R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default New LiPo receiver pack -- replaces 5-cell packs

VXR Racing has released a new LiPo receiver pack (LRX-211300), and this one fits very nicely in the Serpent 960 and any other nitro car that uses a 5-cell 2/3A NiMH (or NiCd) receiver pack.

The new LiPo pack is longer and slimmer than their previous offering (LRX-211000) and has increased capacity (1300mAh).

I have written an article in my column on myTSN at:
http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=11823
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #2

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Im hoping they come out with a AAA version soon. Maybe they already have it? Also is 1300mah higher than a nimh with 1300mah? If so I think there already up to like 1400-1600mah in the 2/3A size.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

What i don't like with the LiPo packs is the Voltage regulator, it's one more electronic device that can and probably will fail during a long main.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to richey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx
What i don't like with the LiPo packs is the Voltage regulator, it's one more electronic device that can and probably will fail during a long main.

I can tell you that i have sold alot of the regulators and batterys to the offroad guys for there 1/8th scale buggys and have not had anyone tell me they have gone bad. If they will take the punishment in an off road buggy there should be no problem for an on road car.
JoshStevensFoundation.org
richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Sparx:

Ive been running a 1320mah lipo 7.4V pack for six months now without a regulator and no problems yet,first check with your radio provider and ask if your reciever can hold that voltage,most of the recievers are able too,i would really recommend running the lipo pack,i had the same feeling you did about the regulator because it was another electronic device to worry about but before i started to run it in my 1/8 onroad car we ran the 1/18 micro cars with a six cell 7.2V pack and never had a problem,i love the lipo packs!!!

Roniel

SERPENT USA/MEGA/JACO
Roniel_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx
Im running 800mah 2cell supr lytweight lipo w/ my 8th scale. So far dont have any headache yet.

Thats a voltage regulator (picture)
Attached Thumbnails
New LiPo receiver pack -- replaces 5-cell packs-dsc00681.jpg  
Joe Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Lipo and regulator

I ran a 1400mah lipo pack with a Novak voltage regulator in my 960 for 4 months. We race every weekend so that was about 16 races before I had a switch failure. The switch is a part of the regulator wiring harness.

The main thing I noticed was faster servo speeds for the entire life of the battery charge. This showed up as less brake fade (especially if you are using ABS).
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As long as you're only using a 2 cell Lipo pack, you don't need a voltage regulator. What you want is a Low Voltage Cutoff. When a 7.2v Nimh batt is fully charged it's 9.5volts, depending on how old the battery is. A 7.4v lipo fully charged is right around the same. you plug a nimh in to a receiver with no problems. Yes it goes through the ESC but it doesn't get regulated down.

You want a LVC so it doesn't go below 3.4v per cell at the absolute minimum. Most LVC's will only go to 3.7v.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you don't use a nitro regulator by NOVAK, your servo will burn out quick, servos can handle up to 6 volts only AND BY USING A REGULATOR your battery actually last longer due to the regulator is only supplying constant 6 volts from a 8.2 volts battery (battery power is conserved)
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
If you don't use a nitro regulator by NOVAK, your servo will burn out quick, servos can handle up to 6 volts only AND BY USING A REGULATOR your battery actually last longer due to the regulator is only supplying constant 6 volts from a 8.2 volts battery (battery power is conserved)

i use the 1000mah lipo on my mtx4 with regulator (5 amp version) i have mounted it ont he exhaust side on the chassis between the tank and pipe. i have two holes in the chassis for 3mm screws and used xray fk04/ko5/t2 servo posts, placed a bit of lexan between the two posts and mounted the regulator there. works fine.

i have lowered the fuel tank by 3mm's (with some more spce if i really wanted it lower. and you can also move the battery forward or back to adjust weight distribution. i found no real handing difference, but again, i am not a pro driver, but not a mong either
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
As long as you're only using a 2 cell Lipo pack, you don't need a voltage regulator. What you want is a Low Voltage Cutoff. When a 7.2v Nimh batt is fully charged it's 9.5volts, depending on how old the battery is. A 7.4v lipo fully charged is right around the same. you plug a nimh in to a receiver with no problems. Yes it goes through the ESC but it doesn't get regulated down.

You want a LVC so it doesn't go below 3.4v per cell at the absolute minimum. Most LVC's will only go to 3.7v.
If you are using an ESC I presume you are referring to electric racing. In that instance, the voltage IS reduced by the esc to the appropriate level (4.8-6v). When using a 2 cell LiPo or 6cell NiMh(as a rx pack), a voltage regulator should be used. Most servos will not tollerate the extra voltage for long.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

On most receivers available today, the erceivers have a BEC in them. That's why you don't need one. I know my JR's, Airtronics, and Spektrum receivers do at least. I'm not putting the full 7.4 volts to any of the equipment. I guess I should have said this in the first post. I'm doing it like this in my 1/8th buggy and haven't had an issue.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
Tech Elite

You need to check the specs on those rx's. Most do NOT have BEC! Spektrum does not have it, the JR's and KO's I have do not have it either.
BEC is on many entry level rx's, but is rare on high-end systems. It is assumed by the manufacturer, that they would be used with an esc (equipped with bec) or with a rx pack of the proper voltage.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:33 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You definatly want to run the regulator. My 2 cell lipo peaks at over 8 volts. I dont think the servos would last with that for long at all.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:02 AM   #15
Tech Addict

I have been running a 900mha lipo with the novak reg. I havent braved not running a reg. I think the biggest benefit for the reg is low voltage cut-off.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote