R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Yes Performula, your correct, but now I don't run them......are you going to the Nationals or the GLC?

TIME TO VENT!
Now gijoe64, let me tell you what I think. I think you are part of Horizon or something.
I race the best I can with what I have, and if It means I have to spend $5000 to be competive with the top drivers because they get stuff I can't buy, whats the point of racing against them! You might as well say that they are cheating.
Also, in your eye's, it is apparent we are all UNWORTHY and UNGRATEFULL consumers that we don't go out and pay whatever the price is. Well let me tell you something, I have designed cars, had them produced, sold, and never received any $ from it. So, what about those Millions?

A mountian out of a mole hill, well I'm not mad at the manufactures, I'm mad about the middle-man and people like you, because if it wasn't for them, the price wouldn't be that HIGH!
Well your wrong, I pay thoes high prices just like you do. I have been racing for a long time and I save up for thoes big races and I know what to expect when I attend a race. In nitro racing you can get the same tires engines ect.. as the top driver do. And if you designed cars and did not get money out of it your not to smart.
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #47
Tech Master

Don't be mad at the manufactures, we asked for faster cars, we asked for better engines, we asked for longer lasting tires. And the manufacture gave it to us, this is a hobby and if you want to play you have to pay. If you can't afford it do somthing else. I work hard for what I got in this hobby, and your conspiracy theories are silly. Try being proactive and not have the latest thing on the market, try learning how to drive and not just throwing money into the problem.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64
Also a distributer has to pay for the tires from GRP and pay tariffs, taxes and import costs. And just the beginning, GRP makes good tires but they are growing and they need a out let to sell their product here in the US. If you want cheap tires find that deal but if you are just going to vent online don't expect everyone to agree with your opinion.
Stefan addressed the issue of importing the contents of a home, along side a car, for the cost of $2,000 and, how tires would only incur tax of 2.8-3.8%.

Quote:
Don't be mad at the manufactures, we asked for faster cars, we asked for better engines, we asked for longer lasting tires. And the manufacture gave it to us, this is a hobby and if you want to play you have to pay. If you can't afford it do somthing else. I work hard for what I got in this hobby, and your conspiracy theories are silly. Try being proactive and not have the latest thing on the market, try learning how to drive and not just throwing money into the problem.
We'll see...when I'm in front of you with my $10.00 tires. If you don't like people from all over the world discussing costs - don't come to a discussion forum.

Hmmm, hypocritical?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57983

Last edited by performula; 05-15-2006 at 06:07 PM.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #49
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
Stefan addressed the issue of importing the contents of a home, along side a car, for the cost of $2,000 and, how tires would only incur tax of 2.8-3.8%.

We'll see...when I'm in front of you with my $10.00 tires. If you don't like people from all over the world discussing costs - don't come to a discussion forum.

Hmmm, hypocritical?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57983
No not hypocritical, just stating my opinion, I want all racers around the world to disscus issues like this but don't expect eveyone to agree with you

Hey I would love to pay 2 dollars a tire, but I am realistic. I will buy the latest and greatest, and if I want it price is not option and I would say 75% of racers are just like me. I want this hobby to be cheaper but is upto racers and not manufactuers to get the prices lower. RC car racing is the most expensive area in all of RC we will pay 100.00 bucks for a set of screws for our cars, and we think this will make us faster, and we will pay 20.00 bucks for a set of tires that we think will make us faster. So I have just stoped complaning about the manufactures and dealers and save my money and work my butt of to get what I want. Don't buy GRP, but you know GRP is not the only companys selling their tires for 18.99-22.99 a pair, what about JACO, PARMA and TRC and all of the other manufactures? This is the norm in the US, and I wish I could goto Europe they have some good racing and the tracks are sweet . Hey I buy online alot, but I also support my local hobby shop everyone has to make a living.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Quote:
Well, if I learn to drive sometime soon, I will let you you know, but till then, I hope you don't get on a track with me, because you know I can't drive and I might take you out

Also, we all know this if for entertainment, because no matter what we say or do here, nothing will ever change. take a look at gas prices. Everybody is complaining and that hasn't stopped me from driving my truck.

This is just a place to vent and share thoughts, nothing more!
Good luck at the races
Old 05-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

gijoe:

If you are paying $20 for a pair of foam sedan tires to support your hobby shop then I say great... There are PLENTY of places to buy tires at substantially less money than that. That statement goes for all you guys.

Remember that Tower is just a hobby shop. Great Planes is the distributor (same company). Your local hobby shop as well as most hobby shops will be able to buy GRP tires from Great Planes just like they buy tons of other products. I don't know that for sure, but if GP thinks they can meet their obligation to GRP using only Tower as an outlet and at the prices currently listed then they are fools. I really think those prices are not going to be the selling price. Even if they are my guess is that your local hobby shop will probably buy them at about $9/box and they will be able to sell them for whatever they want. Don't worry about this stuff until GP actually has inventory and the product starts showing up in hobby shops.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #52
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It was said earlier to try racing a full size car some time, and then we would really be able to complain. Well the reason we dont is because of the cost!! In theory rc racing is for the people that cannot do just that ( afford to run a real race car) But you know whats sad? A 1/8 onroad nitro for something competitive after all is said and done can cost upwards of $2,000. A buddy of mine bought a full size competitive stock car for 2,500....with enough tires to last a whole season. We had quite a laugh over the comparison, but yes we both run 1/8.

To be honest if I would have known what I was in for from the beginning I probably never would had done it. I will just choose not to run GRP because of the cost. To spend 200 or more dollars on tires and fuel etc...for a club race is a bit much considering technically these are toy cars.

