R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-04-2006, 01:09 AM   #136
Tech Champion

Sorry guys, strange question but interesting to answer.

My friend poisoned me to buy MRX4-R. I don't want to invest too much so I'm thinking to use RB WS7III ( it's off road engine ) for it. Can I use it ?

Secondly, What is the size of stock brake and rear side pulleys ? I'm thinking to replace the stock brake and rear side pulleys with 2 or 3 more tooth in order to compensate the torque and lower maximum rpm of buggy engines.

Thanks.

edit: I check RB website, there are 2 engine underhead : turbo & standard.

Last edited by asw7576; 08-04-2006 at 01:51 AM.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:19 AM   #137
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Sorry guys, strange question but interesting to answer.

My friend poisoned me to buy MRX4-R. I don't want to invest too much so I'm thinking to use RB WS7III ( it's off road engine ) for it. Can I use it ?

Secondly, What is the size of stock brake and rear side pulleys ? I'm thinking to replace the stock brake and rear side pulleys with 2 or 3 more tooth in order to compensate the torque and lower maximum rpm of buggy engines.
I could not fin any problem that may arise if you plan to use an WS7 in your 4-R, everything will fit fine, the only thing you may want to change is the the cooling head for the one from C6 or similar (Check on the forums at RB website).

You may not need to make such radical change of gearing, for my personal tastes the 17T is a little longer first gear as much you may need to keep the 17 going with the 48T and switch to a 21T second gear to still keeping a correct split on the gears (my 1st gear is a 16/49) and a 20/45 on the second gear. Another trick to gearing is the size of the tyres.

How big is your track?
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 AM   #138
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse-R
I could not fin any problem that may arise if you plan to use an WS7 in your 4-R, everything will fit fine, the only thing you may want to change is the the cooling head for the one from C6 or similar (Check on the forums at RB website).

You may not need to make such radical change of gearing, for my personal tastes the 17T is a little longer first gear as much you may need to keep the 17 going with the 48T and switch to a 21T second gear to still keeping a correct split on the gears (my 1st gear is a 16/49) and a 20/45 on the second gear. Another trick to gearing is the size of the tyres.

How big is your track?
Thanks for your inputs.

My first home track is 80 meter ( 262 feet )

Second home track is 120 meter ( 328 feet )
Old 08-04-2006, 03:24 AM   #139
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs.

My first home track is 80 meter ( 262 feet )

Second home track is 120 meter ( 328 feet )

I expect you're talking about the lenght of the backstraights... if not, the 1/8 will not shift into second on all the track. Those cars are quick, but they need a decent lenght track just to be confortable on it.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Old 08-04-2006, 03:45 AM   #140
Tech Champion

Quote:

I expect you're talking about the lenght of the backstraights... if not, the 1/8 will not shift into second on all the track. Those cars are quick, but they need a decent lenght track just to be confortable on it.
Yes, they are backstraight.

It's quite a large track consisting of 2 fast sweeper, 2 medium speed S turns, 2 low speed corners, 1 short straight and 1 long straight.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:59 AM   #141
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yes, they are backstraight.

It's quite a large track consisting of 2 fast sweeper, 2 medium speed S turns, 2 low speed corners, 1 short straight and 1 long straight.
Alright then... bolt the WSIII and change the gearing (the gearing should be around this.... but you need to play with it). Other key adjustment will be the pipe. Driving an off-road engine will provide you lots of rip, you need to try to kill a little the low-end and trying to gain the most high-end possible.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #142
Tech Champion

Quote:
Alright then... bolt the WSIII and change the gearing (the gearing should be around this.... but you need to play with it). Other key adjustment will be the pipe. Driving an off-road engine will provide you lots of rip, you need to try to kill a little the low-end and trying to gain the most high-end possible.
Thanks. I hope it works. I'm glad I don't have to buy anymore engines. Btw, the brake pulley and rear side pulley..... how many teeth are they ? Are they the same like in MTX4 ?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #143
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks. I hope it works. I'm glad I don't have to buy anymore engines. Btw, the brake pulley and rear side pulley..... how many teeth are they ? Are they the same like in MTX4 ?
Nope, the pinions are different than the ones in MTX4, are 1.0 pitch (the most resembling ones are the old pinions for the MTX3) but are thicker just to cope with the more power coming from a .21 mill.

AFAIK, Dave Cambell from Delta (His name here is DeltaDave) has done some hard coated pinions for the MRX3/4 and I can assure you that last more than the stock ones. Some months ago I adapted ones (only 1st gear) from the Delta XP4 to the Mugen clutchbell and last MUCH more... believe me they worth. PM it for more info regarding this.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #144
Tech Champion

Thanks Corse R

I'll show the car's photo after I buy it. I hope everyone won't jump out the windows after seeing a buggy engine inside on road car hehehe
Old 08-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #145
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks Corse R

I'll show the car's photo after I buy it. I hope everyone won't jump out the windows after seeing a buggy engine inside on road car hehehe
I've seen a .15 7port big-block on a 1/8scale on-road... the track was like a glass and no traction at all... he was the unique to mash the throttle out the turns without a 6 or 7 meters powerslide, of course, he was the one who won the race.

Since that day, I don't scare for anything.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #146
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

What kind of airfilter do you guys use? I have seen most cars with what looks like an airfilter with a plastic cover over it.
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #147
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adim_X
What kind of airfilter do you guys use? I have seen most cars with what looks like an airfilter with a plastic cover over it.
Its air filter booster.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:47 AM   #148
Tech Elite

Those 'black box' is an air intake noise reducer. Intended to lower the sound of .21 engines. Is mandatory to use mainly on Europe and some Asia countries (and of course: IFMAR races). Very slowly is being introduced on US Races, mainly due to sound and noise regulations.

Nowadays all the engines are made for using one of these (with that box, the engines are a little less fuel guzzlers). The one in the pic is the Mugen one. For many years, the only one was the Serpent one, much bulkier.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:09 AM   #149
Tech Champion

Quote:
Those 'black box' is an air intake noise reducer. Intended to lower the sound of .21 engines. Is mandatory to use mainly on Europe and some Asia countries (and of course: IFMAR races). Very slowly is being introduced on US Races, mainly due to sound and noise regulations.

Nowadays all the engines are made for using one of these (with that box, the engines are a little less fuel guzzlers). The one in the pic is the Mugen one. For many years, the only one was the Serpent one, much bulkier.
Damn.... a noise reducer ? ..... not in my car
Old 08-05-2006, 05:58 AM   #150
Tech Elite

Quote:
Damn.... a noise reducer ? ..... not in my car
Almost all we said the same the first time... I suggest just to check it for some tanks (will change the carb adjustment) but... the advantages are here... reduces noise (so less pressure from anger neighbors), more fuel runtime and of course, less chance that some dirt can impact on your filter and enter crap on your expensive engine.