Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Radios and servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default Best Radios and servos

Who makes the best radios and servos for the money. Once again my brother and I are the only guys with some serious nitor cars ( i have a mtx-2 and my bro has a serpent impulse pro) We have now idea whats better because no one sells or races nitro around here. So who makes the best airtronics, jr, or futaba. Money is not a factor, but i would like a radio around $250 and what is hte best servos hitech, futaba?
Old 01-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

My bet for the best radio goes for a KO EX1 Mars or Mars-R. Had KO units since much much years (my first was a gray KO Kraft EX1, somewhere about 1988).

Regarding servos, there are many opinions, but for sure that the best servos I got since much time are the Futaba 9450/9402 (In fact is my combo on steering and throttle) on every nitro I have).
Old 01-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Tech Prophet

For the fastest servo for steering, no one can beat the KO PDS-2143 digital servo at 0.08 seconds / 8 kg torque.

For braking / throttling service, the baddest servo is the 13 kg torque / 0.13 seconds KO PDS-2144 digital servo.

Pair this with a HRS type of controller (FWIW) like the Futaba 3PK, you have one of the baddest radio gears around.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

For the fastest servo for steering, no one can beat the KO PDS-2143 digital servo at 0.08 seconds / 8 kg torque.
i wouldn't know, but isn't it better to have more torque on steering and more speed on throttle? open the throttle quick.. and get those wheels to turn while at high speeds and high grip. am i wrong?
Old 01-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

You can have both speed and torque with the KO 2143 Digital. Thats what I'm running. Great torque and speed. Touring cars generally need about a minimum of 50-60 ounces of torque. The faster the steering servo, the faster it reacts to your inputs. The car will feel more responsive.

I tried running a high speed servo as throttle in my touring car and didn't notice much of a difference. For throttle, a standard servo works fine. Steering makes all the difference though.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

My fave servo for steering is the Airtronics 94757 Digital. I'ts got 0.07 sec transit time and 115 oz/in. of torque. Im still using a standard for throttle/brake tho.....
Old 01-15-2003, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Then again, looking at Dan's post, I'll probly just keep the standard for throttle/brake.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As for best radio I like my KO mars
but i suggest you pick a radio that
feels good to you.

As for servos I won't use any thing else
but KO servos. I run the digital 2143 for the
steering and run a non digital hi torque
wich ive had for 3 years now with no problem.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Radios and Servos

as far as radios go ... I had a JR XR3 as my primary radio but I just replaced it with an Airtronics M-8 .... aside from having to modify the M-8 to fit my bear paws I like it much better than the XR3 .. its easier to program, better features, and after modification it feels much better in my hands than the XR3 ever did. for the Servos .... I use JR Z8450's for steering in all my TC's nitro and electric and I currently have a Futaba S3003 in for throttle duties on my nitro. and remember guys ... you move the throttle maybe 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. you move the steering rack, bellcrank, whatever you have about twice that much. speed is needed on the steering as well as torque .... not so much so on the throttle. (you dont want a servo that takes a second to go 60 deg ... obviously) but stocks work great .....

oh no .... wheres the pimp dude smiley smoking the cigar ...
Old 01-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by jwf_frani
As for servos I won't use any thing else
but KO servos. I run the digital 2143 for the
steering and run a non digital hi torque
wich ive had for 3 years now with no problem.
Ideally, throttle / brake service would not require digital servos. High torque analog ones should suffice. Having analog throttle / brake servo will also go easy on the receiver pack in the long run FWIW.

Anyway, if you're running the new Futaba 3PK in HRS mode or the new KO EX1 Mars-R High response mode version, I believe you cannot run any analog servos. Only digital servos. Else, you'll burn the analog servo.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

mars R can only run digital servos? I've never heard this before. Are you certain InitialD?
Old 01-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by patelladragger
mars R can only run digital servos? I've never heard this before. Are you certain InitialD?
Oophs, sorry, you're right. Mars R can but the 3PK HRS cannot. Thanks for the correction.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Anyway, if you're running the new Futaba 3PK in HRS mode or the new KO EX1 Mars-R High response mode version, I believe you cannot run any analog servos. Only digital servos. Else, you'll burn the analog servo.
Nope... Have one and the unique warning that maked KO about the Mars-R is the need of using their own receivers, 'old receivers' not work. None about servos.

On the HRS of the Futaba, this is true, so this is a problem when you run electric and need to switch to PPM
Old 01-15-2003, 11:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Corse-R
Nope... Have one and the unique warning that maked KO about the Mars-R is the need of using their own receivers, 'old receivers' not work. None about servos.
Ok, I stand corrected about the servos... But I thought the issue regarding the "old receiver" and the new Mars-R has already been answered? It does work well with the old receiver but not in the high response mode of course.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Ok, I stand corrected about the servos... But I thought the issue regarding the "old receiver" and the new Mars-R has already been answered? It does work well with the old receiver but not in the high response mode of course.
InitialD:

Followed the thread, but none has given me instructions about this (have three 297FZ receivers here that I cannot use) how to disable the HR mode response and needed to buy the new 301F receivers.

I shitted myself and sobbed on what I was thinking when I decided to change from my trusty Mars to Mars-R. Blue led is so intense that hurts your eyes and distracts everyone at the rostrum (put a dab of Serpent putty) and no need for the 25 model memory going from a 10 model memory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.