R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb Engine Modifications

Hi, eveyone

I would just like to introduce myself, as I am new to this site and also this forum.

I have modified engines in the past (mainly block, sleeve, crank and conrod which is all I know of) and wanted to get all my perceptions of engine modification straight so I can get the best from an engine.

Can anyone interested in engine modification with experience in anyway post successful methods, what they do and how they work benefit engine performance and also pics.

Cheers
Blazin~

Last edited by Blazin~; 05-11-2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Clarity
Blazin~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

i find modifying the piston sleeve conrod starter ring backplate and fluting the crankshaft the most effective
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #3

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Blazin~,

Thats like asking the lottery winner to share their prize with you!!

Most guys that know their stuff, know it from years of hard work and trial and error. It will be very difficult to get good reliable information passed out on a forum!

This is 9th level top secret type stuff your talking about here!!

Good luck!
mxwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Default The key to this secret is...

1. Avoid like plague the shiny polish. Looks cool on the photos but is the worst you can do to your engines (could look cool on the photos, but...). Polishing things like the sleeve can drive you to remove enough material to create a sleeve walking and make their fit defective. Satin finish is your friend.

2. Funky cuts on the sleeve doesn't work, think as a fuel drop and try to make it easier the travel from the lower portion of the crankcase to the ports. Look to the Sirio STi sleeve photos, shows you how to make the travel easier by enlarging and unshrouding the ports passage on the sleeve. Don't go too much further or you can destroy the P/S by removing so much material and warping the Sleeve.

3. Don't look for secret recipes, everything is available at your eye, you must need to train your eye to see what has been done to the engines, sometimes, the most minuscule detail can do a huge diference. No one will tell you what, you need to figure it by eye-balling or by previous experiences and some trial and error (The second is of course, the best).

4. 95% performance gain is done by the intake and exhaust timing.

5. No matter how much power you have on your engine, if the carb adjustment, clutch and the ratios are wrong, your engine will not perform at it's best. Sometimes is better to concentrate on those last 3 rather than looking sheer power on the engine. Doesn't work if the last three aren't ok.

Last but not least, sometimes is better a little less of power output, but a better fuel comsption and a better powerband (try to realize on which part of the powerband you'll be the most of the time and work for this zone). The easyest is to work for making more high-end power, but... the tricky is to work for low-med rpms.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:38 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Orfeous Send a message via AIM to Orfeous Send a message via MSN to Orfeous Send a message via Yahoo to Orfeous

what is the easiest mod on the engine that can make it run better?
besides chaning clutch.. gears.. etc.
Orfeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:57 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeous
what is the easiest mod on the engine that can make it run better?
besides chaning clutch.. gears.. etc.
The easyest you can do for your engine is anything that doesn't involves engine dissasembly, around this you can play with:

- Exhaust manifolds. Conical/Straight, Short/Medium/Long.
- Pipes.
- Carb venturis (reducers).

Other things you can start playing, but this means some working (and getting spare parts for).

- Combustion chamber height.
- Carb low-end needles (shape of their end) and lenghts (tricky... because you may need some additional carb needles for playing with the lenght of them.

Along this, you'd better to have a nice small file set, just to start to work in the metal, a Dremel along some bits (mine preferred are the tungsten carbide ones - tricky to use, easy to mess with them, they grind too much and you ned to have a grasp of using them), Diamond bits too, maybe some polish wheels...
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Orfeous Send a message via AIM to Orfeous Send a message via MSN to Orfeous Send a message via Yahoo to Orfeous

ok, thanks for the tips.. but i dont have any engine to play with
i got an old mugen engine with a green top and was modified by M.Collari

but i dont know what had been modified
Old 05-12-2006, 07:10 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

The most important thing before you decide you have to modify your engine is having your gearbox and clutch set correct. This is were a large part of engine power is lost. Modifying your engine will not help if you havent set these up correctly first.

In general you should be aiming to get the gearbox to change approx. 25-30% along the straight. But it has to be changing in the correct powerband area. I have seen guys complaining they have no power and arguing that their gearbox changes at the right place so its all set correct. The mistake they were making was they were just adjusting the gearbox itself to get the right change point. But the clutch was too loose and the engine bogged on change.

The gear change should be a nice consistent change just like a real car. Their shouldnt be any pause before the change (engine revs topping out before the change) and their shouldnt be a drop in revs (engine bogging down) just after the change.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #9

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Open it up and take a look at all your motors , you can learn a lot just by doing this and knowing which motor was faster.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Let me sugest something in here.
Please don't conceder any of my words as statment or law.
First of all I completetly agree with mxwrench-most of modifiers get their knowlodge over the years by trials and mistakes. There was scintificaly developed banch of rulls and theories, but a lot of them later wasn't prove back.
So base on knowoldge and expirience let me share something with you-first of all-most of mass production engines are made on safe side-meaning that manufactuer pul out good power out of motor, but in the mean time it is easy to tune, reliable and dependable. Then if we need more power we try to bring engine to the limit and this one is making engine harder to tune, less relaible and shorter life. It doesn't mean that moded engines are bad, but it does mean that engine which brought to the line will required more carefull tunning (load and fuel), handeling etc.
As guyd line I can suggest you some ## which defenetly will help you to get some more power out of stock engines (not from all of them-some already made to be on limit line and I am not going to put any brands or models here)

there is direct dependancy between induction timing and transfer, transfer and exhaust. I saw many engines were modify half way and then they we working so funny with result from poor work problem as overheating. I am not going to make class here-I will just give you some safe ## which will increase power but will keep you on pretty much dependable side.
The easiest way to get more power you will need to alter induction timings to the following 35 to open ABDC and 62 to close ATDC, then alter exhaust and transfer timing by adding-6-7 degree to total ##. Esiest way is to add shims under the sleeve. Here is general rull-0.1 mm shimming under the sleeve add about 1.45 degree to transfer and exhaust timings. Altering can be done by cutting ports on sleeve, but it is really dificult work and if you feel comfortble to do it-then go for it. Jut remeber that all lines needs to be perfect straight other wise effect which you are expecting to have will not happened 100% even can act weird. So always rememebr-if you are taking to cut straight line-then it has to be straight after you finish. Also I will sugest you to look into head shimming more carefully as well as heat range of plugs. Most of modded engines will required different plug ranging (then stock engine).
Don't waist your time on polishing internals- it is marketing and the way to hide poor dremeling work. 0.2 micron surface finish is good enough.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread, it has really pointed me towards what I need to concerntrate on.
Thanks guys

Please feel free to keep posting, I want to get as much info as I can and I'm sure anyone else interested would as well.

Thanks again...
Blazin~
Blazin~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #12
Tech Regular

i am cleaning my mugen engine now..

http://umea.mine.nu/~anton/gallery/m...avId=x569b690e
Old 05-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In my experience I have tried to get engines modifed in the past by "reputable" engine modifiers. All that happened was my motors i sent blew up in a couple of tanks of fuel after proper break in on a box. Motors are made as fast as they can be. If you want a modified motor buy one from the manufactuer. And if you send your motors out Do not send them to anyone in philly. And you should not modify your own motors unless you have the proper equipment and a lot of money for trial and error. thats my 2 cents. I am sure I am going to get blasted after this post by so called "modifiers". I call them thiefs.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
Tech Master

Joe
although I respect your feelings, that post is not fair. It is not fair to put all engine tuners in one basket. if you had bad luck with some that is unfortunate but to lump all into one basket and call them thieves is not right. I'm not blasting you I'm just saying the obvious.

Last edited by Motorman; 05-13-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would agree with you except I am not the only one who has had horrible experiences with modifiers. I have had many bad experiences in r/c but i chalked them up to isolated things i should just let go. But I have heard about so many bad modifiers i am 100% turned off on the idea. That is just how I, and many others feel