It is good to see the much lower prices on the newer lines of motors which I think will hopefully pressure more companys to do the same. Maybe we can hope the same for tires.

My .02
Jason Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:55 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz
I don't mind spending money for electric. At least I will have someone to race against. I drove 150 miles Saturday and didn't have anybody to race with.
Actually switching into EP can be more expensive than GP to maintain.

For me the cheapest to maintain is still GP 1/10.

Most expensive is 1/8 Off Road.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 AM   #54
Tech Regular

I think it is more important now than ever for manufacturers, distributors, and LHS to keep retail cost down---specifically for the noobs to the hobby. I have many friends that got into the hobby. They know how to fix and set-up their cars, but they eventually dropped out of the hobby because of cost of replacements and cost to be competetive. I see alot of beginners buy their first RTR, and never take the next step due to cost. At the my local track, there are only 1-3 beginners for club races, where they have 5-10 about a year ago. On practice days, I hardly see any noobs at all. Distributors should realize it is the beginners and novices that really fuel this hobby because the sponsored drivers don't have to fork out the dough. We need new blood to keep this hobby going, and by the direction the prices are going now (engines, tires, glow plug, etc) it doesn't look like we are gonna get much.

There are some out there that say "If you can't afford it, then don't do it." But we all have that inner desire to bash and race and win just like the pros. For some, $20/pair of tires is a drop in the bucket cuz they earn $$$$$$, but for the average guy earning $$$, it hurts a bit. If I find cheaper tires online---$9 shipping included, usually from HongKong, I would let my LHS know, and let him try to compete for my business. And he usually gets it. Bottom line is, I, and many of you, will not let GRP, GP (Tower Hobbies) and distributors dictate what price we should pay. Distributors are in the background and they read our opinions. At least we can vent in this forum for free.

my 0.02
Old 05-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse-R
Jack:

Is the own manufacturer the one who needs to thinker about how to get more from the same quantity of raw materials. Maybe something that could help is to give the tyres on really usable diameters (78 or 79mm of diam isn't an usable size on a 1/8 rear, 71 for fronts is three quarters of the same for the touring foams... 65, 64mm of diameter? sheesh!). Give us 63 or 62mm of diameter. My heart is aching when I need to reduce 5mm of the 1/8 rears each round just to true them for qualifiers.

I'm with you that labor on the foam tyres are bigger due to all the glueing and cutting involved. But... maybe manufacturers could struggle a little more selling tyres on usable sizes from the box.

BTW: It's probably Off-Topic, but have you tried to resurrect the capped tyres (Jaco) for the use in 1/8 as rain tyres? Yellow compount with a rain thread could rock on 1/8's.
There are places in the world where 64mm is a starting size for 1/10th 200mm..... And even then we need to change tires in a 45min final

So size is fine as is.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:43 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius
There are places in the world where 64mm is a starting size for 1/10th 200mm..... And even then we need to change tires in a 45min final

So size is fine as is.
Something is wrong then... maybe the tracks, maybe the setup, maybe a too soft tyre.

Just realized in the past two national races (200mm and 1/8) that people insist on running with too soft tyres (37's on 200mm and 35's on 1/8) and the prove was the cars were traction rolling and were doing weird things due to excessive grip. People is just scared of switching to the next hardness.

With a slightly harder shore, the wear problem simply would not exist almost 99.9% confident that's simple and pure lazyness.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Smith
It was said earlier to try racing a full size car some time, and then we would really be able to complain. Well the reason we dont is because of the cost!! In theory rc racing is for the people that cannot do just that ( afford to run a real race car) But you know whats sad? A 1/8 onroad nitro for something competitive after all is said and done can cost upwards of $2,000. A buddy of mine bought a full size competitive stock car for 2,500....with enough tires to last a whole season. We had quite a laugh over the comparison, but yes we both run 1/8.

To be honest if I would have known what I was in for from the beginning I probably never would had done it. I will just choose not to run GRP because of the cost. To spend 200 or more dollars on tires and fuel etc...for a club race is a bit much considering technically these are toy cars.

It is good to see the much lower prices on the newer lines of motors which I think will hopefully pressure more companys to do the same. Maybe we can hope the same for tires.

My .02
I bet I can Auto-X my car for the same cost as racing RC. I enjoy RC so I won't, I believe RC is more satisfying. Since we are able to tinker with suspension, adjusting gear ratios, selection of tires, bodies, etc. There are a set of $360 Kumhos that would last me all year. There was a time I thought of Karting over RC, but that was definately much more expensive. One guy quoted me saying that it would cost about $1,000 each race weekend.

My money is surely spent on the deals. Kits are a different story. I have had three different kits in the last 18 months, but that is my choice and I enjoy it. Also, I keep my personal vehicle 1-2 years because I like to experience different things. Variety is my name of the game.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #58
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Warmac

Corse-R,

With a slightly harder shore on a high grip track, the car actually goes faster...IMO they probably use the softer shore as the compromise between having 2 different sets (shore 37's vs 40's) because of the cost involved. When the track is dusty and traction is not high, the softer shore is the better bet.

The question is ... which costs more? Running the softer shore and finishing the tires faster or runnning two sets having, them last longer but have to pay the costs associated with two sets? IMO...it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
Warmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I just looked at Tower Hobbies, they have the new GRP tires listed to be in in July. The bad news, sedan tires are listed at over $18 per pair.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
I just looked at Tower Hobbies, they have the new GRP tires listed to be in in July. The bad news, sedan tires are listed at over $18 per pair.
Joe:

The very first post of the thread had that info. Tower has had that ridiculous price on their site for a month and a half. Try and keep up pal