R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-31-2002, 03:44 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Off the line...fast...

Hi all,
I got my HPI SS engine broke in and all good... but the acc. seems to be slow...
What can I do to increase low speed? gear ratio? tuned pipe(CVEC or AE or which)? which to hopup 1st?

Thanks.
CaptEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:58 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to falcon68

What are you running this on? A NRS4?
If you have a one speed, try a new clutchbell with less teeth. 13 teeth is stock for a RTR, and that is a happy medium. you can go as low as 11 teeth, but keep in mind, you're also limiting your top speed. If you still have the stock clutch, the first thing to do is get a racing clutch. You can cut the first 2 holes off the clutch and make the clutch engage at a higher RPM, thus improving your take-off.
If you have'nt got a racing clutch yet,do this first, then play with the gearing.
If you really have money to spend, than get a centax clutch. A centax clutch allows you to adjust the engagement speed. you can set it to allow your engine to rev way up before it engages, and that will greatly increase the take-off and acceleration.
falcon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:13 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

If you want instant accelleration get a slide carburetor and a fast servo and if you don't have a tuned pipe get one. Our track has a lot of hair pin turns that goes into medum length straights. For this track we all need to be very fast right our of the turns. The slide carb. lets us do this. Everyone that has a standard rotary carb is left in the back.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Default CaptEvo;

That .12SS should be plenty powerful for your car. Try working on the tuning and the 2spd adjustment some more. The racing clutch is a great low cost hop-up, this and the Lightweight flywheel will improve the acceleration greatly.
Don't waste a single dime on a slide carb. When it's time for a new Engine you can buy the slide carb version. A different tuned pipe would probably help some but there are so.... many different types and hwo they effect the powerband of an engine. Try the Clutch and Flywheel first (cheapest route).
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:33 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

That's absolutley right. Might I also suggest a great tuned pipe for you to consider...
MIP makes a touring car side pipe. It's the black one. They provide excellent all around performance.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Default MIP makes a touring car side pipe. It's the black one.

CaptEvo;

The Paris Turbo ring pipe will provide more bottom end punch than the stock pipe ($25-$35).

Racing Clutch $15, Lightweight Flywheel $25-$30. If you get the flywheel , make sure you get the correct one for your engine (pull or non-pullstart)
Old 01-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

schweet... thanks yall!!!
Now back to work so I can earn some $ for more RC parts =(
Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2003, 08:40 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Captevo
I got the SS when it 1st came out. I had the same problem with it no bottom end. What i put on it what a motorsaver air filter, racing clutch cut to the 2nd hole, a ntc3 side ext pipe and a light weight flywheel. I can't say what one help the most but it did help. I tried to put on a paris pipe from my gt-4r but it won't work on the SS. The pipe is on the wrong side of the car for this pipe. Cause of where the wire goes into the tune pipe. You have to tune it upside down then it touches the ground. I only played with it for acouple weeks before i got rid of it. So that is all i did to it. I hope this helps.
Chris
christop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 09:33 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Default upside down paris pipe

CaptEvo;

I was wondering about that since the RS4-3 is shaft drive. A SHORT Fat pipe with a short divergent cone will produce the most bottom end power. I have the Paris Ring pipe on my Kid's Rs4-2 with a .15FE, Traxxas Rotary carb, Pullstart removed, GPM cooling head. Does a good job of running with the Cars that have Novarossi's.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:10 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

I'm not looking to cause an arguement with popsracer, but, I happen to own a paris pipe AND this MIP pipe. I think the MIP provides much better all around performance than my paris. Now as far as bottom end goes, the paris pipe DOES indeed have the bottom end advantage, but the MIP eclipses it in the mid & top end. Just to be sure that we're talking about the same paris pipe, I run a paris pipe number AL12T.
IMO- the paris pipe is better suited to a truck, or to a more powerful .12 than the 12rss.
But either pipe wouldbe leaps and bounds better than the stock piece, hope that helps
Old 01-01-2003, 10:25 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

i think popracer were talking about the turbo ring pipe.

yeah if the nipple is fixed that way, it won't work...
about fly wheel, would this work? any good?

TIA
Old 01-01-2003, 10:30 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

The al12t is a ring pipe.

And I don't see why that flywheel wouldn't work, I run one on one of my RS4-2's
Old 01-01-2003, 10:38 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Default I run a paris pipe number AL12T.

falcon68;

Not trying to argue, but after several years of RACING 1/10 Nitro Cars and Trucks and trying at least a dozen different brands and styles, these are my thoughts:

The MIP pipes (they only have 1 style) is WAY down on power compared to anything else on the market.

The Paris pipe is the Turbo Ring (ribbed wonder), Lots of bottom end power, equal to an Associated pipe.
I don't think you can get any of the older Paris pipes that actually worked better but were not ROAR legal so they have been discontinued.

The pipe on the RS4-3 is actually pretty decent when compared to anything else HPI has offered in their kits before.

Here is the pipes that are on my Cars;

Paris Turbo Ring pipe (on RS4-2 w/.15FE) LOTS of bottom end.

NovaRossi pipe (Reflex NT w/Picco .15RE) Great overall power.

"O"Donnell pipe (HPI Super Nitro w/Picco .15 SE) Good mid to top end power.

Associated RTR pipe (Reflex NT#2 w/ RB.12SE) Good low to mid range power.

Associated STD pipe (Traxxas T-Maxx w/O.S. CVR.15) Fantastic bottom end power.

I still have a MIP pipe but would never even consider using it again after trying these others.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:43 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Default about fly wheel, would this work? any good?

CaptEvo;

How much more is the HPI Flywheel? I think that they are only about $25 and you know it's going to be a perfect fit. That's all I've ever used was the HPI flywheels. Well except on my Super Nitro. I have a Custom Machined flywheel with custom motor mounts.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:55 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

I see, You're running more Expensive pipes than I've run....

I was wondering maybe I can pick your brain for a minute. I'm getting ready to break in an OS .12TR on my NRS4-2 and was wondering if you've run,or might have seen an OS T1030 pipe in action. I've read in two places that they are the best pipes to run with the TR. Any imput????