R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-07-2003, 03:33 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Stinger broke....

I think that is the thing I am talking about. The little pipe that sticks off at an angle from the big pipe. I have the stock one that came on the HPI RS4 RTR3 (plastic one) and was planning on upgrading anyway. Will it hurt the car to run it without it in case I order it and drice it while waiting for it to come in? I lost control a little and it just nicked a stump of a bush at the edge of the street. It cracked only in the spot where the little pipe met the big one.
Basically I am just wondering if I can still drive it if the LHS doesnt have 1 in stock while I am waiting to have one shipped from Tower......

And oh yeah, what brand/type of tuned pipe do you recommend?
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 03:59 PM   #2
Tech Adept

It should be okay without the stinger. Upgrading to a pipe, I believe, you will also need a header. HPI have some good tuned pipe, paris is good. Better pipes would be rb, nova, etc.
dg2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:02 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Clean the pipe then put some liquid metal (used for radiator holes)where the stinger joins the pipe to seal the crack. If you don't you will get the exhaust oil all over your rear tire and your car will be difficult to handle.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Default Stinger broke....

Try some JB Weld or any High Temp epoxy to make a temporary repair of the stinger. Make sure the parts are completely clean of any dirt and oil before you repair or the epoxy will not stick well.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:25 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

mine has broken twice. i fixed it once with 5 minute epoxy but didnt clean it up enough and it came off again. after that, i used 100 grit sandpaper to rough all the glue edges up and glued it real neat. good as new. the first time it broke off, i ran if for another tank and it ran pretty crappy. the hole was bigger once it was broken. i want to get a pipe too, but other things come before that in my opinion, so ill just use my fixed one for now.
wahturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Default Broken stinger

Wahturi;

Did you get my E-mail about the Traxxas carb? Too bad you don't have the NRS4-2. I have a couple of stock pipes for that car too but they won't fit the NRS4-3.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:21 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the help. I have tried the temporary fix for now and will try it out tomorrow. I went to the LHS and they didnt have anything that would fit since my motor is on the right and they said that most car motors are on the left. Anyway, they ended up ordering a Paris pipe and header for me. Then I found the THS header and pipe that is a specfic upgrade for the rs4 3 at towerhobbies. I added it to my wishlist lol in case the Paris one doesnt work for me either then I will order that one.

Thanks again, you guys help out us rookies more than you know....
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Default pops e-mail

pops, no i didnt. could you send again?
wahturi is offline   Reply With Quote