you like best. And no body can help you know what you like best.
AMEN MY FRIEND (well said)
Never Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:16 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
"...doing a spank the competition session!"
I'm pleased that you got my humor... basically it's true, think on this:

Barry baker on the most nasty, crappy car (let's say an H** or similar) and you with their car, and surely you end that heat two laps under (for saying something 'light').

People don't understand that knowing your car, how reacts and practice, practice, practice and when you're tired or practicing, put two hours more of practice (never enough) is the key for success on racing with a car.

Before thinking on getting into a race with my NTC3 I've spended about 3 gallons running with it and changing setups (please, pros setups are only for reference and see how they adjusted their car, don't put directly those setups on your car, is the most direct key for being frustrated, you aren't a pro).

Cheers,
Corse-R

CEO and main distributor of 'Spank the competition session'. Dealer inquiries welcome.
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:11 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Thanks for the opinion. Youre all correct, and I cannot agree more.

Based on your guys opinion, which kit is more durable and can stand more severe punishment? My friend and I have V1S and we race on track as well as parking lot. Lets focus on these kits since theyre the most widely available here:

V One RR
AE NTC3
MTX-3
Serpent 705
Reflex NT

darthkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:43 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

ive heard the v1rr owners say that it is really durable

i have the mtx-3 and its also very durable since owning it the weather hasnt been above 50F and ive only broken wheels on the track
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:36 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Darkseid - I would like to share some info. I for one and Erock, and BS- have never owned a TC3. We droove Xpress. Not saying that the TC3 is not a good car. I just like my Xpress. And even after driving the Losi. Still like my Xpress. In fact it may come out and play this weekend. Yes it will.

I like the NTC3 for the ease of maintaining and clean layout. And parts availability is not even close. And is not slow either.

You will need to get what ever car you like. They are all good. Just make sure you can get parts. Everything breaks.

Having fun is the key. Go fast and turn, if you have to.
2Fast4U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:27 PM   #24
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

I realize this a deep racing comparison between cars but how does HPI fit into any of this? Are they more the "non racer" company or are they just not on the money on what real racers are looking for in a car? I mean I keep hearing about the HPI RS4 type SS but when it comes to racers I dont ever hear it mentioned. Is it a bad car or just not up to "the standards"? Thanks for any answers you can give me.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:44 PM   #25
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

corvette I think it just depends on how serious you are. Most club racing where the racers are relatively casual - the HPI's are fine. When you starting getting into the guys that are trueing tires, spending hours on setup and practice, traveling to big races, the competition stiffens quite a bit and you're going to have to spend tons of money to make the hpi competitive. Even then you'll be behind the curve because if you're racing these guys with pro cars they've spent tons of money making their cars as good as possible too. If you're planning to race I'd say get a solid pro car to start with.

You can always bash with a race-capable car but you can't always race well with a basher car.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:48 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

i dont consider the hpi to be a car for competition i had a rs42 and it was fun to drive and helped me learn but when it came time to race i bought a mtx-2 then ntc3 and now mtx-3

i dont think any amount of time or money i could have sunk into my rs4 could make it as good as the others i had already spent a ton of money on stuff and it still wasnt near my mtx-2

they are good cars for novice class racing

i know a couple of guys who have them just so they can compete in the hpi challege but they race other cars when its time for other races
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 04:11 PM   #27
Tech Master

Thanks for the help
Old 01-25-2003, 02:43 AM   #28
Tech Regular

I think that all these cars are good in the right hands and what it all boils down to is the driver and dont forget who prepped his engine but th driver covers a larger part of it. the man that can change set up to match conditions the fastest. but then it all ways helps to have a killer power plant
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:32 AM   #29
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

I agree nova, driver is important.

But I also think people tend to under-rate how much easier it is to drive a well handling car. Setup is key with all of them, and I've had RS4's too.

Josh Cyrul would smoke me and my Mtx-3 with an RS4. But on a club level there isn't often such huge difference between driver skills.

That's when it becomes apparent that a poor track car like the RS4 is a handicap that makes the driver look worse than he/she really is compared to the other guys.

If you race - get a race oriented car. And then practice.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:02 AM   #30
Tech Master

Cool

So what I am getting out of all of this: the RS4 even the type SS is an excelent handleing fairly easy to tune car for someone who is intojust racing around their street and maybe a few low level parking lot races. But if someoone were going to compete they should get a real "race" car.