R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yup, I just noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out Scott.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #62
Tech Adept

hi, i have just been reading your thread i race a mugen mtx4 in brisbane, australia. i run fast or mainly grp wheels, i don't understand your prices i get my wheels from my lhs an pay between $16-$18 a pair what i don't get is your dollar value is better than ours but i nearly pay less than you for my wheels for my value you should be paying about $10-$12 dollars a pair.

anyone coming out for 200mm world championships.

Mugen MRX-4X/4PK 2.4GHz FASST/ Sirio S21 WCR/ Matrix Tyres
EVIL-ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #63
Tech Elite

The reason is, now that Hobbico is importing them, the price is getting gouged. I think GRP is going to figure this one out the hard way.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I don't understand it either. I've found tires for a good price from a few places, since tires are the one thing that hobby shops should sell a lot of, instead, the price is what keeps many from running nitro. Instead, they runn electric, and they feel a set of foams should be like rubber. I talked to Paul Win, and he sais that "foam tires are sold way too cheap and that they should be around $30 a pair".......my thought is......YOUR NUTS!!!!!!

Go ahead and make those tires $30, $20, or even $18.99 or $19.99 like they are at Horizon Hobby. That combined with the increase in engine prices, no wonder on-road nitro is disapearing. The day I have to pay $40 for a set of faom tires to race one day, is the day I quit R/C racing. If I was to be able to race 1 day on 1 set ($40) and race 2 weekends a month, that would make my tire bill $960 a year. I'de might as well get a BOAT.

At the price of $10 a pair, that same bill would be $480, that would be enough to buy 2 good engines!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #65
Tech Elite

I know of some tracks that are so hard on tires that racers are putting on a new set every round or 2.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:38 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Go ahead and make those tires $30, $20, or even $18.99 or $19.99 like they are at Horizon Hobby. That combined with the increase in engine prices, no wonder on-road nitro is disapearing. The day I have to pay $40 for a set of faom tires to race one day, is the day I quit R/C racing. If I was to be able to race 1 day on 1 set ($40) and race 2 weekends a month, that would make my tire bill $960 a year. I'de might as well get a BOAT.
Uhm.... Really... I don't know why you're surprised about this. Here in Europe is quite normal to pay 9-15Euros per pair of tyres (18-30€ per car). The ones I use (Enneti) I buy them in groups of 20 or 30 sets from the LHS and get a better price. Is just a matter of negotiation and buying in bigger quantyties.

BTW: A boat seems cheaper, but not.. 2 years ago changed the engine for a new 540cid mill and that set me back about 14k US$. This year got some problems with the gimble ball of the outdrive (too much HP/Torque) and this set me back another 4k for sure... a boat isn't cheap too (and I can drive it 4 months at year) this... without the added cost of the fuel (1.06€ each liter of 95octane unleaded).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:45 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have a G4 Mongoose, i ran the GRP Gandini tyres at $18 AU a pair, i found them to be grippy but the wear was incredible. 2 sets for 30 mins of racing. i then tried the Jaco serpent rims today. one set for all day and will do another 10mins. they are the same shore rating. i even found the Jaco's to be better grip, probably due to consistent ride hieght. the GRP would change 2mm every 5 mins. would unsettle the car or setup for were you think the tyre would wear. probably wont buy them again. my 2 cents.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse-R
Uhm.... Really... I don't know why you're surprised about this. Here in Europe is quite normal to pay 9-15Euros per pair of tyres (18-30€ per car). The ones I use (Enneti) I buy them in groups of 20 or 30 sets from the LHS and get a better price. Is just a matter of negotiation and buying in bigger quantyties.

BTW: A boat seems cheaper, but not.. 2 years ago changed the engine for a new 540cid mill and that set me back about 14k US$. This year got some problems with the gimble ball of the outdrive (too much HP/Torque) and this set me back another 4k for sure... a boat isn't cheap too (and I can drive it 4 months at year) this... without the added cost of the fuel (1.06€ each liter of 95octane unleaded).
At least the 4 months(120 days) you could drive the boat is better than the 24 days you can drive your r/c car
Old 07-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz
At least the 4 months(120 days) you could drive the boat is better than the 24 days you can drive your r/c car
4 Mo. is the weather windows I have each year. Into this window I have the boat permanently on the water during 8-9 weeks (Bro and parents enjoy it too during this time, the other 9 weeks I have it on the marina, ready for being launched. Launch the boat from the marina is around 120€ each time I call the crane (isn't easy to move almost 7000Lbs of boat without a crane).

Each year I have 2 full weeks of vacations which I use the boat, the same goes for my bro, my parents use them, but less intensively and with much lesser throttle.

Filling the 550Litres fuel tank isn't cheap (talk about 600€ each time you empty the tank - a tank can last you around 4 o 5 days or less depending where you go and which speed you arrived it), the guzzler I have under the hood loves to drink a lot of fuel (hearing the vacuum secondaries of a 875cfm carb is somewhat scary). During the 8 weeks, is very easy to pass thru the pistons over 2500litres of fuel.

This is without having nothing broken... scary, huh? This year, this bill is increased with a new outdrive unit. Talk about winterizing the boat for the next season.

The cars I use it one day or two each weekend, 2 or 3 weekends each month. So, at least I can drive my cars at least 36 potential days at year. Much more than my boat.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #70
Tech Elite

I know what you mean there, but I don't have a track close by, When I travel, it costs me around $450-$600 each time I race for fuel, hotel, and food. The truck takes $90 togo 225 miles, and the nearest track in the series is 200+ miles away.

Even if the boat was more, at least I would have the pleasure of having my wife with me.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:35 PM   #71
Tech Rookie

Default making your own tires

I am looking at making my own tires. I have been doing this for a couple of weeks and it is turning out nice. The only problem is I can not find the correct material. Everything I have recieved is too software and spongy. Anybody know where I can get the same material that Mono or GRP or other tire companies use?
MRose34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #72
Tech Regular

Default $$$$

I agree that tires are way too expensive. $30 a set is high, but if it stays that way you can at least make a budget. However, the prices seem to go up and up, and the technology is not progressing with that. Tires have gotten better, but not to the point to justify the big increases in prices. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, GRP cut the middle guys out, and they are doing everything themselves. When you had alot of different resellers, prices were controlled due to competition. When you cut that out, GRP clearly has the monopoly. Please correct me if I am mistaken. I dont want to start any rumors.
Lil Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #73
Tech Master

"Well, I couldn't resist speeking up on this one. GRP has gone with Horizon Hobbies for exclusive distribution of their tires from what I have been told. I looked the tire prices up and they are $18.99 pr.& $19.99pr. By the time I pay shipping, a single set of tires is $46.03 (They must be LOCO ) "
-Have you seen the prices at Tower!!!!!!!!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&C=CJLGAN&P=0

-Your butt would hurt after buying these...............
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:22 PM   #74
Tech Initiate

Default tire prices

some of these tire prices are getting out of hand , is there some reason why there so high , i.e gas prices,shipping whats the deal , always seems when a co. comes along with good prices and service they get taken over by tower or horizon ,
Arcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:03 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

There are plenty of good options out there if you don't want to pay the price for GRP tires. Microsystems, Serpent, GQ are just a few. All are available at lower cost and are good tires.