R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-03-2003, 11:24 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default slop

i know that an rs4-3 isnt on the cutting edge. but is it ok to jave as much slop as i do in the hub assemblies? my car really seems to have a mind of its own as far as alignment at high speeds. i toed it in a bit and my camber is at neutral. i think my problem is due to all that slop and the amout the wheels can move before the servo moves. is this slop normal and needed, or is it something that i should fix with.. maybe aluminum parts? or is the problem that i have an rs4-3? pops, im sure you can help.
wahturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 11:35 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

wahturi, Unfortunately slop is just one of the downfalls of the HPI cars. You can reduce the amount of slop by using the carbon graphite parts and Aluminum steering bell cranks but I have yet to see a slop free HPI.
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 11:45 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

so if i was to sell my nrs4-3 and get a ntc3 kit, would i experience a tighter, truer car?
Old 01-03-2003, 11:49 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

by the way, the more stuff i buy for and the more i learn about my car, the more angry i get with hpi. why the hell would you design a car with up to 1 mm of slop? here i am trying to adjust it .5mm at a time, get all finished only to see it move twice as much as i jsut adjusted it!! lame. sorry, i vented.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

LOL , I feel your pain. I think a lot of people have went through the same thing you are going through, I know I did. When it comes down to it, I think most people will tell you an HPI is a good car for a beginner/basher to novice racer. You will get to a point when the performance of the car will hold you back. The thing I noticed the most about changing from a fully optioned HPI car (invested way too much money) to a Serpent Impulse pro was how much more consistent and predictable the Serpent was, which made it much easier to drive for me. My 2cents
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Default wahturi;

Quote:
so if i was to sell my nrs4-3 and get a ntc3 kit, would i experience a tighter, truer car?
Absolutely.

There are shims availible from several companies that can help remove the slop in your HPI. You will need 3 or 4mm for the hinge pins. The pins are actually 3mm, but 4mm will work fine too.

Keep the HPI until you feel that your driving can longer advance because the car is holding you back. I know several people that do very well racing the NRS4-3.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:32 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Slop continued

wahturi;

Fixing the slop in the steering linkage will really help the wandering problem. If the Car has a wire link between the steering bell-cranks, replace the wire with some Rocket City ball links and some treaded rod. I've done this to ALL of the HPI cars that I've owned over the years and it works great.
A Digital servo really helps ANY car run truer at high speeds, but it's not nesessary at your stage of the game.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:21 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to the bob Send a message via Yahoo to the bob
Default You think HPIs are bad!

My CEN can practically cut a hairpin with no steering input. My heart rate's at about 190 just trying to keep the thing in a remotly strait line. Apparently CEN says you can minimize this by using upgrade screws and bearings. You shouldn't have to do this!!!(Serves my right for playing it cheap with 200 dollar car) I don't care what these screws and bearings can do there too darn expensive, I'll show this thing!!! I'd rather spend an entire week modifying yoyo bearings to fit nice and snug and machining better screws or even inventing a new system than spending money on parts from those no good equivocating, monopolizing PUNKS!!!! Join my revolution, custom parts are the answer!!!!!!!! (this all coming from an idiot who recently spent $1500 to shave a pound and a half off his road bike) at least laugh in pitty
the bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 06:06 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

oh, i hear you. ive already made my camber links by cutting the stock ones up, drilling holes in them and threaded rod. i tried this between my steering bells thinking it would stop the problem, but it didnt. the problem seems to be in the hub and an overall loosness of the parts. its annoying to think they could of just made it right in the first place.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:50 AM   #10
Tech Master

I know what your saying about slop (too much is bad) but it is not only the lesser cars that have it bad. I run Yokomo at the minute and I bought a brand new GT4R 6months ago. When I built it I was fit to make the car dance. The slop in the front end was so bad that I couldn't get a true reading on the set up station.

The servo saver in the Yokomo has a lot of slop and the upper front wishbone can move sideways (away from and towards the chassis). This gives you a real headache when setting up as you never get the same reading from both sides.

What I did was use a Mugen Servo Saver and Tie-rods for the steering and to cure my wishbone problem I got some brass hollow tubing with inner diameter to match the hinge pins and squeezed it into the bulk head mounting points. Now, I have a fairly slop free car that is easier to set up.

As for making custom parts, I do this also (with Carbon Fibre mainly). My current project is to convert the Yokomo steering to the same setup used by the MTX3. I will keep you all informed.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote