R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   negative diff ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/1147-negative-diff.html)

redsand 10-27-2001 09:14 AM

negative diff ?

What is it ? And how does it work ? From what I see it has some sort of centrifugal clutch and bevel gears in it. And I think it's made by Kawahara. I wish I could read Japanese, I found it on one of the Japanese radio control mags.

Cosmo 10-27-2001 01:15 PM

I have never heard of a Negative Diff. I know Kawahara makes a one-way diff for a few different cars. Maybe that's what it is supposed to be. Japanese to English translations often end up with strange outcomes.

kyosho 10-27-2001 03:51 PM

It's kind of like the kyosho lsd for the mp 7.5. But I think it has some sort of clutch thing in it.

Mauler 10-27-2001 05:17 PM

Re: negative diff ?

Originally posted by redsand
What is it ? And how does it work ? From what I see it has some sort of centrifugal clutch and bevel gears in it. And I think it's made by Kawahara. I wish I could read Japanese, I found it on one of the Japanese radio control mags.
Read page 5 onwards of the V One R thread... We had a major discussion about this quite sometime back...

Hope this helps...

Manticore 10-27-2001 06:15 PM

it is just a name. you may call it negative diff, or positive diff, or active diff, or reactive diff, or LS diff or whatever.

Manticore 10-27-2001 06:40 PM

Originally posted by kyosho
It's kind of like the kyosho lsd for the mp 7.5. But I think it has some sort of clutch thing in it.
kawahara negative diff is very different from kyosho LS diff !!! they are not the same.

kyosho 10-28-2001 01:38 AM

I was just giving him the idea of a negative diff.

Manticore 10-28-2001 04:21 PM

I was just giving him the idea of a negative diff.
so you dont really know what is the kawahara negative diff and the kyosho LSD?

kyosho 10-29-2001 10:45 PM

Yes I know what both of them are but, if you want to get technical you can do the pleasure of explain it.

Manticore 10-30-2001 01:28 AM

Yes I know what both of them are but, if you want to get technical you can do the pleasure of explain it.
The kawahara diff assemble diagram was posted in here earlier.

psycho 11-05-2001 03:56 PM

It's sort of a happy medium between having a diff and having a straight axle. At speed, the clutch shoes lock the diff so it acts like a straight axle, but when you slow down, the clutch disengages and you have diff action.

Manticore 11-06-2001 07:55 AM

Originally posted by psycho
It's sort of a happy medium between having a diff and having a straight axle. At speed, the clutch shoes lock the diff so it acts like a straight axle, but when you slow down, the clutch disengages and you have diff action.
it works exactly the way you descripted.