Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-19-2003, 05:40 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default More info on the AG Piston/Sleeve

http://www.khbracing.com/AG_Piston_Sleeve.htm

http://www.khbracing.com/AG_Piston_Tech.htm

If it does what they say it does.
OOOHHHHHmy!

Last edited by FASTERTHENU; 01-22-2003 at 08:34 PM.
FASTERTHENU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Believe me, it sounds like one giant stinking load of caca. A magic piston + sleeve that runs great at 300+ degrees?

SeattleRCRacers.com - come race with us!
skibum989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:28 PM   #3
Tech Adept

The technology is sound, It just depends if they did it right. I am very intersted in trying it out. To bad I only own nova based motors. I like the idea. I get goose bumps when I think how much my motor would rev with a light weight AG piston. It would be even better if they had AG connecting rods. I think it's still to new to tell but if owned any os motors I would buy one to try. The only downfall is the price tag. $160 ouch.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:32 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Well I have heard the price is going to be somewhere between $99.00 to $120.00 but if the engine life last half as long as their claiming it does thats still worth it .
Compared to 5 or 6 a,b,c P/S at $50 a pop?
Old 01-22-2003, 11:46 PM   #5
Tech Adept

It says 160 on their web site under the product section.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:38 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Wolf

Good to hear that there is a new piston and sleeve which can withstand higher temperature than the ABC one. The best part is it claims to have extreme long live too. Anyone have try this? How about other parts of the engine like the conrod or bearings. Will other parts survive under these high temperature? It sounds like a magic, espically it is from a not so familar brand name.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:25 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Total engine life.

My feeling on replacing piston and sleeves is that the bearings are probably nearing the end of their useful life at that time too. If you add the cost of bearings to the piston and sleeve, Why not just buy a new Engine?
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
Tech Master

Thats a fair point Popsracer. But if you run heavily modded engines would you not rather change the piston/sleeve and bearings than having to start modifying a completely new engine.

I know I would rather just modify a piston/liner than having to do a case and shaft each time also.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:28 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Default Re: Total engine life.

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
My feeling on replacing piston and sleeves is that the bearings are probably nearing the end of their useful life at that time too. If you add the cost of bearings to the piston and sleeve, Why not just buy a new Engine?
You will find that any quality engines bottom end will outlast a piston/sleeve, mayby 2. I have replaces piston/sleeves before and found that the motor is as fast as ever. I have a RB with around 26-28 litres of fuel through it and the bearings and crank still feel fine.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 08:01 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

the sale price is $129.00,And I'm willing to bet its one of those never ending sales. and the bottom end if oiled and cleaned should last alot longer then the P/S does.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:20 AM   #11

Default Re: Re: Total engine life.

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
You will find that any quality engines bottom end will outlast a piston/sleeve, mayby 2. I have replaces piston/sleeves before and found that the motor is as fast as ever. I have a RB with around 26-28 litres of fuel through it and the bearings and crank still feel fine.
Exactly. It all depends on the tolerances of the engine you have. If you get a favorable one, it can last a long, long time with proper maintenance. Bearings and the conrod/crank pin is the most important thing to keep an eye on. If you can bump over TDC ~20 times w/o losing compression it's good. I have an RB going on its third season on the same P/S.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:51 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
It all depends on the tolerances of the engine you have. If you get a favorable one, it can last a long, long time
When I was short on $$, I bought an Ofna Colt .12PS for $59 new. Didn't even get 1 gallon through the motor before it quit running. The Piston and Sleeve still looked brand new inside, but the compression was gone.
I've heard the same about the Duratrax replacement piston & sleeves for the O.S. CV's.

My Picco .15 is going on 2 years (next month) and is still running strong. This is an engine that gets raced 3-4 weekends a month running 30% MH fuel, normal tuning temperature is 260F.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:20 PM   #13
Tech Adept

How is the picco engine, as far as tuning is concerned. I never had one but have mt12 and rb x12 and are fairly straight forward tuning them.

I just heard that picco is hard(er) to tune. If you have or had the mt12 or rb, can you comment.
dg2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:10 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

even though its not quite the same as the engine your talking about i have an ofna picco 0-1 comp .21 engine in my mbx4xr and it was easy for me to tune

the low speed factory setting was like 11 turns out when it was tuned in i had gone all the way to 5 1/2

the high end was only 1 3/4 and fine needle adjustments are needed

but really easy as long as tuning is something you understand
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:02 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Has anybody heard of Hardcore Racing Products and do they have a racing team?