Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
New HPI RS4 3 trouble getting started >

New HPI RS4 3 trouble getting started

New HPI RS4 3 trouble getting started

Old 01-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry New HPI RS4 3 trouble getting started

I purchased the HPI RSU 3 rtr and so far it is not been very rtr fun. I have a hard time starting it. It seems like it floods easily. Also it is suppose to be full time four wheel drive, but only the front tires spin. I was just running it and the front right diff. got a little loose and wouldn't spin. There seems to be alot more play with the right wheel than the left. Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

not having ever used the car, i cannot help you on your 4x4 problems.......although if you engine floods easily when starting i suggest leaning out your low end......remember, 1/8th turns at a time
Old 01-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Default New HPI RS4 3 trouble getting started

trice_rs4;

The FIRST thing you should be doing is reading the Manual that came with your car. This should have very clear instructions on how to start and tune your engine.

As for the slop, Welcome to HPI.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

I have recently bought an RS4 rtr3 as my first car as well and really have had no problems with it. At times things could be dificult but the more I learn and read the easier it all gets. One thing I have noticed is the temperature of the air when starting. I had a little trouble startiong occasionally too until I read about a guy putting a hair dryer towards his motor for a few minutes. I now do that everytime while I am filling my fuel bottle, getting out the ignitor, etc. It only takes a moment or 2 to warm the motor up then it starts very easily.
As far as the directions go....I am VERY dissapointed. I thought they were standard and gave decent info until a few friends bought their cars....a T Maxx and a TC3. The directions that came with their car/truck blows mine away. the T Maxx even came with a dvd that shows everything on the setup and break in. The instruction book gives a TON of info on everything about the truck.

As far as the differential and sterring...I ahve not had any trouble at all like that so I cant help there
Old 01-13-2003, 07:56 AM
Tech Chat Moderator

Default Re: New HPI RS4 3 trouble getting started

Originally posted by popsracer
trice_rs4;

The FIRST thing you should be doing is reading the Manual that came with your car. This should have very clear instructions on how to start and tune your engine.
He is right. Even thought the directions might not be as speciic as the new tmaxx and ntc3, it still should show and explain how to breakin your engine.

As far as your 4X4 deal. I dont quite understand the problem. You something like it got loose and wouldnt spin anymore. With my nrs4 2, the diff's do lock up very seldom. It only does that if it spins out or something crazy. Just give it a push and it will be good again. If your wheel has too much play, tighted the wheel nuts using the tool provided. Make sure you wheel nut and pin in in snuggly too. If any of this fail, check for ANY rocks, trash etc. BTW, before u do this, read your entire manual twice.