R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-23-2003, 12:16 AM   #31
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

After I upgraded to lunsford tie rods and replaced the ball caps (to match the new tie rods) it's been danged near bombproof for me. . .although I'm still working on making it MORE bombproof. . .they don't call me Boomer for nothin!

I'm not a huge fan of using pivot balls for all the rear adjustments. . .they just complicate things. Change the toe? Sure, turn the front one in/out and the rear one out/in EXACTLY the same amount or you change the camber as well. . .and the reverse is true - change the camber? adjust BOTH screws exactly the same amount. . .or you change the toe too. . .oh, and changing the camber actually changes the track too, because you can't adjust the top of the wheel, only the bottom.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:59 AM   #32
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
I'm not a huge fan of using pivot balls for all the rear adjustments. . .they just complicate things. Change the toe? Sure, turn the front one in/out and the rear one out/in EXACTLY the same amount or you change the camber as well. . .and the reverse is true - change the camber? adjust BOTH screws exactly the same amount. . .or you change the toe too. . .oh, and changing the camber actually changes the track too, because you can't adjust the top of the wheel, only the bottom.
I agree with you on the tricky pivot ball setup. But once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple. Just like the first day you ran your car, you wondered how the hell those fast guys are able to judge how much to swerve into and out of corners at neck breakng speeds and at far distance. It needs a little practie and once you've done it, it's rather second nature.

For the rear, set toe in first. Once this is determined and fixed, set the rear camber by turning EQUAL amounts out (or in for that matter) on BOTH pivot balls to maintain the toe in. Yes, the problem of the rear track width will come up with the new rules and all...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 09:06 AM   #33
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've owned a couple of full pivot ball cars, and its never really been that complicated to me. And I was doing all my adjustments with just a set of calipers and no set up system.

The only time it really got complicated was with my first Corally, the C4 AGLE. Because it had a solid rear toe link, I not only used the lower pivot balls to set toe-in, but also to set rear camber. Now THAT was a PAIN!

But, any car that has a adjustable rear camber link, really simplifies the whole thing at the rear of a pivot ball car.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:07 AM   #34
Regional Moderator

I hope the car sells well for OFNA. Like I said, it gives people another option for those who want shaft drive, but don't want to have the same car as twenty other people at the track.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:33 PM   #35
Tech Elite

But it IS just like 20 others at the track, if they're running the NTC3. . .

((let's be different and copy a car that is popular. . .we can make it a different color, that'll do it!))
Old 01-24-2003, 08:07 AM   #36
Regional Moderator

Well, it IS different enough to catch peoples attention!

I drive an Academy STR4-pro as my electric sedan, and it looks alot like the TC3. But I guarantee you that when people walk through the pits checking out cars, they stop and take notice of the differences! And hell, for me thats half the fun, having people ohhh and ahhhh over your ride.

It appears that anything with a shaft is going to be a NTC3 copy. So if thats the case, then the NTC3 is a copy of the Tamiya nitro car. What was it called, the TG10 or something like that. It had a shaft. So if everybodys' car is a copy of someone elses, I say drive the one you like and let others do the same. One things for sure, copy or no copy, the LD3 still looks like a nice car.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:28 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Copy...? What Copy...? OFNA probably do a better job then AE...if that is the case, who care...? From the pictures on their website, it definitely a better car then NTC3......I like the V1RR design of the rear hub, steering area on the upper deck are bigger then NTC3......that tells me this car is AIMMED after NTC3, and hope they cleared those NTC3 problem like shock tower/upper diff case......

Don't get carry over.......NTC3 is no original, like Darkseid said, AE were sued by TAMIYA by copying their TG series, of course, there are SOMETHING between these 2 company and the case were dropped......and here we go, NTC3.

Will AE going to SUE OFNA for copycat.....? Hell no......OFNA and AE must had some SPECIAL DEAL on this issue....and afterall, LD3 is different then NTC3, at least the bumper looks stronger then the original GLASS edition NTC3 bumper.

