R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-15-2003, 04:15 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default i hate understeer

my friend and i have been setting up cones and racing finally. it's a lot more fun than just beating the crap out of the cars all day. we both have nrs4-3s. i have been braking and accerating only in straight areas with no throttle or brake in the turns. my car will not turn unless it is going very slow and it's really annoying me. it just understeers until its slowed down enough and by that time it has passed the spot where i wanted to turn. maybe this is the limit of my car right now or maybe im doing something wrong. either way, does anyone have any imput on some of the first things to do in order to get quick, snappy turns? i have the stock springs up front and mediums (hpi greens) in the rear. i am running pretty hard rubber tires and inserts on a tennis court surface. is softer tires all i can do?
wahturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:26 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

Your friend sounds like a pretty smart fellow.
GabbaGabbaHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:49 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

yeah. im sure everyone thanks you for your reply, schubert. if anyone has any REAL answers feel free to reply.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:53 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not that familiar with what adjustments
the rtr3 has but you could go with a softer
front spring or just lay the front shock position
if you can't get new springs.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:55 PM   #5
Tech Elite

There is LOTS you can do. Read this to understand the basics:

http://www.hpiracing.com/tuning/intro.htm

Then come back and ask away.............
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:08 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

thanks a lot. ill read.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default i hate understeer

wahturi;

AMGRacer is heading you in the right direction. Practicing on a DIY track is a great way to get your car sorted out.
Be aware that TIRES are the most important ingredient to a cars handling. If you are running a hard compound tire, then there may be nothing you can do to stop the understeer. Try a Red (#6835) Front and Yellow (#6834) Rear spring combo or a Yellow/Yellow. This should help but you still may need better tires.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:45 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

thanks pops. would that be a generally good combo even if i maybe changed to some softer x-patterns? or is the red\yellow really only good with hard tires? i read most of that site. it seems like the first thing to worry about is definatly tires, followed by springs and shocks. i have been going for hard tires so far so that i could keep them longer. but what fun is haveing a slow cornering car jsut so i can save a little money? ill get some softer stuff.

since this is steering\traction related, i won't start a new post: my car used to spin in circles if i let it sit there, turned the wheel the whole way, and gave full throttle. it would do it in both directions the same way. now (after some pretty bad wrecks) it will only do it when i turn the wheels one way. if i try it the other way, it just goes.. no spin. im not concerned with doing donuts, but the fact that my car is not acting symetrical deeply bothers me. any ideas what could be wrong?
Old 01-16-2003, 03:44 PM   #9
Tech Adept

well, with any hpi car, the settings vary everytime the car drives, one day you could have 2 degrees toe in, on both tires but because hpi cars are not ment for anything but the shelf, the 2 degrees of toe may have changed from 2 to 4.......this is just an example, and can be applied to any of the settings on your car
Nytrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:45 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Default Unequal turns

Wahturi;

What is happening is one tire is putting more pressure on the ground than the other.
Simple check, make sure the Shocks have the EXACT same Spring preload clips from right to left. One may have popped out during a crash.
Next put a metal straight edge (ruler, square, etc) on the bottom of your chassis and see if you can tell if it's bent from the crashes. A really bad high speed crash can bend the chassis.
If everything looks OK, then the next thing to check is your shock lengths. If you can get your hands on a dial caliper, measure each pair and they should be within a few thousands of each other. Next would be to look for a bent/tweeked shock tower, probably in the rear. Also as you increase power to the chassis, all of this becomes even more important.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:20 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

the chassis got bent in a crash a while ago and i took everything off it and pounded it as flat as i could. that's probabally what it is. im sure it isn't perfectly straight. i guess ill just have to buy a new one sometime. it's good i started with a hpi because i can beat it up while learning. then when i know how drive.. i get a really good car. im dreaming of ntc3s lately.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:28 AM   #12
Tech Adept

no no no-------lately youve been dreaming about an mtx-3 haha i have one and it brings tears of joy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jono1.jpg (54.9 KB, 95 views)
Nytrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:58 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Default HPI vs NTC3

Wahturi;

The NTC3 is no doubt a very competitive car and I have many friends that have bought over the past 12 months, HOWEVER about 1/2 of them are going back to their old Cars as they find that keeping the diffs set properly can be difficult if not impossible at times and the diffs drasticly effect the handling of the car.
It would be a good idea to get some more opinions. As for the belt driven Cars, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
BTW, a new Stock chassis for you Nitro-3 should be about $35 usd.

Last edited by popsracer; 01-17-2003 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:12 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

thanks guys. everytime im in the hobby shop i just stare at the better kits and wish. im not ready for a better car though.. just the other day i took my nrs4 to my local indoor skatepark and beat the living crap out of it. two tanks of gas and about 20 wrecks, 4 rolls, and 2 15 foot drops later, nothing was broken. if it weren't hpi, i wouldnt of been able to have all that fun.. because i would never do that with any other car. except maybe one of those traxxas things.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:34 PM   #15
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Yep, that's the bene of HPI's. . .

Buy a new chassis, and, sometime, pick up an MIP Tweak Station and use that to check your shocks' downward force as Pops said earlier. It's one of your best investments.

So, play with your HPI until you get to be less hard on it.