R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Convert To Drift? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/117643-convert-drift.html)

rcrevolution 06-12-2006 08:06 PM

Convert To Drift?

Hey whats up? I have an old HPI RS4 RTR, and I have done some upgrades to it, like 2-speed, OS .12cv-rx, high flow headers, nova mega tuned pipe.

Well all it does is sits in my living room and I never use it.

I was wondering what I need to convert it to a car that can drift. I personally dont like the idea of drifting R/C cars, I dont know whta all the hype about it is, but if this is the only way I will get use out of the RS4, and turn some heads at the track in the process then I don't mind it.

So right now I have these super hard compound Ellegi rubber tirs on it and they do drift on my drive but my drive way is smooth concrete I dont know if it will act the same on treated smooth asphault.

If I get some 2.5 inch PVC pipe and cut it those should provide enough slippage to drift right?

Everything else is all set, my car has the power for it, I'm getting a hump pack to ballance the weight evenly instead of all to one side (currently using a revo pack strapped to one side).

Does the body play an important part in drifting? I know HPI has those "drifting" bodies but they look like the regular silvia's, 350z' and rx7's with flashy paint jobs.

thanks for your time and help.

Rapid Roy 06-12-2006 08:42 PM

You can also try electrical tape around your tires. Its fast and easy. The tape also gives you enough grip so you don't just spin in circles. Drifting would be easier if you went to a single speed. Having engine braking gives you much more control. You really don't need lots of power, just a smooth trigger finger. Body choice is up to you. Drifting is a low speed thing so it won't make any difference.

rcrevolution 06-12-2006 09:03 PM

thanks, umm you said go to one speed, wont tightening the 2-speed so it doesnt shift have the same affect?

hav_lova 06-13-2006 05:38 AM

I can't see why a 2 speed shouldn't work for drift?

Just tape up your tyres and leave like half of the front tyres untaped so you get some grip for accel and steering. enjoy

Rapid Roy 06-13-2006 09:49 AM

With a 2 speed, when you let off of the gas, the car coasts or free wheels. With the single speed, letting off the gas slows down the car because the wheels are still directly connected to the engine. The 2 speed has a one way bearing so it doesn't have the engine brake effect. There is nothing wrong with locking down the 2 speed, just that the single speed setup will give you more control.

rcrevolution 06-13-2006 11:20 AM

can't I apply drag break to it? or something?

because I know the Stage D by hpi has a 2-speed on there the manual points it out clearly