R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   anyone experiment with diff oils in RS4 diffs? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/121063-anyone-experiment-diff-oils-rs4-diffs.html)

apollo 07-10-2006 10:48 AM

anyone experiment with diff oils in RS4 diffs?

i have a sorta simple question for some of you guys...

i keep getting tired of having to regrease the diffs in my RS4 so i ordered some traxxas 60k diff lube, i took apart my diffs and loaded this in, and made sure the diffs were seale so it wouldnt leak, then i went to drive it and it seems to be causing alot of drag

so my question is has anyone experiments with these diff oils in an RS4 or is it a complete waste of time, would maybe 30k be good enough or do i just need to drain some fo my 60k out?
thanks

-Sean

Rapid Roy 07-10-2006 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by apollo
i have a sorta simple question for some of you guys...

i keep getting tired of having to regrease the diffs in my RS4 so i ordered some traxxas 60k diff lube, i took apart my diffs and loaded this in, and made sure the diffs were seale so it wouldnt leak, then i went to drive it and it seems to be causing alot of drag

so my question is has anyone experiments with these diff oils in an RS4 or is it a complete waste of time, would maybe 30k be good enough or do i just need to drain some fo my 60k out?
thanks

-Sean

Yes this can help a lot. I'm not really sure what you mean about creating a lot of drag when you went to dirve your car. Maybe you made the diffs bind up the way you sealed them up. Using diff oils don't add any additional drag to the drive train when you are going in a straight line. It helps cornering because it keeps the inner wheel from spinning when you get on the power in a turn. You should always run heavier oil in the front diff. I used to run 500,000 in the front and 100,000 in the rear on my Racer2. That setup almost locked up the front. It only worked on higher grip tracks too. For dusty parking lot, I used a rear diff with 30,000 or just plain grease.

HPI's gear diffs shouldn't really need constant regreasing. They are pretty bullet proof unless you are running somthing crazy for a motor.

BB Mods's 07-10-2006 11:22 AM

I use white lithium in my diff's with no problem's at all...and i dont lose what i have in the diff's eather..and my engine is pushing close to 2hp only thing i eat up is fuel :)

apollo 07-10-2006 11:30 AM

well you knwo the center of the diff that has the large gear screwed to it (i forgot the name of this) well i loaded the inside of that with the 60k AE diff oil, and i took that out and its kinda hard to turn, and also on the bearings that the main drive cup goes into, the grease seems to have those bearings sorta dragging, i guess that grease isnt too good for them, and i had to keep regreasing t hem because the traxxas normal grease that i was using would magically go away

and when i say drag, i know this because it took the engine alot longer to switch to 2nd gear and it seemed like something was holding it back, and all i did to seal them up was clean the contact edges and put a very thin bead of RTV silicone just to seal it up to avoid the grease from leaking out

Rapid Roy 07-10-2006 01:07 PM

Its probably the grease in the bearings then. The oil inside of the diffs only affect the diff action. When you lift your car up and turn one wheel, and the other side turns the other way, thats diff action. When you use the heavy oils in the diff, turning one wheel makes the opposide side turns the same direction. If your car is having problems accelerating, its not your diffs, its something else thats causing the drag.

apollo 07-10-2006 01:26 PM

well half of it was the surfaces under the gears getting oil in them and causing drag if you know what i mean, flat surface to flat surface with that oil caused drag, and i ordered some boca bearings a little while ago but somehow forgot to get some new bearings for it, i go the 2 main bearings coming out of each side but not the ones that support hte maind drive cup, im cleaning them out as we speak and just plan on putting some traxxas grease in its place

Rapid Roy 07-11-2006 10:06 PM

Are you putting the oil in the transfer case or the diff? If the oil is inside the diff, there won't be any added drag on rolling resistance of the drive train. It almost sounds like you have the oil in the transfer case where the drive shaft gear meshes with the outer gear ring on the outside of the diff. If this is where you are putting the oil, then its in the wrong place.

Rapid Roy 07-11-2006 10:14 PM

Here is a picture.

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/n3ss/kn3_12.jpg

The oil should go inside of part A431a