Some one need to do it.......but apparently OFNA took the lead first.....who know, Serpent, Mugen, Kyosho might follow.......shaft drive for the next 10 years.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:03 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking ld3

saw the ld3 pro car nice mirco centex,very low c.g. fuel tank
looks like a k-factory has baffling inside !!! center mounting holes of tank so it pivots on the chassis a little looser ,but better then the other car,chassis is like swiss cheese looks like k-factory or
horizion like.carbon fiber upper deck looks lower then other car..
rear sway-bar is adjustsble only by replacing with different larger
or smaller wires ,can live with that! rear diff is oil filled steel gears
shock towers and arms look and feel alot stronger .carbon fiber
front upper bumper plate lower bumper is stronger .will try to get more info later..
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:17 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Whatever you want to believe.

I just looked at the Tamiya car and, yes, it is very similar to the TC3.

However, the NTC3 looks, to me, to be more similar to the ETC3 than to the Tamiya.

But in any case, there are significant differences between the Tamiya car and the NTC3 - Tamiya is double deck, AE is single, shock towers and diff casing mountings are completely different, Tamiya uses turnbuckles, AE uses pivot balls, etc. These are significant differences.

Comparing the AE and Ofna, however, is a different story. . . It looks very much like I could build an Ofna from an AE just by using hopups - same method of mounting the shock towers and the diff housings, both are single deck designs (the radio deck is not truly integral like in the Mugen, Serpent or Tamiya else it would extend on BOTH sides of the car), etc.

Shoot, the diff casings even have the same holes, for cryin out loud! They have the same notches for the sway bars. . .

The radio deck is even the same shape! Yeah, there is a bit larger of a hole for the servo arm. . .I never saw the need for a larger hole.

The swing rack is the same design. . . My word!

Well, copy-catting is the height of flattery I guess. . .too bad, I had thought more of Ofna than this.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:56 PM   #40
Tech Chat Moderator

Default is it a copy

The question seems to be is it a copy. Nobody cares. Let me take that back, some dont care. If it is or isnt, nothing u can do will change it. So leave the car alone.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:08 AM   #41
Tech Regular

well mate how would u like it if your car was gunna be put in the same bag as a cheapy knock off

people will start confusing ae's with suck ofna's
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:19 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Bryan N.

WOW, another car just makes the class more competitive. In my opinion it's good for the sport. Who cares if it is the same as the asso. the ofna car is not a "cheapy knock-off", it is a copy but you can't say its cheapy. you havent seen the pro version yet. The rtr is what it is, a RTR. People were flaming the hyper 7 when it first came out as a cheap version of the inferno 7.5, but now that people has tried it, it is very different from the 7.5. I for one think the Ofna car has fixed some of the problems people were having with the Asso. I also think its good that there are now 2 competitive shaft drive touring car on the market, now people can choose the brand they like(you gotta remember not everyone likes Associated cars).
Bryan N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:20 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Oh by the way, Ofna products don't suck at all.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:11 AM   #44
Tech Fanatic

I'll tell you guy's, it's no secret that I am one of the biggest fans of the NTC3 there is, and I for one am happy to see the OFNA car. As a matter of fact I would be happy to see 10 manufacturers copy it in some fashion. Think about it, the more cars, the more parts/options/hop-up's/ect.. Before I got my NTC3 I was looking at a Reflex or a V1R. Know why? The Reflex is an EXACT copy, and all the hop-up's made the world over for the V1R will work on it. I would be able to build the car exactly as I wanted it. Look at all the aftermarket stuff that OFNA makes, and it is not " Cheep Junk". I can say that with certainty because I use their products. I think it's comical how people react to changes in the RC world, always flame this, flame that, and most have never tried the product. I saw everyone last year jump on the NTC3 band wagon, they must have been 1/2 or more of the sedan entries at every race I attended last year. This year the Mugen comes out, and 2/3rds of them GAVE their NTC3's away to get it, not knowing how it would perform, but claiming it the new king. (Don't get me wrong about the Mugen, it appears to be a very nice car at an excellent price, I'm just trying to make a point.) I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think the OFNA car looks good, will probably be a nice ride (PRO or RTR), and will provide the NTC3 guys with a possible source for good aftermarket equipment. Give them a shot, they could have copied the V1R!
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:22 AM   #45
Tech Adept

I couldn't agree with you more!