Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Doh ' Dow

http://news.dow.com/dow_news/prodbus/2006/20060118a.htm
Emtypunzo's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Tech Regular

what a stupid organazation one organazatio will not stand a chance against all the rc racers not to mention all of the import racers and muscle car guys that use nitrous for that big boost of power what a bunch of retards no more nitro what a joke
Old 07-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
Tech Adept

most of the drag cars have VP sponsership. i doubt the flow of nitro will stop

in any case, new nitro will be sourced and if its good enough for $100,000 drag cars, i'm sure it'll be good enough for you $300 engine

also just saw the article date "18 January" so why are the drag cars still using VP nitro? why is there still supply of VP nitro for our RC cars today?

Last edited by Berkky; 07-11-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Berkky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Yeah well the real question is where is VP really getting their nitro from ?

I mean Angus aint giving it to them ..
Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

i just got this email from a friend in the US , he sent me the original article .

The Chinese nitro is still being made in China at a specially constructed plant. It is imported to the US by Wego Chemical Company in NY. It is made by a different process than the Angus (now Dow Chemical as of 2 or 3 years ago) nitro. A test was done on the three nitro products that were available in 1996 and they found the Chinese nitro to be more pure than the Angus nitro, and much more pure than the product that VP was selling at the time. Those results may not hold up now, but they were accurate at the time the products were tested.

Nitro has become THE topic of discussion on the Internet and amongst the teams in NHRA. The cost of the exotic fuel has been 600-650 US dollars for the past few years. This past fall VP fuels (the official fuel supplier to the NHRA) announced they they had the exclusive to Angus nitro and Wego nitro (both were the suppliers to Fuel retailers Sunoco and VP). Sunoco could not buy the product from either. Was the formation of this partnership was announced the price went up 50 % to 900.00 per barrel. An increase that could ambient to 60-100k for the larger teams in the NHRA. Because of this increase a couple teams with Asian contacts brought in a Chinese brand of Nitro that proved to be every bit as good a product as the stuff Angus and VP sold. To top this off, VP just signed with the NHRA as the official fuel supplier to the POWERade series. This is certainly not going to set well with the teams as witnessed on various message boards. Don Schumacher is quoted as saying when one thread about this controversy was pulled from a pro NHRA message board, " I wonder if someone from NHRA was unhappy with this thread"? Will the price stay high or will other suppliers such as Sunoco (who were left out in the cold on this deal) be allowed to supply teams with other off brand nitro? This is a topic that will be discussed at length.

To some nitro teams, this might be the worst Friday the 13th ever. The NHRA issued word that only nitromethane from an NHRA accepted supplier may be brought on site or used on site at any NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series event. What this amounts to, is unless the NHRA approves the Chinese alternative brought in by one of the teams testing in Las Vegas, it will be illegal for use in competition. Any team caught using nitro outside of the two current sources of Angus and Wego will be banned from competition.

The NHRA cited security, safety, long term availability of both a domestically produced and imported supply of nitromethane, and contend this move is in the best interests of the sport. As of February 12, 2004, the accepted suppliers are now DOW/Angus and Wego. Both fuels are exclusively distributed by VP Racing Fuels.

The debate over nitro came to a boil in December when VP Race Fuels brokered a contract to not only become the exclusive distributor of Angus, but also Chinese-produced Wego. Wego had been previously branded by Sunoco Race Fuels. Officials from Sunoco reported they were never given the opportunity to bid for the contract.

Following the new Wego and VP Race Fuels alliance, the price of a drum of nitro increased from $650 to $900.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtypunzo's Mum
I mean Angus aint giving it to them ..
and how would u know?

so drag cars here just like putting angus sponsership logos just for fun? VP is ANgus, Angus is VP.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

So what you are saying is that the Dow chemichal press release on their site is a lie ?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Tech Adept

so what are you saying the vp nitro i have been buying which has been the same quality for the last 3 years is not vp nitro?

the logos of the drag cars are just there for fun and they are running on water?

basically how would you know what deals and contracts the australian distributor of vp fuels have? yeah no idea eh....

if it is fake "dow" nitro we have been gettin all this time, then by all means keep it coming, coz its great quality....
Old 07-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #9

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

Anyone else smart enough to realize that dow website was dated back in January?
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpilone
Anyone else smart enough to realize that dow website was dated back in January?

lol Go the big lebowski !

in answer to Brekky i cant tell you what they are doing im just reading their articles, i guess as the article states VP distribute several nitros so maybe they have just stopped supplying them with one of them .. Whatever they are doing the nitro they supply has always been good so i cant see any problems i just thought it would be important for us to know seeing we are all affected by it .

Last edited by Emtypunzo's Mum; 07-11-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds like marketing strategy to monopolise the nitro market to me.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Hey I found a VP Racing sticker in my garage , im gonna put it on my datto 1600 so that will mean i have sponsorship rite ? lol