R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #226
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSHUN
I have purchased a couple of theses bodies as well, i have the same concerns with the rear of the body.
some may say its light weight, but i call it poor design . I would consider it to be an early run defect, the material is so thin that it will flap in high wind .
im planning on trying to beef it up with some stiffeners , but i think the bodies i purchase after that will continue to be the Blitz, they are solid and fit perfectly on the Mugen MRX4R.
I have Serpent bodies, very thick lexan, handsome looking, superb aerodynamics, and heavy.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #227
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsupra
I just purchased the new MSR whip body. By any chance would anybody know why in the rear end the lexan is like paper thin compared to the rest of the body? Thanks
Sometimes I use thin layer of white / transparent epoxy to thicken thin area on the body after painting it. You can glue weak corners and bends on the body, and they are permanent too. Another alternative is using 3M protector layer ( much cleaner than epoxy ).

Tips: Don't use thick layer epoxy because it may peel off after a bad hit.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #228
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Personally I would be embarrassed to market the current line of paper thin Whip bodies. Durability of the rear section for the average racer will be nill.

The Pro's/Sponsored driver's don't care.... they show up with 4- 5 free bodies and custom cookie cutter paint jobs on them all.

Mugen...... Sell us a body we can use and get some durability out of.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #229
Tech Champion

I think thin lexan are suitable for 1/10 electric but not for 1/8.

I have Protoform Lola ( T530 ) and it is too thin, and I would like to switch to Serpent 720 bodies for next purchase.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #230
Tech Adept

Well said , corey, not to trash mugen, but i am used to buying top notch mugen quality parts, and i was a little shocked to see that those bodies even got thru QC inspection.
i love the design of the body, the overall look is awesome, but the rear end, right and left sides are way too thin, maybe it was a problem with the injection mould specs, a cost cutting issue?? who know's.
all i am saying is compare it to the Blitz or the new Parma, even the Protoform, they are all very durable bodies.
AKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #231
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The second batch of bodies are gonna be alot thicker than their first batch. My bodies that I got from mugen are very thin, but I've seen guys at our club ( Rams ), reinforce just the rear with braces or other lexan reinforcements. I took it a step further and used a thin sheet of carbon fiber that I got from taps plastics and just did the rear wheel well. The body stood up to major impacts during our main with out cracking or ripping. But, I do look forward to the second batch of bodies so that I don't have to do this all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Mugen MRX-4R-carbon-fiber-inlet.jpg   Mugen MRX-4R-mounted-3.jpg   Mugen MRX-4R-mugen-4life.jpg  
Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #232
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

Where are you guys buying your tires in the states? Who has the best deals? thanks
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #233
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
The second batch of bodies are gonna be alot thicker than their first batch. My bodies that I got from mugen are very thin, but I've seen guys at our club ( Rams ), reinforce just the rear with braces or other lexan reinforcements. I took it a step further and used a thin sheet of carbon fiber that I got from taps plastics and just did the rear wheel well. The body stood up to major impacts during our main with out cracking or ripping. But, I do look forward to the second batch of bodies so that I don't have to do this all the time.
CF is too much just to reinforce bodies... better to put another layer of scrap lexan to reinforce them (you can use the one that makes the floor of the body, is the thickest).

Is what I use from ages and never left me off... CF can shatter your bodies if you got T-boned with lexan could bend, but nothing that could be straightened with a little of heat.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #234
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adim_X
Where are you guys buying your tires in the states? Who has the best deals? thanks

Sorry, could not help you here... maybe someone could tell you. Which kind of tyres? GRP, Jaco, ???

I'm thinking on ordering from Japan several 5 sets boxes from Kawahara in assorted shores (asked for them to Masa and gave me great price).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #235
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adim_X
tires are generally close when it comes to price, some hobby shops try to price too high and that rarely lasts too long.
here in Canada , i pay about 45.99 for a set of Jaco nitro shoes, that would be anywhere between 35.00 and 40.00 american depending on the exchange.
that is a reasonable price, some manufacturers, such as Kawahara charge a little more, but they are excellent quality and i wouldnt recommend them unless you are at the top of your game.
also, check out the for sale section of different forums, you may notice some guys sell full sets of tires really cheap.
good luck,
steve
AKSHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #236
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSHUN
tires are generally close when it comes to price, some hobby shops try to price too high and that rarely lasts too long.
here in Canada , i pay about 45.99 for a set of Jaco nitro shoes, that would be anywhere between 35.00 and 40.00 american depending on the exchange.
that is a reasonable price, some manufacturers, such as Kawahara charge a little more, but they are excellent quality and i wouldnt recommend them unless you are at the top of your game.
also, check out the for sale section of different forums, you may notice some guys sell full sets of tires really cheap.
good luck,
steve
Be careful.... Sale tires usually dry tires. ( not fresh, less grip ).
Old 09-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #237
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse-R
CF is too much just to reinforce bodies... better to put another layer of scrap lexan to reinforce them (you can use the one that makes the floor of the body, is the thickest).

Is what I use from ages and never left me off... CF can shatter your bodies if you got T-boned with lexan could bend, but nothing that could be straightened with a little of heat.
The carbon fiber I have is very flexible. I've used it for years and had no issues shattering. Actually the CF I have measures .50mm. I only used this for the rear section of the whip because of it being thin in the rear.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #238
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Hey Rog,
Hope thingz are cool with ya. Good to see you finally rockin an R. Will we see you at the Nats next month in OH?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #239
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman
Hey Rog,
Hope thingz are cool with ya. Good to see you finally rockin an R. Will we see you at the Nats next month in OH?
Wuz up brotha !! Yups, gotta R from Hananouchi and Swagzilla. Not too sure about the nats, but i'll be at Texas for the RC pro series final. I heard you coming down for Toys for Tots from Harry. I'll see you there for sure.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:47 PM   #240
Tech Regular

Wassup Roger?
Glad you're coming out to Tejas ........ plenty of good times ahead down
in Houston. I used to live there ..... I'll get all the Hot Spots set up bro!
Who else is planning on coming out from the West Coast / Bay area?

See ya .. T